Used 2012 Chevrolet Impala LT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

Good Cruiser But Disappointed With Chevy's Gearing
By kobiewan

2012 Chevrolet Impala LT 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

The interior is cheap yes. But so are other cars. I can look past that due to the car being reliable. One thing I did notice is the transmission. I like that it cruises at 2k at 80. But for one, it hesitates and gear hunts. I also believe the gears to be too tall. Of course it is a huge improvement over the old impala with the 4 speed. But usually in a v6 you should not have to even cross 2.5 rpms on the tachometer before going to second gear. This car takes off like a four cylinder on an incline, and it is not lively until higher speeds are achieved. It is not bad but not good. Hopefully the newer ones are better

Favorite Features

Comfort Reliability Cruising is its specialty Engine noise is quiet

Suggested Improvements

The transmission is gear hunting excessively, and it really needs shorter gearing with a tall 6th gear. Interior and mirrors need updating. Cheap and visibility is difficult with small side mirrors. Feels like driving a boat. tighter suspension preferred

bad trans
By William Bandy

2012 Chevrolet Impala LT 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

car is very unresponsive when you take off, hesitates to move. I thought it was just the trans but even the electronics such as fan controls are sluggish. took it in, they say its ok . if all impalas are like this & it keeps getting good reviews what does it say about buyer revues. The car would be car of the year if it wasn't for the 6 speed trans & heating controls, who ever passed that should be fired

Favorite Features

comfort although the power seat is already loose

Suggested Improvements

hold car engineers accountable for new designs. why through out a proven design. I can't be the only one who thinks GM dropped the ball on these tremendously bad features. Make GM head's drive their cars for more than 1 year so they can see the reliability after the warrantee expires

Great Car!
By yankees2012

2012 Chevrolet Impala LT 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Just purchased a used 2012 Impala LT with 17k miles. I got it for a great price and I can tell you its one of the best rides you can experience. I always had Cadillac's but this time I dont have as much to spend so I tried the Impala. What a car! I should have been looking in to Chevy sooner. The pick up and the nice soft ride is just like a Caddy. I tell you, there are no import cars out there that can give you a ride like this. I have driven them all. Edmunds review of the Impala having cheap interior, I dont see it. They just cater to foreign automobiles.

Favorite Features

Spacious, Smooth, Powerful, Great looks, Great engine, suspension, Paint color, Wheels, breaks, fuel economy, and lots of car for the money.

Suggested Improvements

the only improvement I can suggest is make a truck version of the Impala.

2nd Impala - Best Car I Have Ever Owned
By carloverinbr

2012 Chevrolet Impala LT 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

This is simply the best car I have ever owned. I bought my first Impala in 2008. It was brand new and a few years later I had a wild hair to get an expensive, premium European car. I kept that car for about a year because it was constantly at the dealer for repair under warrantly. I really missed my Impala so I got another one! The 2012's new engine and transmission is awesome. My car was a rental and got a great deal. If you read the professional reviews, they are almost always negative but I really believe that these cars are underappreciated. If you want a great value on a car that will give you years of trouble-free driving, check out the Impala. I now have 38k on the Impala.

Favorite Features

My favorite features include the moon roof, bluetooth, onstar turn-by-turn navigation, and flip and fold back seat. I also love the remote start and start-up engine sound. I use the moon roof a lot to bring in the light and fresh air whenver its not raining. Turn by Turn by directions from Onstar is fantastic. Better than a screen, honestly. The Bluetooth is simple to setup and connects to my phone flawlessly everytime I start up. I did not have the flip and fold seat on my 2008 Impala. This comes standard with the LT which I have and turns your back seat into an SUV! Seriously. Starting up the big, purposeful engine especially when you have such a great value only sweetens the deal.

Suggested Improvements

The only suggestion is I wished the passenger seat had as many options for adjustments like the drivers seat. No one has ever complained though. By the way, my local dealers just got in the new 2014 Impalas. These really are beautiful cars and I am confident they are going to be very successful for Chevrolet. However, if you are looking for a reliable car and you aren't that concerned about your car image, I recommend that you consider this generation of the Implala. You will save a lot of money.

Great car for Much Less than Competitors
By jimmyjames76

2012 Chevrolet Impala LT 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We bought a 2012 Impala LT as a certified preowned car with 11k miles, so my review perspective is a little different than someone buying new. We looked at a lot of cars: Ford Fusion, Honda Accord, Chevy Malibu, Chrysler 200, etc. We liked this car the best. It rode and handled better, had more power, a larger interior and trunk, remote start, and by far the best pricing. So far it's been an amazing car. It's a great blend of comfort, size, performance, and economy. The cars Edmund's recommends instead of this car are MUCH more expensive for the same miles/year. Like $8-10k more. So yes, you could get a better car, but I don't believe you can for the money. This is an excellent car.

Favorite Features

Great power without sacrificing MPG. Smooth, quiet engine and transmission. Comfortable seats and smooth ride. Excellent braking, handling, and stability. We had to brake/swerve to miss a car that pulled out in front of us day one, and the car slowed quickly and turned sharply all while maintaining excellent control. Controls are all laid out logically, and they are very easy to use. Dual climate control works really well. Radio/CD/MP3/Satellite all work well, and the speakers sound great. Factory remote start is great during MN winters. Sunroof works well too, and provides some fresh air w/o a lot of noise in the summer.

Suggested Improvements

Bluetooth on the Ford Fusion was a better, but not enough to make me pay more for a smaller/less powerful car. The interior doesn't look as fancy as some other cars, but I think it's more comfortable, so I'm kind of torn. I think the exterior styling is very nice/sporty. This car is due for a redesign in 2014, so it's not shocking that some of the design elements look a little dated, but it's still a wonderful car to drive.