Used 2010 Chevrolet Impala Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Reviews

2010 Chevrolet Impala

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

2010 Impala
By car_lover4

2010 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Trans failed at 72k, right after warranty ran out, in spite of having transmission service performed as specified in maintenance schedule. $2000 to fix. Got used at 25k, has always used 1qt oil/1500miles. Trans shop said trans failure is common in Impala. Low roofline makes it hard to get in and out. Cramped interior. Big trunk, but nearly impossible to reach stuff in front half because of small trunk opening. Feels like being in a compact car rather than a full sized. Would not buy again.

Favorite Features

I had a 2003 Impala before this 2010. The 2003 felt like it was much roomier. It had a smaller engine but fantastic fuel economy. This car feels smaller and cramped but has a lot bigger engine. Lots of power, but much worse fuel economy. Ok for driving back and forth to work, kind of cramped for long trips. I do like the straight forward layout of the controls, everything is easy to understand and easy to use. Other than trans failure and using 1 qt oil/1500 miles, no other mechanical problems.

Suggested Improvements

Needs to be roomier. Come on, GM, this is the biggest Chevy you make. It is supposed to be the product flagship. This car feels way to small and cramped to be your top of the line model. Needs better gas mileage. My 2003 Impala felt much bigger and roomier yet averaged far better fuel economy in real world driving. True, this car has a much more powerful engine, but the engine in the 2003 had more than enough power, and cost a lot less to fill up. I'm pretty upset about the trans failure at 72k, right after the warranty ran out. Trans shop said this is a common problem in Impala. No excuse for this.

early transmission problems pleague both our chevys
By billman2

2010 Chevrolet Impala LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

can't say much good noisy on rough roads and multiple trans repairs have deadlined the car while we still make payments on it.

Favorite Features

interior comfort and style

Suggested Improvements

quality control

best vehicle ive ever owned
By andrew97

2010 Chevrolet Impala LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Test drove it 2 plus years ago loved it then and as it sits in my driveway now I still love it. I purchased a '10 Impala LT only 1 yr old with 15,000 miles. It now has well over 43,000 and the only thing it's needed was a battery and the air recirculation valve for emissions. (both replaced under war) It rides great, for an American V6 the mpg is not bad at all I get 25 plus on the highway and right around 19 in town. interior is comfy any problems are my fault. only issue I'm having right now is the pass front window motor is slow. with proper maintenance and driving less like and idiot and more like a responsible driver and these cars should last a very long time.

Favorite Features

Remote start is awesome, car is cool in the summer and warm in the winter. The Bose stereo my car came with is actually really crisp. For an American V6 its got good fuel economy, with proper driving I can get an average of 30 mpg on a 500 mile trip to NY. Leather is ok, but the fact it always needs cleaning is my fault should have gotten black leather instead of tan doesn't help I work around heavy equipment. Ride is the smoothest I've felt in a GM car.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the trans was a 6spd auto, it could shift a little more smoothly, back seats are kind of tight but I drive it so I don't really give a crap, I'm a bigger guy about 6 ft tall and with work boots on it can get cramped in the drivers seat, but if I wanted room I would have bought a truck or a Cadillac. my driver seat has started to tear and the weather striping/seal for drivers side is torn up but once again i'm a bigger dude and its a car getting in and out of it isn't the most graceful thing. cup holders are too close together if they were offset it would be nicer. that's more of an adhd thing than an issue though.

Whistle type air leak
By lura

2010 Chevrolet Impala LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased a 2010 Impala in Oct. 2012 with less then 19,000 miles on it. When I am driving down the road with the window down and air button circulating air from outside there is a whistle from the passenger side. If you turn the fan on it stops. If you have the button circulating the air inside the car there is no whistle with the window down and fan off. I have been told now that all the Impala's do this. Really? I don't believe this is true. Why would you manufacture a car that when you drive it you can't enjoy due to whistle. I am fed up with the run around from the dealership. I had a 2004 Impala and my friend has 2009 Impala and they don't have the whistle

Never again!
By luvtaymae

2010 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I will never buy another Chevy again! Recently had the transmission replaced in our Impala which is ridiculous! The servicemen at the transmission shop were shocked that a transmission only three years old had to be replaced. And to think I bought the car figuring it would be a good value boy was I wrong! Should have heeded the warning from the 2001 Chevy Monte Carlo SS that I owned prior to this car it also needed multiple major repairs. No more American cars for me I'm going foreign from now on...

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Improve quality.