Used 2007 Chevrolet Impala SS Consumer Reviews - 42 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

Lots of issues!
By Keith

2007 Chevrolet Impala SS 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Transmission sucks! Oil consumption! Horrible handling in rain and snow! Lots of vibration and road noise! Clunking in front end! Eats brakes! Very disappointed with this vehicle!

My midlife crisis car that became my nightmare
By Richard Prell

2007 Chevrolet Impala SS 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

After returning from a deployment to Afganistan I decided I wanted something with a little get up and go. I had always had Buicks which I have nothing bad to say about any of them. I have always serviced my cars regularly and my Impala SS was no exception. I was trouble free for the first year of ownership and then it all unraveled. First the transmission let loose. While doing the transmission I asked them to replace the leaking oil pan gasket and rear main seal. When they took off the gasket they found pieces that are part of the timing chain area in the pan. The car did not jump time but the motor had to be removed and a new chain installed because the other one was loose. 5000 dollars later I have my car back. It is not that I dislike Chevy it is the fact that i was told by numerous mechanics that the pieces around the timing chain were a mistake from the factory. Americans work very hard for there money and I find it inexcuseable that someone in the factory assembled this wrong and it got by how many quaility control people?

Me likey the Impala SS
By impalasswally

2007 Chevrolet Impala SS 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I like my Impala SS! Not incredibly sexy from certain angles, and the interior style is hideous, but for the $$, an incredible buy. V-8 power, better gas milage than my wifes V-6 Traverse (thanks to 4-cyl shut-off ... which you never notice). 0 to 60 sub 5.7 sec ... the new $40K Impala with the same HP is going to be Plus 7 sec. It stickered for $31K loaded, got it for 25K between 3K off from dealer, and 3K from GM card earnings. I am out of warranty almost a year now - almost 6 years old. I will admit, mostly local driving (I live close to work) and only 31K miles, but bullet proof. Starts every day, just changed oil. Both front hubs have been changed recently - only repair in 6 years.

Power, Power and Power! I am not a fast driver, but when you want to pass that annoying SOB who cuts you off, outside of truly fast sports cars, untouchable. Bose strero is also very good. Leather seats are good to ... not Lexus like, but fit the purpose. Chrome 18" rims are much needed style to an otherwise dull exterior. Fold down rear seats are a great cargo feature.

Wood trim is hideous, although I opted for it over the fake metal trim, so much so that I opted not to get the color I wanted (Laser Blue Metallic), just to get the wood, in Red Metallic. Could use the wood trim on the Toyota Avalon ... as a matter of fact, it could use the whole intereior of the Avalon, or for the time, the Hyundai Azera. Both had superior interiors, but I opted for the uniqueness of the SS, with its V-8. The huge trunk could have been sacrificed for a little more rear seat room. Power sunroof, although I love, should not slide open outside the car, but in the roof.

Transmission issues on 2007 Impala SS
By ronnies

2007 Chevrolet Impala SS 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have never owned anything outside of Chevrolet for over 30 years. Although I am 56, I still enjoy the performance aspects of a vehicle, but love the room of a sedan. I thought the 2007 Impala SS would be perfect. Although I loved the car when operating correctly, it left me dissapointed more than it should. The first issue was getting locked in park (this happened twice) because of a wire breaking in the console. Secondly, the steering shaft had to be replaced because of a "clunk" when stopping and starting. The straw that broke the camels back for me with this car, was an issue I had with the trasmission. You could take off, and it felt like a manual with the clutch slipping.

It would then abruptly go into gear, feeling like it was hit from behind. I had this fixed once, and a month or so afterwards it started it again, only not happening all the time,but sporadically. The dealer said they couldnt fix it unless they saw it doing it at the dealership. I contacted Chevrolet, and they wouldnt do anything about it. I was fortunate, that with the 5 year/100,000 mile warranty, I never had to pay for these repairs. Unfortunately, the warranty was quickly running out with 4 1/2 years elapsing, but only 48,000 on car. I cut my losses and got rid of it. Its a shame, because it was a car that I could love if it had been dependable

My favorite car we've ever owned!
By dr86

2007 Chevrolet Impala SS 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We bought our vehicle about a year old. We were very excited after a very awful ford focus problem. We were told it was our dealers sons car. It was luxury and fast sporty kind of car all in one. Best of all we have 3 small children and it fit all the car seats in the back seat! We loved the way it drove. Very smooth ride reminds us of a buick bonneville. Very peppy and seems as fast as our '04 Mustang GT but its not. Over all we enjoyed this car and never would have gotten rid of it until we found out the dealer lied and underneath the vehicle in the crumple spots had been crumpled. It had basically been in a wreck and totaled. However, it still ran great with these issues.

Heated Leather Seats, 6 Disc CD Changer, Pep, Steering, great in snow! hugs curves, huge trunk, can fit up to 3 car seats in the back seats, air bag off option in front seat, comfy seats, most fun to drive.

Gas mileage with the SS definitely isn't as good as the LS LT or LTZ (bigger engine)