1996 Chevrolet Lumina Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lumina Minivan model:
Durable Van
By Todd on 05/01/09 21:19 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Lumina Minivan 3dr Minivan

I purchased this van in 2001 with only 50000 km on it. I have put another 160000 on it since then. We have used it as a daily commuter, vacationing vehicle and transport vehicle to help friends and family move. It has seen its share of use and abuse. I have been diligent with regular maintenance, and for the first 207000 km I have had no problems with the motor or transmission. Just recently at 208000 km the intake manifold gasket has started to leak. Over the years I have replaced the water pump, fuel pump, wiper motor, interior fan motor, and driver's seat cushion/chasis. Breaks and tires are the only other things that I have had to dump money into, but hey, nothing lasts forever!

Best car I ever owned
By bill on 03/06/05 00:42 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Lumina Minivan 3dr Minivan

I have owned this mini van since it was new. I am currently considering a new vehicle. I am researching the same car. This car has done everything I have asked of it and then some. It is an extremely versitile vehicle, from hauling 7 people to piles of lumber with seats removed. This car has never left me stranded and the only reason I am considering a new one is mileage.

Very glad I bought my Lumina 5 years ago
By Brad L. McIlvain on 03/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Lumina Minivan 3dr Minivan

5 years ago I saw a 96 Lumina Mini- van.Dark red with the ground effects package. Checked it out and test drove it. I was amazed at the power it had.I think the v6 is 190 hp or so,and it only weighs 3300lbs. It only gets 17mpg around town but I get 25mpg on the highway,with a best of 27.I have driven to Colorado a number of times,with trips to Las Vegas,Phoenix and even a 24 hour drive to Miami and 24 hours back. I drove Phoenix to Albequerque on 1 tank of gas and made it home on 1.That was 1000 miles with one stop! Never had any mech. problems or breakdowns.

short-lived engine
By Terri on 02/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Lumina Minivan 3dr Minivan

I loved this van, but the temperature gauge started going up, so I brought it to a reputable garage, and they told me there were metal filings and antifreeze in the oil and that it needed a new engine. It only had 117,000 miles on it. Because of the design, which makes access to the engine very difficult, it would cost $3000 to repair.

Excellent Van
By Mike loves on 12/07/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Lumina Minivan 3dr Minivan

This van is an all around great family van!

Good reliable car
By MALLMANRED on 10/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Lumina Minivan 3dr Minivan

We bought the car used. No major problems with it. Runs good.

satisfied owner
By amigo on 09/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Lumina Minivan 3dr Minivan

other than noisy windshield wipers no negative experiences.

Nice van
By jazzsegue on 06/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Lumina Minivan 3dr Minivan

We've owned several vans over the years and use them pretty hard in our antiques business. The Lumina is far superior to the Caravan we had (I'd not own one of those again if it was gifted to me - BAD experience). The Lumina is right up there with our old VW Vanagon, but much more stylish and, yes, has power to go up hills and air conditioning! We like this vehicle, have friends who own them and would recommend it as a good mini van option for someone considering purchase. We bought ours as a lease-return with 25K on it and it is now at 80K .. mostly all trouble free.

Great value
By Rfelk on 03/23/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Lumina Minivan 3dr Minivan

My van had 60k when bought in 98'. In the last four years I have put an additional 51k. It still has lots of power and gets 25 miles/gal highway. Just bought 2001 dodge grand caravan. It gets 21 highway and similar power.