Used 2009 Chevrolet Impala LS Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Impala Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

First time owner of Impala
By 2011franf

2009 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

a friend who has a impala just like mind was having some issues with her car. on this edmunds.com site when i was reading some reviews about other people who had similiar issues with there impala.I was surprised to read the reviews..I purchased my impala in 2011 and one month later when driving home from work the check engine light, service traction control light, ABS light, service airbags light, and tire gage light all came on at the same time..needless to say i did not know what was going on. before I could get it into the shop the next day i was exiting the ramp to enter the freeway when suddenly the car accelerated on its own and slammed me into a brick wall.

my favorite feature of the impala is the way the car was designed and style on the outside..that is what caught my eye.

honestly i don't know what i would suggest for improvements for the impala..this was my first time owening one, so i never experience that before or with any other vehicle i have ever owened. I just will never forget this experience with this one..scary.

Disappointed with Impala AGAIN . . .
By drvmn

2009 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased my 09' Implala new in February 2009. At around 50,000 miles, the head gaskets started leaking (fixed under GM's 100,000 mile warranty - faulty gaskets used by GM). Had to replace a transmission cooler line, I'm now on my third pair of front brake rotors, and even after a front-end allignment at the dealership, the front tires continue to wear out along the outer edge. I thought GM was better than this. Now at 66,000 miles, Check Engine light comes on due to a "gunked up" fuel injection system. Why put the fuel filter inside the tank where it can't be serviced on a regular basis??? This is my second Impala (my 05' had intake manifold gasket issues). I'm done with Impalas.

Car rides smooth and does great in Minnesota winter weather. I have had no problems driving on snowy roads - traction and stability is good. Very easy to do oil changes and I've faithfully changed my oil every 3,000 to 3,500 miles. Oil filter is in a great location and easy to access. I average 29 ~ 30 miles per gallon and my drive to work is about 40 miles, most of which is interstate driving.

Head gaskets at 50,000 miles??? If GM would have invested even $100 more on higher quality gaskets, it would have saved them around $2,000 in warranty repairs. Higher performance gaskets are available . . . use them - the money saved on gaskets did not outweigh the cost of a top-end tear down!!! Dealership told me head gasket issue was common for the 2009 model. Front brake rotors - third set??? I drive almost all highway miles with limited braking. And why is the front end allignment designed so that the tires ride on the outer edges causing premature tire wear??? GM - I thought you were better than this!!!

Short lived value
By 29karma13

2009 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is one of those "seems to good to be true" kind of deals. When you purchase the deal just seems to be really good for what you get. But as soon as that warranty runs out... that is when you start paying for the car. At 36,000 miles it only has a 7.000 trade in value even if in mint condition. At 37,000 miles it is broke down in the middle of nowhere and even the onstar is unable to work to call for help. ( yes just 1000 miles after the warranty is out). I have put several sets of tires on this and had it aligned countless times because there is a problem that GM will not recognize with the suspension system. The people at goodyear told me that the impala is their best customers!

The ability to seat three in the front if need be, fuel efficiency for the size of the vehicle... I have to say I got great gas mileage both in and out of the city. Trunk space... loved it, as my daughter is a cheer leader and we must travel a lot for her games, especially when they take us out of state...loved that large trunk!

All the blind spots ... passenger seat created blind spot... visors as well and they were not movable... who creates cars with non movable visors? Big no no Gm.... very big no no in my book! Seating very uncomfortable, especially if traveling and had to sit in for any length of time. realiability and last but not least... trade in value... really... 7 grand at 36,000 miles? Wait one more thing.... If you can't make them more reliable then make the warranty longer because I am about through with buying chevy's. This is the second time I have bought a brand new Chevy and it has failed on me either before the warranty ran out or directly after. I live on disability... I can't afford this

Don't learn the hard way
By mcollins19

2009 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I would like to think of myself as an educated consumer, and after reading a lot about the Impala, I decided that it was a good mid-price sedan that would suite my needs. The interior is cheaply made, but functional, and the driving experience is less than impressive, but the car feels safe. The problem is with the reliablilty and support from GM. Since I have limited space to write this, I'll sum it up. The car is currently at 25k miles and has had a new torque converter, turbine shaft and valve body in the transmission, a new water pump, and the A/C is beginning to put out warm air. GM support (located overseas) has offered no warranty incentives and has been very dismissive. Buyer Beware

The car has plenty of interior space and get good gas mileage for a sedan.

GM should learn a lesson from their foreign competition and focus more on building a reliable vehicle. In addition, a company that boasts that they support America should move their support to the U.S. to reinforce this.

What Idiot Re-Designed this [violative content deleted]
By takeabreak

2009 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

My dad has a 2005 Impala, with a V-6. It gets better gas mileage than the 2009, has more head room, has more shoulder room, more room through out the vehicle, I can clean the windshield in his, but this piece of junk. The rook line is lower, I bump my head while driving, entering or exiting the vehicle on the door seal area. I am only 6ft tall. With the stupid roof line being lower, objects, people and vehicles disappear behind the center review mirror when corenering.

Hey dummies I love the lack of insulation and the free road noise I get, way to go Garbage Motors Oh yeah thinks for the small cheap foam in the seat too, much appreciated.

Take the crayons away from the 3M's = Mindless Marketing Morons