2010 Chevrolet Impala Consumer Review: LT replaces Beast

2010 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Review

LT replaces Beast
By nodrama on

2010 Chevrolet Impala LTZ 4dr Sedan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

Have a 2001 base impala with 180K miles, I call it the Beast, best car I ever had cept for the leaky aluminum rims. Looking to replace I considered the LTZ, but I drive slow and don't need the power, do need gas mileage and can't afford to replace the 18" $200 tires every 2-3 years. So I got a 1 year old (rental) LT with the luxury package (spoiler, sunroof, heated leather, power passenger seat, Bose) with 24K miles, silver, 17" rims (can buy 740AB Michelins or Goodyears) with better MPG on the 3.5L. Very good looking car, very quiet and smooth. I'm short and I like how high up the power seats go. I call this one the Beauty.

I love this car except you'd think Govt Motors could get better MPG, perhaps a 6-speed auto transmission might help. I think XM, Onstar, Bluetooth and garage door/home security items are cool but doubt I'll use them. I think the backseat fold down cup holder/armrest should be standard on ALL Impalas, the Beast has one but I had to get the leather to get one now. The buttonless fold down rear seats are nice. The car is absolutely gorgeous looking and drives very nicely, I think it's a keeper. My teenagers have their eyes on the Beast, they can forget about the Beauty.

The 3.4L Beast gets a bit better MPG than the Beauty, you'd think things would improve over time. I'd have bought a 3.0L V6 if available for the MPG,. I think the Beast is a bit larger as well. I wish the XM antenna was removeable in case I throw some plywood or mattresses on the roof. The leather seats are a bit stiff, I think the Beast's cloth is more comfy. I have no need for all the safety items (airbags, ABS, traction) and could do with a few less sensors (eg - I have a tire pressure gauge) and wish I could use my floorjack to raise 1 front tire. Wish I had steel wheels too (don't leak). Also, tranny pan needs a drain plug, and take the side wings off the shroud hitting my ramps.