Used 1995 Chevrolet Lumina LS Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Chevrolet Lumina - Consumer Reviews

1995 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan

View reviews for a specific Lumina model:

15 years and still new
By Edgar

1995 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I inherited my 1995 Lumina in 2001 with 4k to 5k on the odometer. The Good. No interior rattles, all power accessories work well, and now with 72,000 miles the engine still runs like new. Smooth ride and tranny. Feels safe. The Bad. It is not the most reliable of vehicles. At just 10000 miles or so i had a leaking intake gasket manifold that cost $800 to fix. minor things such as the power door locks breaking, the AC not working, brakes warping, needing a new ball joint, and fuel injectors needed cleaning. The seats are not very ergonomic and feels like i am sitting in an old catchers mitt. Overall...the engine has adequate performance for freeway merging and makes for a tolerable commute.

Favorite Features

Big, juicy, American-car styling. Alloys look sharp. Very little rust for a 15 year old car. With this car being manufactured in 1995, it was way ahead of its time. Feels solid and interior does not rattle like new cars from Toyota, Mazda, Nissan etc. Smooth transmission feels flawless.

Suggested Improvements

Suspension of a 1970's Buick needs improvement. Needs firmer seats with better lumbar support. Early engine problems do not inspire much confidence with GM products. GM should think about extending factory warranties to compete with Hyundai and Mitsubishi.

Great starter car
By ktcraig

1995 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I am 22 yrs old, bought this car in 2005 with 125,000k on it. The only problems I had was that the rear struts needed to be replaced, and it has quite a bad oil leak. Other than that, I only paid $1,200 for it and it's a great car. Keep it washed and waxed for it will definitely rust. It now has 170,000k and still going strong. Will keep it until it dies.

Favorite Features

Great interior room, good engine, great exterior design, very reliable

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy, better braking system.

Awesome car
By John

1995 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

We bought it with 12000 on it. Just got rid of it yesterday with 172k. Most reliable car I have had. No major motor or transmission issues. We kept up with the maintenance. All things end. This year we were fixing things monthly. On the way to shop for brake switch the master cylinder failed and the brakes mostly locked up. Only recurring problem with the Lumina was brakes and rotors. Replaced them all several times and still they warped and the rear in particular would sqeak and had to be cleaned frequently. Mechanic said the Luminas were known for this problem. I will miss my Lumina.

Favorite Features

Comfortable ride.

Overall Good Car
By usedmeacar

1995 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

My wife and I bought this car off a "lemon lot" in the NW. It had I wanna say 130,000 on it when we bought for lil over 2k. The only thing we have had to replace was the ECM and that was a year after we bought it. Overall the car has never left me stranded and always starts(unless she dosnt shut off the dome light) I then sold it to my sister at 189,000 miles and then bought it back at 192,000. And with OEM struts, they are totally shot and the car feels like its going to leave the road, and now rides like a lumber truck.

Favorite Features

Take off, and passing power. 55 to 80 in a blink of an eye.

Suggested Improvements

Struts, but the care is no longer made.

As expected
By Mo-Jo

1995 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

Granny has tranny issues and sold the car to me at 80,000 miles. Had that fixed and put 50,000 more miles before it was using so much oil I couldn't get 3000 miles without adding oil. I ended up neglecting it once and now it needs an engine. During that time I changed the water pump, compressor, and some sensors.

Favorite Features

Amount of room to stretch out inside.

Suggested Improvements

Better transmission and intake manifold.