2009 Chevrolet Impala Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impala model:
Disappointed with Impala AGAIN . . .
By drvmn on 01/27/13 05:33 AM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased my 09' Implala new in February 2009. At around 50,000 miles, the head gaskets started leaking (fixed under GM's 100,000 mile warranty - faulty gaskets used by GM). Had to replace a transmission cooler line, I'm now on my third pair of front brake rotors, and even after a front-end allignment at the dealership, the front tires continue to wear out along the outer edge. I thought GM was better than this. Now at 66,000 miles, Check Engine light comes on due to a "gunked up" fuel injection system. Why put the fuel filter inside the tank where it can't be serviced on a regular basis??? This is my second Impala (my 05' had intake manifold gasket issues). I'm done with Impalas.

Short lived value
By 29karma13 on 09/05/12 09:59 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is one of those "seems to good to be true" kind of deals. When you purchase the deal just seems to be really good for what you get. But as soon as that warranty runs out... that is when you start paying for the car. At 36,000 miles it only has a 7.000 trade in value even if in mint condition. At 37,000 miles it is broke down in the middle of nowhere and even the onstar is unable to work to call for help. ( yes just 1000 miles after the warranty is out). I have put several sets of tires on this and had it aligned countless times because there is a problem that GM will not recognize with the suspension system. The people at goodyear told me that the impala is their best customers!

Don't learn the hard way
By mcollins19 on 05/01/12 20:15 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I would like to think of myself as an educated consumer, and after reading a lot about the Impala, I decided that it was a good mid-price sedan that would suite my needs. The interior is cheaply made, but functional, and the driving experience is less than impressive, but the car feels safe. The problem is with the reliablilty and support from GM. Since I have limited space to write this, I'll sum it up. The car is currently at 25k miles and has had a new torque converter, turbine shaft and valve body in the transmission, a new water pump, and the A/C is beginning to put out warm air. GM support (located overseas) has offered no warranty incentives and has been very dismissive. Buyer Beware

What Idiot Re-Designed this [violative content deleted]
By takeabreak on 07/04/11 10:25 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

My dad has a 2005 Impala, with a V-6. It gets better gas mileage than the 2009, has more head room, has more shoulder room, more room through out the vehicle, I can clean the windshield in his, but this piece of junk. The rook line is lower, I bump my head while driving, entering or exiting the vehicle on the door seal area. I am only 6ft tall. With the stupid roof line being lower, objects, people and vehicles disappear behind the center review mirror when corenering.

Fantastic
By Steve on 07/19/10 11:01 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This car averages 1000 miles per week at 70 mph most of the time @ 31 MPG. Since I bought it there have been no running gear or A/C problems. In fact greasing the doors and oil changes every 3k is all it has seen. It runs today as well as the day I drove it off the lot.

GM is Back in Business
By George on 11/27/09 19:27 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I picked up a 2009 Impala as a long term rental while awaiting delivery of my new 2010 Toyota. After the first 2 months of driving this car, I have to admit that I will miss it and even have wished I had considered this before ordering the Toyota. I have owned several GM's over the years 60's - 90's. My last a 1995 Grand Prix convince me never to own another. However, this Impala has changed my mind. This is a lower end rental unit and I would have ordered a higher optioned model. My only minor complaint is the outside mirrors, they are small and triangular and NOT heated. This is the first car I have owned in years not to have heated mirrors. This should be standard.

Happy with my 2009
By James_C on 10/07/09 17:18 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Car rides better than my 2007 Impala. The stereo is better as well. Only complaint is (as someone else pointed out) the angle of the headrest is not as comfy as it could be. I drive very carefully and have been averaging 29-30 mpg city. Would recommend the car to anyone looking for a midsize sedan.

Nice rental car
By NYCarDriver on 07/27/09 08:11 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I rented this car when it was almost brand new, only had 300 miles on it. I drove it for about 500 miles. I wasn't very impressed by it. The gas pedal was extremely hard to push. The side mirrors are triangular in shape with less surface area than the oval ones I am used to. The interior is made of cheap plastic and the wood trim just emphasizes the car's cheapness. But overall, the car drove pretty well. I got about 30 mpg on highway driving. The steering was very responsive and the brakes stopped on the dime. Not a bad car, but it needs to improve in the areas I mentioned above.

boat driving
By Boat Driver on 07/13/09 18:35 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I got this care with 100 miles on it, new car...but it handles like a boat, you have to push the peddle in pretty dang hard to move the thing (i know its new but wow). also the things handles like a boat, i got caught by a cross wind and i did not move the steering wheel and the car starts swaying on the road like i moved the wheel, very uneasy. plus side is the interior is nice and there is plenty of room...other than that Chevy took a once awesome and fearsome car and turned it into the love boat.

Dont buy this car(Pro Mechanic)
By tommygee on 06/13/09 05:22 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This car is my worst nightmare. My friends said I downgraded from my 2000 buich century. In city, im loosing 8 mpg-on hwy-12-16 mpg. The steering is for a weightlifter--very difficult, hard. The high seats on passenger side& inside trim at rear, make blind spots, you cant see the cars coming on the right side. You ask--what about mirror? guess what, its so small, you can miss seeing traffic. Seats are very cheaply made, w/hardly any padding for comfort. And guess what---no glove box lock, or light to see, figure that. I was appealed by this car, by its looks, not as a car & don't want anyone to do this stupid action. If you take it home for 2 days---I promise you professionally--you will give it back.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Chevrolet Impala Sedan in VA is:

$124 per month*