Used 1990 Chevrolet Lumina Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Chevrolet Lumina Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lumina Minivan model:

"One of the oldest rides still on the road."
By cadiyama

1990 Chevrolet Lumina Minivan 3dr Cargo Minivan

My wife was driving this 1990 Chevrolet Lumina APV when we met back in 2002. To make a long story short, I am now the principle driver of this soon to be antique while she gets around in a 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe. Ours is one of several still on the road in this area alone, so I bet there are a good many still out there across the country. Sure, I have had to make the expected repairs and all, but this Chevy is still going strong with 164,000 original miles on her. I am going to drive this van until the wheels fall off. I am presently looking for a bumper snicker that says "Don't Laugh, It's Paid For!"

It is a very versatile vehicle. It can go from a three row seven seater to a cargo van in a few minutes if it has to. This van also has high visibility for the driver with the abundant window display.

I wish the vehicle was fitted with a full size spare tire. Whoever came up with the temporary donut spare tire should have that small tire doused with gasoline and placed over his head then set afire. Maybe that is a bit extreme but these tires should only be used on vehicles that run on thirteen inch wheels and below not on a vehicle as large as a Lumina APV even though it runs on fourteen inch wheels. I also wish the headliner was done differently. I keep mine up with my trusty stapling gun.

Crazy ride!
By james gunn

1990 Chevrolet Lumina Minivan CL 3dr Minivan

Bought this van in 2004, now has 198,000 on it. This is the best 500.00 I have ever spent for a vehicle! Replaced brakes and oil changes, that is all. Now the heater core is blown. Doing it soon. One fantastic ride!

lots of window space, can see everything coming.

headliner fell out 3 years ago, typical Chevrolet.

Best Car I Ever Owned
By Gerbear

1990 Chevrolet Lumina Minivan 3dr Minivan

I love my Lumina. It's close to 200K and now getting ready to replace it. Has been the most reliable vehicle that I have ever owned and has been fairly easy to work on, no major problems since 1989 and gets reasonable gas mileage and power/acceleration. I still drive it on long trips. It owes me nothing.

5 individual/removable seats in addition to the driver/passenger seats with some extra storage room to boot.

I have replaced the radiator and water pump around 4 times each over its lifetime, but was able to do it myself without too much trouble. Maybe I bought cheap parts? The slanted front window is hard to get used to at first. Too bad they didn't make dual sliding doors back then.

It Looks Like a Dust Buster
By Joe H.

1990 Chevrolet Lumina Minivan 3dr Minivan

It may look like a Dust Buster but it doesn't suck! Have had ours about 12 years now, 200k on the odometer... just had to replace the brake lines...that is the only money I have put into it other than, oil, tires and occaisional brake pads!

Roomy, nice ride and dependable

Headliner

We loved it!
By Suzann F

1990 Chevrolet Lumina Minivan CL 3dr Minivan

We got this van when my kids were 8 and 10. It was great for hauling everyone to and from activities throughout their childhoods. The front freaked other people out but I loved it and never had a problem getting used to it. Both my kids learned to drive in it. We always felt very safe in it too. Were were in one major accident with it only a year after purchasing it. The van fared quite well for hitting another vehicle at 45 miles an hour. We suffered NO major injuries just a few bruises. It was great for long trip too. You could adjust the seat to whatever kind of travel you were doing. The fact we have kept it for 16 years should give you a good indication how we feel.

Removable seats were the best! Great engine. Low repairs needed and it had excellent pick up in traffic.

Details inside needed work. Little things like ceiling fabric coming loose. Molding coming undone. They skimped on the details. Bad paint job!