2014 Chevrolet Impala Consumer Review: High class car with low class

2014 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Review

2014 Chevrolet Impala

LT Sedan (3.6L V6 FFV 6-speed Automatic w/2LT)

High class car with low class backup cam followup
By alabama4 on

2014 Chevrolet Impala LT 4dr Sedan w/2LT (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I've had my 2LTZ for 10 weeks. It didn't take long for me to notice that the rear view camera has such low resolution that the view has no details - everything is a blur. To me this a safety issue. When I need to see what's behind me, I use the mirrors and turn around and look through the rear window. Its a shame that Chevy chose to install a very low end camera into their new Impala which has been favorably compared to the Lexus LS class. This has been a big disappointment to me because the Impala is a really wonderful vehicle.
Update: In 3 months I will have had this car for 3 years. I have lowered my satisfaction level considerably. The car's performance is very good, with excellent gas mileage for its size and power. Comfort is good, but this car which is supposed to be super quiet has way too much road noise. I've ridden in cars costing MUCH less which block the road noise better. The electronics of the Impala suck. It started with the camera, which Chevy did replace when I complained to GM. But the improvement was minor. I don't understand why the cameras GM uses are so poor. There couldn't be that much difference in cost if they installed high resolution equipment. I would have been willing to pay extra for it. When I received a phone call from Detroit asking how I liked the new camera, I advised them that I if I rated the original camera at 0 and the camera I had in my Acura at 10, then the replacement was no higher than a 4. Very poor. Regarding the My Link system, radio/nav, I've had lots of trouble. The vehicle is equipped for 4 sources of media -- 3 USB and 1 SD. I listen to different kinds of music so I have all ports loaded. The radio confuses easily. I might have it set to play music from the SD, and the monitor shows the SD activated, but the music is coming from one of the USB devices. It rarely remembers where it left off when I turn off the car. When I restart the vehicle, the radio starts playing from the beginning again. Asking it to play randomly -- it will pick out a few songs and play them in a loop over and over again. The car has been in service several times for this. The last time the tech told me he had been on the phone with Detroit for 2.5 hours and their best explanation was that I have been trying to play more than one device at a time. First of all, that's impossible. Only one device can be chosen. Secondly, this doesn't say much for the technical people who have chosen the equipment for these vehicles. As if this isn't enough, one last thing: the whole system shuts down periodically -- screen goes black and no sound. The only way to get it back is the turn off and restart the car, which apparently reboots the system. I have pretty much given up on expecting these problems to be corrected. Right now, the car has been at the dealer's service for 2 weeks. I don't believe they're working on the My Link problems this time. I've had some serious problems with the trunk leaking. We're not talking minor leaks. They've worked on it several times, but the leaks come back. The service department finally called me today to say that they simply cannot find the source of the leak and have turned the car over to a third party to help. Since I bought the Impala, trunk-related problems have kept the car in the service department for around 7 weeks, so far. I don't have it back yet.

• Rear seats

• Bluetooth
  • Navigation
  • Electronics
  • Resale value

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review