1995 Chevrolet Lumina - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lumina model:
Another Intake Gasket!
By Izodmartin on 08/02/06 10:46 AM (PDT)

1995 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

Great car in every way but the engine. I purchased this car off eBay with 85,000 on it. It drove nicely and needed very little upkeep until the intake gasket blew. It went while driving 65 on a long highway miles from anywhere. Lucky I had AAA and my cell phone. $300 worth or parts and 2 weekends later the car is driving again.

Chevy Lumina
By Mike Munson on 03/28/06 14:07 PM (PST)

1995 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

Car was essentially problem free till it had 120,000 miles on it then it required replacement of accessories. Engine and transmission was problem free other than valve cover gaskets started to leak at 70k. Limited passing power but gas mileage good. Plenty of headroom but could use more legroom. Nice large trunk. Good visability. Seats have almost no padding.

1995 Lumina - a solid performer
By Andrew on 07/24/05 00:06 AM (PDT)

1995 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

I acquired this car from the original buyer 4 years ago at 82,000 miles. It is an exceptionally roomy and comfortable car for the price, and has run well. Brakes only last about 40,000 mi. This year at 130,000 miles, it needed a major tuneup, spark plug replacement, and intake manifold gasket replacement. About half my miles are cross country, and it has been totally reliable.

95 Lumina
By Happy Driver on 03/10/05 16:21 PM (PST)

1995 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

We bought this car in 97 with 40,000 miles on it. It now has 150,000 miles, mostly highway, but we live on a dirt road and it has seen some rough trips! I love this car - it has been very reliable and the interior is so roomy. Two car seats and kid's stuff in the back is no problem, I've squeezed three in the back, but wouldn't want to do it very often. Only problem we've had (and it cost a lot!) is at 98,000 miles the transmission went out. Mechanic said it's very common on the Lumina and Grand Prix.

It's been a great, reliable car
By immikeb on 07/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

This car has driven me to lots of places in great comfort. It's getting close to time to have a new one, but we'll see how long she lasts.

3.1 and Intake Fun
By poolboy on 03/08/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

70,000 miles and the Intake Manifold fails. I work in the automotive aftermarket. Now that I have had this issue, I can't hear enough about what a piece of junk this 3.1 is. Mechanics said they see this problem all the time with the 3.1. Most leaks leak 'out'. Mine leaked 'in'. A gallon of antifreeze in a crank case is never a good thing. Loved the car, hate the engine. You would have thought GM would have said something about the chronic problem. A new manifold isn't that much to replace....a new engine is.

a boring car
By Tombennett on 03/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

bought for 6 grand with only 27k at 5 yrs old. good power from reliable engine, nice styling, back seat is huge, but at expense of front room. I had to replace rotors, and brakes are not the best in general. No other repairs in 3+ years. Handles like a beached whale, though. If the seats were not so mushy, and the interior not so cheap plastic-ey, I would like it a lot better. But, with a wax job, and those alloy wheels, it looks damn sharp in the driveway. And, with the money i saved driving boring cars like this, I live in a half million dollar house. Not so bad for a school teacher

Black 3.4 l
By Black 3.4 on 02/26/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

The 3.4 spun a rod bearing at 50,000. Ever since I have a 'tack' noise in the upper end of the motor. Otherwise it has been a great car to own/drive.

Problems keep appearing...
By KingTofu on 07/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

Well, I've changed my mind on this vehicle. I'm now at 140,000 miles and I've had to replace another fuel injector which cost another $300. The mechanic said that the 4 other injectors will probably short out in a year or so. Great. Also, I just had to pay $150 to get my left turn signal fixed. I havn't been impressed with the build quality. Cheap materials are used throughout the whole car. I can't recomend this vehicle, I'm getting rid of it as soon as I can.

Lumina LS
By Dawn E on 07/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

I bought the car with 75000 miles. At 82000 miles, the transmission went out. At 90000, the head gasket went out. It warped my heads due to the block being iron and the heads being aluminum. I felt kinda bad for those people who had the 3.4L engine; those head gasket kits were NATIONALLY BACK ORDERED. Must have been a very bad winter on a not-so-good engine. Now, at 93000, I noticed transmission fluid leaking. It bothers me that I still owe more than it's worth and that I've put over $1300 into it the two years I've owned it. If I were you, I wouldn't buy one.