Used 2009 Chevrolet Impala Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

alternator
By amanda52

2009 Chevrolet Impala LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Has anyone ever had there alternator go at 20,000k's. I own a 2009 Impala the alternator went and it is not covered by the warranty.The GM service people told me that these things happen,WOW I wonder what is going to happen next, I am in disbelief I had A Buick for 11 years and never replaced an alternator.I am so unhappy with GM.

Bad Experience
By taryn2013

2009 Chevrolet Impala LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I am a current owner of a 2009 Chevy Impala. I purchased this car 2 1/2 years ago for a high price but I thought I was getting a reliable car that would last me a number of years. A year into owning it the problems began. My car continusely read service traction control, service airbags, and my check engine light was constantly on & off. I took it to 2 different garages and they could not figure out anything. I ended up at the Faulkner Chevy dealer. I ended up paying over $800 to get the air bags replaced, and a harness strap which had a bad connection. I am a young mother of 2 and NOT happy about this. GM does NOTHING to satisfy concerns or complaints

SELL THIS CAR AS SOON AS YOU CAN

Disappointed with Impala AGAIN . . .
By drvmn

2009 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased my 09' Implala new in February 2009. At around 50,000 miles, the head gaskets started leaking (fixed under GM's 100,000 mile warranty - faulty gaskets used by GM). Had to replace a transmission cooler line, I'm now on my third pair of front brake rotors, and even after a front-end allignment at the dealership, the front tires continue to wear out along the outer edge. I thought GM was better than this. Now at 66,000 miles, Check Engine light comes on due to a "gunked up" fuel injection system. Why put the fuel filter inside the tank where it can't be serviced on a regular basis??? This is my second Impala (my 05' had intake manifold gasket issues). I'm done with Impalas.

Car rides smooth and does great in Minnesota winter weather. I have had no problems driving on snowy roads - traction and stability is good. Very easy to do oil changes and I've faithfully changed my oil every 3,000 to 3,500 miles. Oil filter is in a great location and easy to access. I average 29 ~ 30 miles per gallon and my drive to work is about 40 miles, most of which is interstate driving.

Head gaskets at 50,000 miles??? If GM would have invested even $100 more on higher quality gaskets, it would have saved them around $2,000 in warranty repairs. Higher performance gaskets are available . . . use them - the money saved on gaskets did not outweigh the cost of a top-end tear down!!! Dealership told me head gasket issue was common for the 2009 model. Front brake rotors - third set??? I drive almost all highway miles with limited braking. And why is the front end allignment designed so that the tires ride on the outer edges causing premature tire wear??? GM - I thought you were better than this!!!

Short lived value
By 29karma13

2009 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is one of those "seems to good to be true" kind of deals. When you purchase the deal just seems to be really good for what you get. But as soon as that warranty runs out... that is when you start paying for the car. At 36,000 miles it only has a 7.000 trade in value even if in mint condition. At 37,000 miles it is broke down in the middle of nowhere and even the onstar is unable to work to call for help. ( yes just 1000 miles after the warranty is out). I have put several sets of tires on this and had it aligned countless times because there is a problem that GM will not recognize with the suspension system. The people at goodyear told me that the impala is their best customers!

The ability to seat three in the front if need be, fuel efficiency for the size of the vehicle... I have to say I got great gas mileage both in and out of the city. Trunk space... loved it, as my daughter is a cheer leader and we must travel a lot for her games, especially when they take us out of state...loved that large trunk!

All the blind spots ... passenger seat created blind spot... visors as well and they were not movable... who creates cars with non movable visors? Big no no Gm.... very big no no in my book! Seating very uncomfortable, especially if traveling and had to sit in for any length of time. realiability and last but not least... trade in value... really... 7 grand at 36,000 miles? Wait one more thing.... If you can't make them more reliable then make the warranty longer because I am about through with buying chevy's. This is the second time I have bought a brand new Chevy and it has failed on me either before the warranty ran out or directly after. I live on disability... I can't afford this

No issuse until now
By nickstjl

2009 Chevrolet Impala LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I was given my 09 impala as a graduation gift from my grandmother just a few months ago and it was a perfectly fine car until last week, i'm not sure if other people have these problems but I do and i makes me wanna sell the car at this point. First sometimes the key won't turn i have to physically move the steering wheel and push up in the shifter thing behind the steering wheel and then it will start, and the other problem i experience is that if I am waiting at a light or a stop sign for more then 10 seconds and i go to press the gas the break pedal sticks and the car revs up and burns gas. And when it dooes this the check engine light comes on for a split second, anyone else like this?

Style and space inside of the car

Nothing so far i like the features of the car.

• SUV