2014 Chevrolet Impala Consumer Review: High class car with low class

2014 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Review

LT Sedan (3.6L V6 FFV 6-speed Automatic w/2LT)

High class car with low class backup cam
By alabama4 on

2014 Chevrolet Impala LT 4dr Sedan w/2LT (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I've had my 2LTZ for 10 weeks. It didn't take long for me to notice that the rear view camera has such low resolution that the view has no details - everything is a blur. To me this a safety issue. When I need to see what's behind me, I use the mirrors and turn around and look through the rear window. Its a shame that Chevy chose to install a very low end camera into their new Impala which has been favorably compared to the Lexus LS class. This has been a big disappointment to me because the Impala is a really wonderful vehicle.

I feel good when I'm driving this car, except of course when I'm backing up. It is a big car with lots of room in the cabin and it has a huge trunk. In spite of its size, it handles well, and has plenty of power when you need it. It is very comfortable and quiet. I've driven the foreign luxury brands and Impala is right up there with them. Overall, this is a great car, and hey, I didn't have to spend that additional $30,000+ to buy a Lexus.

Get rid of that crappy backup camera. Hi res cameras are not expensive. In my opinion this camera is pretty much the only thing about the new Impala that Chevy should be ashamed of. And it's not just about having a pretty video to look at. This camera is a key safety feature in this automobile, and it's a failure in that regard. I've noticed some other quirks in the electronics. There is some latency in the audio system, error messages that USB devices are not detected and the nav system occasionally freezes the screen. With a little patience the quirks clear up with no action required.