Transmission issues on 2007 Impala SS
By ronnies on
2007 Chevrolet Impala SS 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)
I have never owned anything outside of Chevrolet for over 30 years. Although I am 56, I still enjoy the performance aspects of a vehicle, but love the room of a sedan. I thought the 2007 Impala SS would be perfect. Although I loved the car when operating correctly, it left me dissapointed more than it should. The first issue was getting locked in park (this happened twice) because of a wire breaking in the console. Secondly, the steering shaft had to be replaced because of a "clunk" when stopping and starting. The straw that broke the camels back for me with this car, was an issue I had with the trasmission. You could take off, and it felt like a manual with the clutch slipping.
Favorite Features
It would then abruptly go into gear, feeling like it was hit from behind. I had this fixed once, and a month or so afterwards it started it again, only not happening all the time,but sporadically. The dealer said they couldnt fix it unless they saw it doing it at the dealership. I contacted Chevrolet, and they wouldnt do anything about it. I was fortunate, that with the 5 year/100,000 mile warranty, I never had to pay for these repairs. Unfortunately, the warranty was quickly running out with 4 1/2 years elapsing, but only 48,000 on car. I cut my losses and got rid of it. Its a shame, because it was a car that I could love if it had been dependable
By zorro341
on 10/15/13 14:51 PM (PDT)

We are in the exact same position now with our 2007 Impala SS. The transmission has to be completely replaced and it is no longer under warranty. It's a shame because right after we bought it, Chevy started their 100,000 mile warranty and we only have 69,000 miles on it. It IS a poorly built vehicle in that I have heard of several of the SS transmissions needing to be replaced. And you're right, it is sad because it was an enjoyable car for us and we can't afford to increase out payment on a different car. I will NOT buy Chevy again.