2011 Chevrolet Impala 3.5L V6 FFV 4-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Value, Value, Value; You get

2011 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Review

2011 Chevrolet Impala LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

LT Sedan (3.5L V6 FFV 4-speed Automatic)

Value, Value, Value; You get More Than you Pay For
By mattddougherty on

2011 Chevrolet Impala LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

First, this car (the loaded LT/LTZ models) is meant to be competitive with cars ranging in the high 20/low 30 thousand area such as the V6 Accord. I have ridden in or driven dozens and dozens of these cars in said band and up, such as new C-Class and E-Class Mercedes, 3 and 5 Series BMW, and so forth. With that said, after getting two brands new loaded LTs (one for me and one for my wife) each financed at less than $20,000, this car screams value, for the reasons I state below, and I think from the person who stumbles in the dealership but gets all the great incentives, to the person who knows exactly what he is buying (like me, having had dozens of new cars in my life), this car is solid.

Favorite Features

This car has interior features of luxury that rival (but do not beat) a 3/5 series or C Class - although the leather is competitive with C-Class/3, it is phenomenal. The dash is adorned with burl wood, which is common in every "high-end" luxury car that I've driven, but is particularly nice in this car. Standard, the 2011 LT has steering wheel controls with bluetooth-stereo capability (a HUGE benefit once you learn how to use it that is not in even some 2005-2010 BMW/Mercedes models; crisp, excellent Bose sound system. This car has a trunk as big as or bigger than all others in its class, and there is plenty of headroom and other room throughout the car (I am a big guy, in both ways).

Suggested Improvements

Despite the value for the features, one con, for sure, is the 4-speed engine that gets, what I would consider, below mediocre city gas mileage. Also, I have personally driven 3 and 5 series BMWs that get better gas mileage on the highway. I am not an aggressive driver, and I check how many miles I get out of a full tank of gas. I live in a totally flat area, and this averages 280-300 miles, even with many highway miles, which is not great. Finally, probably due to the 4-speed system, there is a delay in responsiveness in acceleration that is noticeable, but once it "gets up," it "goes." There is no shortage of power. And the excellent handling counterbalances this. You can't have it all.