1992 Chevrolet Lumina - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lumina model:
little catty
By robert thoms on 11/14/09 18:06 PM (PST)

1992 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

car drives excellent, gives on trouble.every body in the family drives it when they need a ride.i drive it mostly to work about 45 miles a day. my daughter drove it to jackson,ms about a year,the rubber part on the transmission lines broke, had to replace them,did that myself a/c line busted, never replaced it, to get the a/c going again would cost more than the car was worth air vent works real good

Worst Car I Ever Owned
By Brian on 04/01/09 21:13 PM (PDT)

1992 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

My Dad pushed me into this car while I was unemployed, after wrecking the family heirloom (again), the '87 Celebrity wagon. The Lumina was as unreliable as the '94 Grand Am GT Quad4 HO I used to have, but was totally lame on top of it, and had worse fuel economy than the GAGT. In typical 90's GM fashion, there were no catastrophes with the car (saving it from a 1 in reliability), but literally every month something needed attention to keep it running.

Surprised
By Zeno54 on 12/12/08 19:02 PM (PST)

1992 Chevrolet Lumina Euro 4dr Sedan

It was 10 yrs old with 93K when I bought it. It was fully loaded with an awesome GM Bose sound system. The 3.1 V6 was quick and powerful, yet with the overdrive, it got great gas mileage, 22 mpg city/38-40 hwy at 70+mph with cruise control on several long trips from Pa. to Fl. and Tx. The floating caliper was a faulty design and I had to replace the brake pads every 6 months. The r/r outer pad would be all wore out, yet the rest still looked new. Got smart and changed only the outer pad if the others had no wear. After 16 yrs, minimal body rust, but the salt did a number on the undercarriage, brake lines and any bolts. I'd still be driving it, but a truck hit me and totaled it. Still ran great at 216K.

Good yet bad?
By numcore on 11/06/08 21:02 PM (PST)

1992 Chevrolet Lumina Z34 2dr Coupe

OK this car has been pretty good to me. I got very lucky on the whole mileage thing. The person kept it in their driveway for years. That's where the problems started. This car wasn't used to being used every day. Very very costly for everything. Most people can't work on it without special equipment meaning you have to take it to the dealer to get anything fixed. The air alone cost me major dolars not to mention the timing belt.

1992 Lumina - Odometer 48,000 miles
By Lumina Fan on 06/13/08 14:11 PM (PDT)

1992 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 1992 Lumina in 1994 from a couple who entered a nursing home. I've had very few problems with my Lumina. Wish they still made this model. Chevy probably didn't because people were hanging on to them too long! There's only 48,000 miles on the odometer (yes, that's the correct number) Right now, the Lumina does need some minor repairs - hoses, tires - I get a complete tuneup every year, but I now have a 2007 Chevy Cobalt, so I'm afraid I will need to sell my Lumina. I've never had a car that lasted so long with so few problems! I only hope the Cobalt will do as well.

13 Years and counting
By Jerry on 03/19/08 07:50 AM (PDT)

1992 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

Bought in 02, it now has over 190k miles on it. Very roomy and comfortable. AC has not worked since I got it. Interior is coming apart. Had to replace fuel pump, breaks, ball bearing in suspension. Several fuel injection problems. Easy to maintain though: Door handle broke once, my dad fixed with a zip tie, headlight came off, fixed with superglue. It's still a great first vehicle.

Mina Has Been A Joy!
By Sara on 09/10/07 15:29 PM (PDT)

1992 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

We bought "Mina" as I call her with 65,000 miles,from a small country dealer. She was our family car for 10 years, and then went with our son for his last two years of college. She has now been our daughter's for these last 2 years. Except for the brakes (approx. every 18 mos. they need replacing. Defect at manufacture, and regular maintenance items she has been so reliable and has served us so well. We couldn't ask for anything more from this car! Has a lot of body issues now, and we have decided to sell her. Sad, I would like to keep her until she lies down and dies, but, the daughter needs something more safe at this point.

Nice first car
By Jason Bloom on 08/20/07 18:35 PM (PDT)

1992 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

I am 17 and I got this car as my first car. I got it with 175,000 miles on it. I drive it around 100 miles a day (M- F), mostly highway. I have had to replace the struts, spark plugs, plug wires. I have also replaced the radio. The car rides well. It is a little loud because of the mileage on the drivetrain, but other than that it rides fine. The seats are really comfortable. The gas mileage could be a little better, only about 25mpg. Reliable. Just now, at 180,000 miles, having a major problem with drivability. My trunk leaks. The car also shifts really rough. Other than that, no real problems. Overall, my Lumina is a good first car.

Up to par with any import!
By YankeeCowboy on 12/23/06 09:01 AM (PST)

1992 Chevrolet Lumina Euro 4dr Sedan

Bought the car with intentions of fixing the rust and moding the car with Z34 model parts. Did some of this. The car is very reliable and quick, I recently took a newer model Trans Am off the line at a red light. Unfortunatly I'm now buying a newer car because I'll be out of college and looking to move. The engine is still great. The Buffalo winters just took its toll and there is body and frame rust, and the rack is leaking power steering fluid. If I didn't need a car to move south I'd be keeping this. Unfortunatly now my stereo system in the car is worth more than the car is. She handles great in the winter! I treated her well and she only got the best. Full synthetic oil and 93 octane gas

Its been great!
By Doug_in_GA on 07/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

Bought this car at 60K miles. Now turning 191k, original engine and trans. I've probably spent 8c a mile lifetime to drive this car, *everything* included (ins,gas,maint,repair, orig cost). Its never left me stranded. I'm ready for something new, but will drive this as long as it passes emissions.