2014 Impala LS (2.5 liter 4 cyclinder, 6 speed auto)
By nkeen on
2014 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6A)
I decided to take a look at the Impala when my 2006 BMW 3 series was lost in a parking lot flood and was immediately impressed with this class act from GM. I at first planned on the LT V6 but after driving the 4 cylinder on winding country roads and finding the handling balance a little better I decided that LS might fit my needs. A subsequent look at the payments after money down, and my preference for manual A/C and cloth seats settled me on that choice. So far I am delighted with the car. With a mix of highway, local and country driving I am averaging 27.5 mpg after 700 miles. and it's a very relaxed cruiser. I am quite happy to have chosen the four.
Favorite Features
The Impala is a very comfortable and relaxed long distance car -- this is probably its best feature. The 4 cylinder, more powerful and sophisticated than you'd expect, works well with the 6 speed transmission to keep the engine operating in its sweet spot, as it must with this engine in a large car. This makes it a surprisingly easy 75 to 80 mph cruiser on hilly interstates. A/C and heat are quiet and efficient, and the manual unit easy to control accurately. The stereo is fine, and Sirius-XM is standard with the base LS model. I love the design of the car. I've read several times that it has 'presence' -- that's well stated.
Suggested Improvements
The standard halogen headlights are okay for distance on high beam, but on tight 45 degree corners there is very little light to the sides of the car, making it difficult to place in tight spots at night. Cornering lights where the LTZ has its LCD running lights would help immensely. Coming from a car with HIDs, though, I'd suggest making these a stand-alone option on all models.
By topvalueguy
on 02/04/14 20:53 PM (PST)

((((Cornering lights where the LTZ has its LCD running lights would help immensely.)))) My 2004 Ford product has lights that come on as soon as the turn signal is activated, and that's 10 years old. You could surely buy some side-looking lights and have a stereo store guy mount them in the grille for you. It might even be kind of cool.