Used 1990 Chevrolet Lumina Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Chevrolet Lumina - Consumer Reviews

1990 Chevrolet Lumina

View reviews for a specific Lumina model:

never a problem
By allthatndoritoes

1990 Chevrolet Lumina 2dr Coupe

Of all the years I've drove this car I never had any major problems. I've had the fuel pump go but that was all. The car is roomy, comfortable and has an good trunk size.

Favorite Features

sporty but classy style.

Suggested Improvements

I think the only change I could possibly make would be the paint. It tends to go dull after awhile and wax don't improve it.

Good, reliable car
By ads93

1990 Chevrolet Lumina Euro 2dr Coupe

Bought the car used in '95 with 63K miles. Had a new 3.1L engine put in due to factory recall that same year. Only routine maintenance was needed. The life of the brakes may have been the only negative, however it wasn't too bad. Got me through college and the first 6 years after graduation.

Favorite Features

Handling was nice and tight. Decent performance. Very smooth at highway speeds. Very reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Brakes could have been more robust.

Old "Mina"
By Mol

1990 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

For what this car lacks in the looks department it more than makes up for in the reliability department! It literally doesn't matter what you do to it, this car refuses to quit running- and I've done a LOT to it... It totes my dogs around, it's been hit by a deer... it's been left in the woods with the windows down in the rain (by the previous owner...). At 147,000 miles the ride's now a little dicey sometimes, but that can be expected with any geriatric car!

Favorite Features

It's like driving a sherman tank. Hitting a deer knocked 4 squares out of the grille.

Suggested Improvements

Mine's got a lot of little things wrong... overall, though, the model is pretty good. It's so heavy, though, that it doesn't get great gas mileage.

I was surprised...I love my Lumina
By amcelr2

1990 Chevrolet Lumina Euro 2dr Coupe

I brought my Lumina 2 years ago...It was already 18 years old but it only had 90,000 miles on it. It was a 1 owner but it had been sitting for about 2 years. I wasn't crazy about it when I went and looked at it but once I drove it I was really impressed and I got a really good deal. I have had no problems at all besides brakes and I have put 55,000 miles on it. It is very well made and fun to drive. It holds the road and has all the power I need and then some. It is very reliable, I know I can hop right in it and take it anywhere I need to go and it looks really nice cleaned up. Even though it is now 20 years old, it is one of the best vehicles I have ever brought! Very well made...

Favorite Features

How well it handles and the 3.1 V6. Plenty of get up and go which makes it so fun to drive...

Suggested Improvements

I would say probably the brakes, have had to put brakes on this twice, they seem a little bit weak. Also the door handles. I have broke the one on my passenger side and it had to be replaced. They break very easily. The doors are so heavy and they get all the weight because of where they are placed.

The Alumina Foil
By John

1990 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

This car has over 278,000 and may make it to 300,000 it has been through 2 sons learning to drive, and they are not easy on vehicles. It is still running strong, only have had to do minor work, Wonder if Chevy would like it back for a study, They did good on this 3.1 FI engine. Only parts replace fuel pump, 250,000, radiator and 275,000. Keep the oil changed, Tran fluid changed, it goes and goes. If GM could repeat this with all their cars, Bankruptcy would never be in their history.

Favorite Features

Roomy interior, pick-ups up good even after 20 years.

Suggested Improvements

Paint was not right on this year this one is now all primer just to keep the service rust down, and curb the flaking.