Used 1990 Chevrolet Lumina Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Chevrolet Lumina - Consumer Reviews

1990 Chevrolet Lumina

View reviews for a specific Lumina model:

old Blue
By Koots

1990 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

Bought car in 93. Replaced head gaskets once. Two water pumps.One rebuilt failed Two crankshaft sensors, one non gm. One ps pump, got one from junk yard. Two rear brake calipers, poor design. One cat converter. Has 206000 miles on it. Drives like new. Very dependable. Rusty rockers.

Favorite Features

3.1 engine, overdrive trans, Frt wheel drive. Rack and pinion steering.

Suggested Improvements

Lumbar supports, eliminate torque convertor lockup shutter, install Tcc lockout switch. I did.

Big Blue
By steve malroy

1990 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

I have enjoyed my 1990 Lumina from the start. It always starts and runs like a champ. It gets me to where I need to go with a little sportiness and responsive, powerful 3.1. Now with 124,600, its not as good as it was new, but still will put you into your seat when you want to get up and go.

Favorite Features

I like the location of the radio and heat controls. I also like the 12 slot rally hubcaps hubcap option along with the dash that wraps around you.

Suggested Improvements

The back brakes have to be replaced every 15,000 miles because of seizing calpiers. The hubcaps also have plastic clips and once you take them on and off for a few times, the clips break and you can't keep them on the car anymore.

Its a reliable car! But....
By My Lumina

1990 Chevrolet Lumina Euro 4dr Sedan

My lumina is not in the best shape... when I bought it everything was great... however I never really took care of it. The 3.1L engine is very easy to fix. I got into a car accident, and totaled the other car, my Lumina started up, and drove away. I aslo had an experience with water, the water was all the way up to the bottom of the doors, and engine was partly submerged, it started JUST GREAT!!!! And ran awesome! However I have a transmission leak, and have heard that it is pretty common for my model Lumina.

Favorite Features

The dependablity of my Lumina, no matter what it goes through it still runs fine! I put a after-market cd player... the speakers sound great... they sound like brand new speakers... great soung quality!Roomy & comfy!

Suggested Improvements

Break wear =(

My First car
By enb74

1990 Chevrolet Lumina Euro 4dr Sedan

The Lumina was the first car I owned. I purchased it in 97 w125K Miles We drove this car everywhere. From NY to Canada to the South you name it. Great car great performance. Brakes wear is a trend of Lumina but not a big deal. Gas Mileage is decent for a used car. We sadly retire the Car at 276K Miles !! Original engine and trany. GM did a good job with this car and I will forever remember that.

Favorite Features

Engine, comfort, performance, reliability

Suggested Improvements

Breaks tend to go faster, more gauges on the dashboard mine did not have a temp. gauge even.

Good, reliable car
By ads93

1990 Chevrolet Lumina Euro 2dr Coupe

Bought the car used in '95 with 63K miles. Had a new 3.1L engine put in due to factory recall that same year. Only routine maintenance was needed. The life of the brakes may have been the only negative, however it wasn't too bad. Got me through college and the first 6 years after graduation.

Favorite Features

Handling was nice and tight. Decent performance. Very smooth at highway speeds. Very reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Brakes could have been more robust.