Used 2008 Chevrolet Impala Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Reviews

2008 Chevrolet Impala Sedan

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

mixed feelings
By ifyousayso

2008 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the car certified used with 28,000 miles 2 mos after warped rotors. dealership w/ plenty of "warranty" says rotors aren't covered (bumper to bumper??). After market rotors hadn't come out yet so I had them turned. 1500 miles later warped again. I also noticed uneven tire wear. Took it in to have alignment checked dealer told me it was to GM spec. Took it to a local tire shop which informed me GM spec (at that time) was very broad. ie. Properly aligned didn't mean it was optimized for tire life. I had them align and put on a set of tires. 65000 miles later no uneven wear. clear coat started peeling from spoiler 2000 miles after warranty on paint was up. see Fav Features.

Favorite Features

Gets me where I need to go when it starts 2 yrs ago had 1 incident where I turned key & it didn't crank. waited a few mins then it started. 8-9 mos later it happened again. Since it started after a few mins and didn't happen again I thought maybe a fluke. Until recently. I get the same symptoms only might start in 10 mins might be 3 hrs. Dealer says starter is bad. During 1 incident the dic said "SVC Theft detterent sys" Dealer: Its the starter. Me going bad for 2 yrs? getting it replaced. But have a feeling they aren't telling me the truth. Will see if it happens again

Suggested Improvements

Tighten up Alignment Specs if they haven't yet so consumer gets more life from tire. Allow owner to override theft detterent system in event of malfunction, as this strands the owner when parts of this system go bad, & it usually happens after warranty is out.

Getting my moneys worth.
By brad1992

2008 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2008 impala LT 3.5 VVT in the cold Michigan winter of 2011 with 47000 Miles. The day after I bought it we had a 12 inch snow fall , thus making it near impossible to drive. However, at the time I was a Corrections Officer so it was imperitive that I make it to work. So I bundled up and braved the cold and, icy roads. This car was excellent on my commute. It never gave me any issues other than the traction control limiting the ammount of power I could supply to the wheels. I am proud to say I now have 80000 miles on this automobile and other than replacing the gas cap, battery and, two tires I have not had to do anything to it. I would def. purchase this car all over again.

Favorite Features

The MPG's 33 on the highway lack luster preformance in the city though. Spacious cabin with limited road noise. Peppy engine and, hauls a trailer very nicely.

Suggested Improvements

Tire tread wear and, Brake componets wear out fast. and the rear door acuators wear out easily.

So far, so good
By lashacotton

2008 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I just purchased my Impala SS with just 33K miles on it. I have driven the car for three days and the gas mileage has been great. This car offers a smooth quiet ride. The only thing that I am kind of disappointed in is the side view mirrors, they are not extended from the car enough and makes it kinda difficult to see what is besides you in either direction. Also because of how the body it shaped, it can also be a little difficult to see what is behind you.

Suggested Improvements

Side mirrors

Chevy don't FAIL me now!!
By iluvchevys

2008 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned my 2008 for a little over 2 years and at first I loved it but now I'm starting to have problems. Feels like my transmission is slipping, if I'm at a dead stop when I press on the gas it is kinda hesitant (seems to only do this in the hot weather) When I run my ac it has less power, my back locks don't work. A year ago I had the reduce engine power show up but I let me car sit for the weekend and haven't had the message again (knock on wood) I still have 3 years left on my lease and I'm starting to get worried. My first car I bought was a complete lemon thought I was doing the smart thing going to a "major dealership" but the warranty that you buy seems to not cover anything.

Suggested Improvements

I love my Impala but if this keeps up I will straight go to FORD!!!

Solid, Safe & Reliable
By c_ram

2008 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

After 3 years, I have followed the recommended maintenance schedule and had a great experience. We bought it for the safety (side airbag curtains standard & crash test results) & reliability and have not been disappointed. In response to the previos post, GM was bailed out by the government in March 2009 well after the 2008 Impala was designed, built and most likely sold. It is not responsible for your experience. Nor are the dealers, which are independently owned and operated.

Favorite Features

Safety, drive comfort & reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Road noise & cabin design.