1990 Chevrolet Lumina - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lumina model:
I was surprised...I love my Lumina
By amcelr2 on 02/20/10 14:36 PM (PST)

1990 Chevrolet Lumina Euro 2dr Coupe

I brought my Lumina 2 years ago...It was already 18 years old but it only had 90,000 miles on it. It was a 1 owner but it had been sitting for about 2 years. I wasn't crazy about it when I went and looked at it but once I drove it I was really impressed and I got a really good deal. I have had no problems at all besides brakes and I have put 55,000 miles on it. It is very well made and fun to drive. It holds the road and has all the power I need and then some. It is very reliable, I know I can hop right in it and take it anywhere I need to go and it looks really nice cleaned up. Even though it is now 20 years old, it is one of the best vehicles I have ever brought! Very well made...

The Alumina Foil
By John on 07/11/09 12:44 PM (PDT)

1990 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

This car has over 278,000 and may make it to 300,000 it has been through 2 sons learning to drive, and they are not easy on vehicles. It is still running strong, only have had to do minor work, Wonder if Chevy would like it back for a study, They did good on this 3.1 FI engine. Only parts replace fuel pump, 250,000, radiator and 275,000. Keep the oil changed, Tran fluid changed, it goes and goes. If GM could repeat this with all their cars, Bankruptcy would never be in their history.

Old "Mina"
By Mol on 03/20/09 12:03 PM (PDT)

1990 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

For what this car lacks in the looks department it more than makes up for in the reliability department! It literally doesn't matter what you do to it, this car refuses to quit running- and I've done a LOT to it... It totes my dogs around, it's been hit by a deer... it's been left in the woods with the windows down in the rain (by the previous owner...). At 147,000 miles the ride's now a little dicey sometimes, but that can be expected with any geriatric car!

Sweet Magpie the Miracle Car
By Slanball on 06/13/06 17:54 PM (PDT)

1990 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

I bought my Lumina for 800 and it had 150k miles on it. My intention was just to drive it into the ground and buy a better car. But, I have yet had the opportunity to junk this magical car. I've put about 35k miles on it and have had to do $0 worth of work to it. Sure it leaks oil, has terrible shocks that I wont replace, and looks bad, but this car has literally saved me thousands of dollars that I didn't have.

Little Red
By kj2711 on 07/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 96 I believe. It had 190,000 miles on it. Just turned 244,800+ miles this week and still going just not as strong as she used to. Gets about 19-20 MPG around town and 27-29 MPG on the highway. No major problems until about 2 years ago but everything that had to be replaced since then was just age. Within the last 2-3 years, I've replaced the heater core, fuel pump, radiator, rack & pinion, power steering pump and water pump. Getting ready to sell it because I'm ready for something newer with lower miles. Still dependable transportation for daily use around town.

old Blue
By Koots on 03/14/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

Bought car in 93. Replaced head gaskets once. Two water pumps.One rebuilt failed Two crankshaft sensors, one non gm. One ps pump, got one from junk yard. Two rear brake calipers, poor design. One cat converter. Has 206000 miles on it. Drives like new. Very dependable. Rusty rockers.

Big Blue
By steve malroy on 04/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

I have enjoyed my 1990 Lumina from the start. It always starts and runs like a champ. It gets me to where I need to go with a little sportiness and responsive, powerful 3.1. Now with 124,600, its not as good as it was new, but still will put you into your seat when you want to get up and go.

Its a reliable car! But....
By My Lumina on 03/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Chevrolet Lumina Euro 4dr Sedan

My lumina is not in the best shape... when I bought it everything was great... however I never really took care of it. The 3.1L engine is very easy to fix. I got into a car accident, and totaled the other car, my Lumina started up, and drove away. I aslo had an experience with water, the water was all the way up to the bottom of the doors, and engine was partly submerged, it started JUST GREAT!!!! And ran awesome! However I have a transmission leak, and have heard that it is pretty common for my model Lumina.

My First car
By enb74 on 03/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Chevrolet Lumina Euro 4dr Sedan

The Lumina was the first car I owned. I purchased it in 97 w125K Miles We drove this car everywhere. From NY to Canada to the South you name it. Great car great performance. Brakes wear is a trend of Lumina but not a big deal. Gas Mileage is decent for a used car. We sadly retire the Car at 276K Miles !! Original engine and trany. GM did a good job with this car and I will forever remember that.

Good, reliable car
By ads93 on 01/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Chevrolet Lumina Euro 2dr Coupe

Bought the car used in '95 with 63K miles. Had a new 3.1L engine put in due to factory recall that same year. Only routine maintenance was needed. The life of the brakes may have been the only negative, however it wasn't too bad. Got me through college and the first 6 years after graduation.