Used 1992 Chevrolet Lumina Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lumina model:

little catty
By robert thoms

1992 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

car drives excellent, gives on trouble.every body in the family drives it when they need a ride.i drive it mostly to work about 45 miles a day. my daughter drove it to jackson,ms about a year,the rubber part on the transmission lines broke, had to replace them,did that myself a/c line busted, never replaced it, to get the a/c going again would cost more than the car was worth air vent works real good

fun to drive,comfortable to ride in good visionall around

could have done a better job on the rear spring.the rubber tips wore out makes a chattering noise on rough roads

Worst Car I Ever Owned
By Brian

1992 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

My Dad pushed me into this car while I was unemployed, after wrecking the family heirloom (again), the '87 Celebrity wagon. The Lumina was as unreliable as the '94 Grand Am GT Quad4 HO I used to have, but was totally lame on top of it, and had worse fuel economy than the GAGT. In typical 90's GM fashion, there were no catastrophes with the car (saving it from a 1 in reliability), but literally every month something needed attention to keep it running.

The beautiful sound and flat torque of GM's 60* V6s is undeniable. Also there really isn't much fault in the Hydramatic 4-speed auto. Powertrains is what GM does best. The fully independent suspension provides plenty of comfort and controlled (but no where nearing sporty) handling.

BRAKES! I assumed with twin piston fronts and *gasp* rear disc this thing would stop on a dime. WRONG! I have never driven a car with such terrible stopping performance. I blame it partially for the minor rear-ending of a K car I caused. Reliability obviously. Also it's just a lame car.

1992 Lumina - Odometer 48,000 miles
By Lumina Fan

1992 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 1992 Lumina in 1994 from a couple who entered a nursing home. I've had very few problems with my Lumina. Wish they still made this model. Chevy probably didn't because people were hanging on to them too long! There's only 48,000 miles on the odometer (yes, that's the correct number) Right now, the Lumina does need some minor repairs - hoses, tires - I get a complete tuneup every year, but I now have a 2007 Chevy Cobalt, so I'm afraid I will need to sell my Lumina. I've never had a car that lasted so long with so few problems! I only hope the Cobalt will do as well.

13 Years and counting
By Jerry

1992 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought in 02, it now has over 190k miles on it. Very roomy and comfortable. AC has not worked since I got it. Interior is coming apart. Had to replace fuel pump, breaks, ball bearing in suspension. Several fuel injection problems. Easy to maintain though: Door handle broke once, my dad fixed with a zip tie, headlight came off, fixed with superglue. It's still a great first vehicle.

Spacious seating, easy air control panels. Easy to repair.

Overall it's a great car, just a few problems with electrical and fuel injeciton.

Mina Has Been A Joy!
By Sara

1992 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

We bought "Mina" as I call her with 65,000 miles,from a small country dealer. She was our family car for 10 years, and then went with our son for his last two years of college. She has now been our daughter's for these last 2 years. Except for the brakes (approx. every 18 mos. they need replacing. Defect at manufacture, and regular maintenance items she has been so reliable and has served us so well. We couldn't ask for anything more from this car! Has a lot of body issues now, and we have decided to sell her. Sad, I would like to keep her until she lies down and dies, but, the daughter needs something more safe at this point.

The ride! It's so comfortable, quiet! The power! She flies when needed. Interior exceptional in comfort and style! Body held up for many, many years! After 10 years, I still got compliments on her.

The brake issue! Which Chevy finally admitted too with this model year. There was a settlement, but with so many complaints, we got like $17.00 about 8 years ago. Clearly, Chevy stopped making this car because it lasts too long and has too few problems.