1995 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lumina model:
Cylinder heads
By GERRY on 09/19/09 19:42 PM (PDT)

1995 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

In 7 years i had to change everything in the engine, including failure of the cylinder heads at 85,000 miles and at 156,000 miles. That second time (last Thursday), I scraped the car.

Glad it was FREE !!!!!!
By Dusty on 09/21/07 09:17 AM (PDT)

1995 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

My Mother-in-law gave this car to my wife with 29,000 miles on it. She had already replaced the alternator twice by then. At 30,000 it had to be replaced again. I'm getting really nervous because it's only a couple of hundred miles below 40,000 now. We just paid over $500 to have new brake pads and shoes replaced as well as 2 new rotors and 1 new drum. So far there have been no motor or transmission problems. But I'm sure they're not far away. I wouldn't have another one of these, even if it was free again. The trunk looses quite a bit of space due to those arms that swing down in the way. All in all it's just a BAD car.

Solid car
By GreggVT on 07/11/07 16:05 PM (PDT)

1995 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car five years ago and have been happy with it. Being an older car, I have had to get some repairs done on it. However, none of the repairs have been major. I bought it with a little over 100000 miles and it's running strong at almost 160K.

Family Sedan
By MANCHEVY on 01/21/07 15:10 PM (PST)

1995 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

Well we have had this car since new June 1994 and still running today as new in Jan 2007. That is saying something. It was even totaled in a wreck back in 1996, but it was fixed well and still continues to run like a top. I have since put in a K&N air filter, hi performance igntion wires, 16 inch chrome Gm alloy wheels, synthetic oil by Mobil and has seen over 200 hp, and will go with duel exhaust. ACworks well, heat works. All dash and interior lights work and body is still solid with a couple of dents and some paint chipping, but still kept like factory. I have added foglamps, neons, and wind deflectors. Will add other mods later.

My first car
By Big Al on 01/15/07 19:28 PM (PST)

1995 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

I'm an 18 year old kid that just had their Lumina die on them at 169k mi. I've been driving this car for almost 2.5 years and I have to say I had a lot of memories learning to drive on it. I liked the smooth ride and good snow traction. Some things that went wrong were old brakes, a faulty alternator and its chronic coolant leakage problem, but consider the age (169k miles). Don't get me wrong, overall I would recommend this car to anyone looking for a cheap used car that is roomy and smooth. Watch out for the white ones though, they will always start flaking major amounts of paint after a while (every white Lumina I have seen does this). I haven't seen any other color defect like this.

Chevy Lumina
By Mike Munson on 03/28/06 14:07 PM (PST)

1995 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

Car was essentially problem free till it had 120,000 miles on it then it required replacement of accessories. Engine and transmission was problem free other than valve cover gaskets started to leak at 70k. Limited passing power but gas mileage good. Plenty of headroom but could use more legroom. Nice large trunk. Good visability. Seats have almost no padding.

1995 Lumina - a solid performer
By Andrew on 07/24/05 00:06 AM (PDT)

1995 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

I acquired this car from the original buyer 4 years ago at 82,000 miles. It is an exceptionally roomy and comfortable car for the price, and has run well. Brakes only last about 40,000 mi. This year at 130,000 miles, it needed a major tuneup, spark plug replacement, and intake manifold gasket replacement. About half my miles are cross country, and it has been totally reliable.

95 Lumina
By Happy Driver on 03/10/05 16:21 PM (PST)

1995 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

We bought this car in 97 with 40,000 miles on it. It now has 150,000 miles, mostly highway, but we live on a dirt road and it has seen some rough trips! I love this car - it has been very reliable and the interior is so roomy. Two car seats and kid's stuff in the back is no problem, I've squeezed three in the back, but wouldn't want to do it very often. Only problem we've had (and it cost a lot!) is at 98,000 miles the transmission went out. Mechanic said it's very common on the Lumina and Grand Prix.

3.1 and Intake Fun
By poolboy on 03/08/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

70,000 miles and the Intake Manifold fails. I work in the automotive aftermarket. Now that I have had this issue, I can't hear enough about what a piece of junk this 3.1 is. Mechanics said they see this problem all the time with the 3.1. Most leaks leak 'out'. Mine leaked 'in'. A gallon of antifreeze in a crank case is never a good thing. Loved the car, hate the engine. You would have thought GM would have said something about the chronic problem. A new manifold isn't that much to replace....a new engine is.

a boring car
By Tombennett on 03/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

bought for 6 grand with only 27k at 5 yrs old. good power from reliable engine, nice styling, back seat is huge, but at expense of front room. I had to replace rotors, and brakes are not the best in general. No other repairs in 3+ years. Handles like a beached whale, though. If the seats were not so mushy, and the interior not so cheap plastic-ey, I would like it a lot better. But, with a wax job, and those alloy wheels, it looks damn sharp in the driveway. And, with the money i saved driving boring cars like this, I live in a half million dollar house. Not so bad for a school teacher