Used 2008 Chevrolet Impala Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

Worst Car, Absolute Junk
By rmk711

2008 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is absolutely the worst car I have ever owned, or known anybody to have ever owned, worst mistake of my car buying life letting myself be sold into buying this car. Everything on the car breaks! This car company is paid for in part by my tax dollars and at this point I feel like I have not only been ripped off by GM, but also by the American government. GM needs to take responsibility for its poor product designs whether part of the NEW GM or the OLD GM, recall these cars and give me a refund of absurd amount of money I have had to pay for a poor excuse of a way to get to work and pay my tax dollars to support this country.

Favorite Features

At least it looks good, at least it moves, I guess!

Suggested Improvements

I have been stuck in a supermarket parking lot unable to move because the shifter was locked up. I have been listening and feeling the car shake like an earthquake going downhill due to constantly warped brakes even after changing out all 4 rotors and pads, I have had my accelerator changed out by the dealership, a defective leaking Fuel Valve replaced, random battery corrosion, one door lock no longer works, premature tire wear, two wheel hubs replaced and the ride on the car is still extremely noisy, I feel/hear every bump in the road, the shifter torque locks every time I park on a hill. Had the car serviced at 3 different Chevy/GM dealerships, same poor attitude each time.

** Very Reliable ***
By chat55904

2008 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used with higher miles 160,000 miles to be exact and i bought it in another state and had it shipped to me i figured i better order a Engine & Transmission just in case so i did and when i got the car it was nice needed nothing! I now have 204,000 miles on this car with the original Engine & Transmission I love to drive and this car is One i can not down talk it does have its flaws but then again what car don't! Gas milage is not the best but for the comfort and drive ability it is worth it plus its flex fuel which is 60 cent less a gallon!

Favorite Features

Xm Radio is a great deal for me i spend $26.00 for 6 months to have it i use it everyday love it! Remote start is a plus & I have to say I live in the cold weather and my car warms up very fast and i have hot heat! I love that!

Suggested Improvements

It does wear through tires faster then normal in the rear & gm is in a law suit over that right now but to be honest if you rotate them as needed its not that bad at least not for me! My rear defrost does not work but that's all mint other wize!

I was involved in a accident that was not my fault, 25 days after I purchased my vehicle
By mlwoolum

2008 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased a 2008 chevy impala, I bought the vehicle on December 20, 2011 and on Jan 14 2012 a guy ran a stop sign and I couldn't stop and I t-boned his truck. My son was in the car. We walked away from the accident, the only thing that happened to me was that the dash hit my knee and it is a little banged up. We were traveling at 55 mph when the other vehicle pulled out in front of us. The other guy didn't walk away he was in critical condition, he was taken to the hospital. For the impact that my car took, and we didn't get hurt. I HIGHLY recommend a impala to anyone. Look at the review's, i have since then purchased another impala, this is probably the only car I will ever purchase.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature was that it has a excellent crash rating, it saved me and my son from being hurt in a accident that someone else caused. For the speed we were going, we probably should have been hurt. But we walked away and he didn't. I would tell anyone I know to buy a impala. Excellent car!!!!

junk from day one
By tankzulla

2008 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

bought certified pre owned 2008 with 34k miles. 3 months in the ball join and control arm break replaced for free. november hits and snow falls car is uncontrollable in any snow or wet conditions even at 10 mph. 2 times car has flown across highway turning sideways almost crashed both times. i take it and the tires are worn to the medal on the inside of the tread out of pocket 250 for new ones with no explanation of why only the inside was worn down took it back out in the snow and lost it again. dealership has no solution and gm says its not awd that's why. when i could take my 95 turbo supra out and do better. such a pathetic company makes me sick any one else having this problem?

Favorite Features

heated leather seats, remote start

Suggested Improvements

use better parts and construct a more reliable safe car, its no wonder every one is buying imports

Bad rear door locks
By mes1944

2008 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

Rear door locks quit working at 32000 miles. I believe this to be a safety issue in that the rear seat passengers especially infants and young children may become trapped during an emergency. The driver will not be able to activate the rear door locks.

Suggested Improvements

Replace or make available new locks