2008 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impala model:
Love this car
By A Cossick on 06/05/10 22:22 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Impala SS 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned this car for 2 yrs, put 24k on it so far. Love this car, the power, torque steer. Averaging 21.7 mpg on 15 mile ea way commute to work and all my other driving, including some passes on the 1/4 mile. I think this is excellent for a 300 HP full size car. It corners and stops pretty good, though it has quite a bit of understeer when you push it to the limit - overall not bad for a full size car. Also needs to side support in the seats like the Grand Prix GXP has - these seats are too bench like. The drive by wire has some limitations as it will cut the throttle at times when I don't want it to - sharp movements that it thinks the car is out of control. I plan to own 10 yrs+

NASCAR IMPALA
By Nascar Impala on 03/16/10 10:08 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Impala SS 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

While the few car magazine reviews of this car give it less than stellar reviews, this car is a great cruiser and can be driven as fast as a car needs to be driven! Passing is a blast. While some reviews call the suspension tuning "boat" like, I'd strongly disagree. I believe it handles very flat and also takes road bumps well. Very good mix. I have yet to cause the front end to push taking corners way to fast. The seats do limit your cornering as they have no side bolsters. Since most seat time is cruising, this is an acceptable trade off. Gas mileage is good also....except if you are using it for the V-8...which is why I bought it!

Fast speed, faster break downs
By Mixed Emotions on 02/02/10 18:42 PM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet Impala SS 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought used with 34000 miles, lots of wheel spin, 21mpg mixed 27 highway. can keep up with newer mustang gt's and eat up 5.7 hemi chargers, BUT 4 fuel injectors replaced, bad onstar unit and a paranoia when driving more than 100 miles at a time. every time I've been on a road trip a fuel injector goes bad. i should have learned my lesson after my 05 cts's water pump and transmission went out at 4 yrs and 33000 miles on the clock. no wonder GM went bankrupt so so so much fun to drive...until it breaks down. dealership would blame a flat tire with a nail in it on "unknown causes with no sure fix"

American Pride
By Gary on 12/31/09 12:49 PM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet Impala SS 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this 08 SS from a dealer, it was a demo model with 588 miles on it. Got a great deal on it. The car is excellent, fully loaded, extreme amounts of power, smooth, and handles good for a large car. I can easily get 29-30mpg on a smooth flat highway going 70. The car is built well and very solid and surefooted. Great car at a great price.

Reliably Rapid
By Dave on 12/09/09 23:03 PM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet Impala SS 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My car was a rental for its first 20k miles. After 1 year and 17k more miles, all I've done is keep the oil changed. The cylinder deactivation gives highway economy of 27mpg with the cruise set on 70. It drops to about 17 in town. A friend with a Bentley Arnage commented on how nice the interior is! All that and outstanding acceleration to boot. The look of despair and surprise on a Honda "tuner" face in the rearview when the light turns green is priceless :) This car is a keeper.

60,000 Miles later!!!
By Anthony on 11/09/09 20:54 PM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet Impala SS 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have never had so much fun with a car. The SS is a blast to drive and its sad the 09 year was the last one. I just turned 60k miles already and had the rotors cut once, and a bad fuel evaporator canister needed to be changed. I still have the original tires on the car!I only wish the import buyers would have driven an SS before purchasing a car. The Imp has a ton of room and a huge trunk too! I have avged @ 20 mpgs between city and highway driving. Buy a used one today and it is the steal of the century since resale isn't to strong. If Chevy would have really promoted the car it would have survived. Find one and have some fun!!!

The Way to Go
By Bob Riehm on 09/07/09 13:53 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Impala SS 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Just turned in my 2007 Impala SS. It was a fantastic car. Took on a few cross country long trips and clocked 27mpg on the hwy. The car always performed perfectly and had real power when I needed it. My new 2008 from the dealer (demo with 6,000 mi.) is similar to the old one. Not much change, and the 2010 are virtually the same so..... I went for the deal. I will continue to buy this venue of car (American all the way) before spending thousands more on a foreign hottie which really can't compare to the American Impala SS. The price is right and the feel is right, both in the car itself and the American pride.... "step on it !!!!"

Good MPG for V8
By steve on 07/07/09 13:47 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Impala SS 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this car for work. The Trunk is great, I have to carry a lot of equipment and it is nice. I have the SS which has the V8. On the highway it get 25-26 avg MPG. It switches from 4 cylinder to 8 cylinder smoothly, which a was concerned about before I bought the car. The Ltz owner I read the review must not drive but to his mailbox and back to get 17 avg. My 2004 GMC has better avg MPG than that (in the summer).

Good looking car
By puffrooster on 05/17/09 14:44 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Impala SS 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Originally I set out to buy an loaded LTZ with a bench seat, BOSE sound system and sunroof in mocha brown. But after taking the SS model for a spin, just to see what it could do, I was sold. Before purchasing this car I did test drive other sport sedans, all of them costing much more $$, and nothing was funner to drive than the Impala SS! The Jewel (dark cherry) monochromatic, red compliments the car and is worth the extra cost. I added low profile tires & wheels and tinted the windows all around. It's a good looking car and inexpensive to decorate.

Cry HAVOC.......
By Nitehawk on 04/07/09 10:31 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet Impala SS 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

.....and let loose the dogs of war. Purchased used, certified, 17k, still under warranty. Beautiful jewel tintcoat. Traded in my 06 Cobalt SS. Needed something a little roomier. I've never owned a 4 dr sedan, so was hesitant. Didn't want a dowdy land barge. Impala SS fits the bill. Dangerously fast and powerful. I'm lovin' it. Drive 200 miles round trip to work each week, and it's 50% city, 50% highway - 21.1 mpg.....not bad. But it's the Raw Power, it'll make you smile, and then some. Go test drive one, it's a life altering experience....go buy, now. You'll never look back.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.