Used 2008 Chevrolet Impala LT Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Reviews

2008 Chevrolet Impala Sedan

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

Regret buying this car!!!
By alsaims123

2008 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my impala used from carmax. Bought it with 29k on it in 2011 since buying it i have had to replace transmission with 42k then front and rear head gaskets before the 50k manufacturer warranty was up. Since then used the carmax warranty to get the rear window defrost wiring replaced. The warranty's are all up, scared to see what is next. Granted i feel lucky compared to some of the issues people have had to done to their impala. Still have issues with the cd player, driver seat doesn't go up and down like it should. Won't buy another chevy car again.

Favorite Features

XM satellite radio.

mixed feelings
By ifyousayso

2008 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the car certified used with 28,000 miles 2 mos after warped rotors. dealership w/ plenty of "warranty" says rotors aren't covered (bumper to bumper??). After market rotors hadn't come out yet so I had them turned. 1500 miles later warped again. I also noticed uneven tire wear. Took it in to have alignment checked dealer told me it was to GM spec. Took it to a local tire shop which informed me GM spec (at that time) was very broad. ie. Properly aligned didn't mean it was optimized for tire life. I had them align and put on a set of tires. 65000 miles later no uneven wear. clear coat started peeling from spoiler 2000 miles after warranty on paint was up. see Fav Features.

Favorite Features

Gets me where I need to go when it starts 2 yrs ago had 1 incident where I turned key & it didn't crank. waited a few mins then it started. 8-9 mos later it happened again. Since it started after a few mins and didn't happen again I thought maybe a fluke. Until recently. I get the same symptoms only might start in 10 mins might be 3 hrs. Dealer says starter is bad. During 1 incident the dic said "SVC Theft detterent sys" Dealer: Its the starter. Me going bad for 2 yrs? getting it replaced. But have a feeling they aren't telling me the truth. Will see if it happens again

Suggested Improvements

Tighten up Alignment Specs if they haven't yet so consumer gets more life from tire. Allow owner to override theft detterent system in event of malfunction, as this strands the owner when parts of this system go bad, & it usually happens after warranty is out.

Getting my moneys worth.
By brad1992

2008 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2008 impala LT 3.5 VVT in the cold Michigan winter of 2011 with 47000 Miles. The day after I bought it we had a 12 inch snow fall , thus making it near impossible to drive. However, at the time I was a Corrections Officer so it was imperitive that I make it to work. So I bundled up and braved the cold and, icy roads. This car was excellent on my commute. It never gave me any issues other than the traction control limiting the ammount of power I could supply to the wheels. I am proud to say I now have 80000 miles on this automobile and other than replacing the gas cap, battery and, two tires I have not had to do anything to it. I would def. purchase this car all over again.

Favorite Features

The MPG's 33 on the highway lack luster preformance in the city though. Spacious cabin with limited road noise. Peppy engine and, hauls a trailer very nicely.

Suggested Improvements

Tire tread wear and, Brake componets wear out fast. and the rear door acuators wear out easily.

Chevy don't FAIL me now!!
By iluvchevys

2008 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned my 2008 for a little over 2 years and at first I loved it but now I'm starting to have problems. Feels like my transmission is slipping, if I'm at a dead stop when I press on the gas it is kinda hesitant (seems to only do this in the hot weather) When I run my ac it has less power, my back locks don't work. A year ago I had the reduce engine power show up but I let me car sit for the weekend and haven't had the message again (knock on wood) I still have 3 years left on my lease and I'm starting to get worried. My first car I bought was a complete lemon thought I was doing the smart thing going to a "major dealership" but the warranty that you buy seems to not cover anything.

Suggested Improvements

I love my Impala but if this keeps up I will straight go to FORD!!!

Worst Car, Absolute Junk
By rmk711

2008 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is absolutely the worst car I have ever owned, or known anybody to have ever owned, worst mistake of my car buying life letting myself be sold into buying this car. Everything on the car breaks! This car company is paid for in part by my tax dollars and at this point I feel like I have not only been ripped off by GM, but also by the American government. GM needs to take responsibility for its poor product designs whether part of the NEW GM or the OLD GM, recall these cars and give me a refund of absurd amount of money I have had to pay for a poor excuse of a way to get to work and pay my tax dollars to support this country.

Favorite Features

At least it looks good, at least it moves, I guess!

Suggested Improvements

I have been stuck in a supermarket parking lot unable to move because the shifter was locked up. I have been listening and feeling the car shake like an earthquake going downhill due to constantly warped brakes even after changing out all 4 rotors and pads, I have had my accelerator changed out by the dealership, a defective leaking Fuel Valve replaced, random battery corrosion, one door lock no longer works, premature tire wear, two wheel hubs replaced and the ride on the car is still extremely noisy, I feel/hear every bump in the road, the shifter torque locks every time I park on a hill. Had the car serviced at 3 different Chevy/GM dealerships, same poor attitude each time.