Used 1995 Chevrolet Lumina Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Chevrolet Lumina - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lumina model:

Cylinder heads
By GERRY

1995 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

In 7 years i had to change everything in the engine, including failure of the cylinder heads at 85,000 miles and at 156,000 miles. That second time (last Thursday), I scraped the car.

Excellent acceleration, 28mpg highway, very comfortable seats, smooth suspension and silent running on the highway.

Thermodymamics studies and design for the head was either wrong or it has built-in obsolence by design.

Glad it was FREE !!!!!!
By Dusty

1995 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

My Mother-in-law gave this car to my wife with 29,000 miles on it. She had already replaced the alternator twice by then. At 30,000 it had to be replaced again. I'm getting really nervous because it's only a couple of hundred miles below 40,000 now. We just paid over $500 to have new brake pads and shoes replaced as well as 2 new rotors and 1 new drum. So far there have been no motor or transmission problems. But I'm sure they're not far away. I wouldn't have another one of these, even if it was free again. The trunk looses quite a bit of space due to those arms that swing down in the way. All in all it's just a BAD car.

It was FREE !!! It's kinda peppy for having the small (3.1) motor. The interior is fairly comfortable.

Jack up the license plate and drive another make up to it.

Solid car
By GreggVT

1995 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car five years ago and have been happy with it. Being an older car, I have had to get some repairs done on it. However, none of the repairs have been major. I bought it with a little over 100000 miles and it's running strong at almost 160K.

Relatively reliable and gets solid gas mileage for an old car. I think the ride is very comfortable.

Acceleration could probably begin faster. Once it gets accelerating, it does well but there's a delay. Paint could also be improved as it chips easily, and I've seen this problem on almost every Lumina out on the streets. A couple controls are hard to find (rear defroster).

Family Sedan
By MANCHEVY

1995 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

Well we have had this car since new June 1994 and still running today as new in Jan 2007. That is saying something. It was even totaled in a wreck back in 1996, but it was fixed well and still continues to run like a top. I have since put in a K&N air filter, hi performance igntion wires, 16 inch chrome Gm alloy wheels, synthetic oil by Mobil and has seen over 200 hp, and will go with duel exhaust. ACworks well, heat works. All dash and interior lights work and body is still solid with a couple of dents and some paint chipping, but still kept like factory. I have added foglamps, neons, and wind deflectors. Will add other mods later.

Has great acceleration. Unmatched by any of its time, even against a Ford 500. Fuel economy is there so as long as I maintain tire pressure, and good oil. I use only synthetic. Timeless styling. It always looks like it belongs with current car models. Good on the highway too.

Could of used more power maybe a 3.8, like my impala.

My first car
By Big Al

1995 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

I'm an 18 year old kid that just had their Lumina die on them at 169k mi. I've been driving this car for almost 2.5 years and I have to say I had a lot of memories learning to drive on it. I liked the smooth ride and good snow traction. Some things that went wrong were old brakes, a faulty alternator and its chronic coolant leakage problem, but consider the age (169k miles). Don't get me wrong, overall I would recommend this car to anyone looking for a cheap used car that is roomy and smooth. Watch out for the white ones though, they will always start flaking major amounts of paint after a while (every white Lumina I have seen does this). I haven't seen any other color defect like this.

Roomy interior, roomy trunk, smooth ride, exterior durability, snow traction

Better AC/defrost. Fix the white Luminas' chronic paint chipping problem. Fix coolant leaking problem. Why a separate key for the trunk?