Used 1990 Chevrolet Lumina Consumer Reviews - 14 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Chevrolet Lumina - Consumer Reviews

1990 Chevrolet Lumina

View reviews for a specific Lumina model:

I was surprised...I love my Lumina
By amcelr2

1990 Chevrolet Lumina Euro 2dr Coupe

I brought my Lumina 2 years ago...It was already 18 years old but it only had 90,000 miles on it. It was a 1 owner but it had been sitting for about 2 years. I wasn't crazy about it when I went and looked at it but once I drove it I was really impressed and I got a really good deal. I have had no problems at all besides brakes and I have put 55,000 miles on it. It is very well made and fun to drive. It holds the road and has all the power I need and then some. It is very reliable, I know I can hop right in it and take it anywhere I need to go and it looks really nice cleaned up. Even though it is now 20 years old, it is one of the best vehicles I have ever brought! Very well made...

How well it handles and the 3.1 V6. Plenty of get up and go which makes it so fun to drive...

I would say probably the brakes, have had to put brakes on this twice, they seem a little bit weak. Also the door handles. I have broke the one on my passenger side and it had to be replaced. They break very easily. The doors are so heavy and they get all the weight because of where they are placed.

The Alumina Foil
By John

1990 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

This car has over 278,000 and may make it to 300,000 it has been through 2 sons learning to drive, and they are not easy on vehicles. It is still running strong, only have had to do minor work, Wonder if Chevy would like it back for a study, They did good on this 3.1 FI engine. Only parts replace fuel pump, 250,000, radiator and 275,000. Keep the oil changed, Tran fluid changed, it goes and goes. If GM could repeat this with all their cars, Bankruptcy would never be in their history.

Roomy interior, pick-ups up good even after 20 years.

Paint was not right on this year this one is now all primer just to keep the service rust down, and curb the flaking.

Old "Mina"
By Mol

1990 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

For what this car lacks in the looks department it more than makes up for in the reliability department! It literally doesn't matter what you do to it, this car refuses to quit running- and I've done a LOT to it... It totes my dogs around, it's been hit by a deer... it's been left in the woods with the windows down in the rain (by the previous owner...). At 147,000 miles the ride's now a little dicey sometimes, but that can be expected with any geriatric car!

It's like driving a sherman tank. Hitting a deer knocked 4 squares out of the grille.

Mine's got a lot of little things wrong... overall, though, the model is pretty good. It's so heavy, though, that it doesn't get great gas mileage.

Sweet Magpie the Miracle Car
By Slanball

1990 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

I bought my Lumina for 800 and it had 150k miles on it. My intention was just to drive it into the ground and buy a better car. But, I have yet had the opportunity to junk this magical car. I've put about 35k miles on it and have had to do $0 worth of work to it. Sure it leaks oil, has terrible shocks that I wont replace, and looks bad, but this car has literally saved me thousands of dollars that I didn't have.

Reliability, reliability, reliability.

Little Red
By kj2711

I bought this car in 96 I believe. It
had 190,000 miles on it. Just turned
244,800+ miles this week and still
going just not as strong as she used
to. Gets about 19-20 MPG around town
and 27-29 MPG on the highway. No
major problems until about 2 years ago
but everything that had to be replaced
since then was just age. Within the
last 2-3 years, I've replaced the
heater core, fuel pump, radiator, rack
& pinion, power steering pump and
water pump. Getting ready to sell it
because I'm ready for something newer
with lower miles. Still dependable
transportation for daily use around
town.

Lots of leg room - front and back seats. Lots of trunk space.

Wish GM still made this vehicle - I'd buy another one.