Used 2007 Chevrolet Impala Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

My midlife crisis car that became my nightmare
By Richard Prell

2007 Chevrolet Impala SS 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

After returning from a deployment to Afganistan I decided I wanted something with a little get up and go. I had always had Buicks which I have nothing bad to say about any of them. I have always serviced my cars regularly and my Impala SS was no exception. I was trouble free for the first year of ownership and then it all unraveled. First the transmission let loose. While doing the transmission I asked them to replace the leaking oil pan gasket and rear main seal. When they took off the gasket they found pieces that are part of the timing chain area in the pan. The car did not jump time but the motor had to be removed and a new chain installed because the other one was loose. 5000 dollars later I have my car back. It is not that I dislike Chevy it is the fact that i was told by numerous mechanics that the pieces around the timing chain were a mistake from the factory. Americans work very hard for there money and I find it inexcuseable that someone in the factory assembled this wrong and it got by how many quaility control people?

Best car I've ever owned
By max_webster

2007 Chevrolet Impala LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my Impala LT brand new in March 2007. Now it's February 2015 and well over 100,000 miles later. Had the steering recall issue dealt with when it was new, but that's the only thing it had to go back to the dealer for. I change the oil religiously, every 3,000 whether the "change oil" reminder comes on or not. Replaced the usual items that need periodic replacement on any car, like brake pads, tires, muffler. Changed the tranny fluid and anti-freeze and so on. Bottom line is that my Impala has given me many years of reliable, comfortable service, with no end in sight. (I kinda wish it would die because I love the new Impala). Beats a Korean or Japanese car any day!

Massive trunk and the fold down rear seats. Comfortable and smooth on long journey's. Reliable

The body style is dated, but they fixed that with the new model.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
By marnet

2007 Chevrolet Impala LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

The Good: Split bench seat with column shift lever, comfortable suspension, generally good driver visibility, huge trunk. The Bad: Large blind spots at C pillars. The Ugly: 1) Tire pressure monitor / key fob / antenna took 3 tries to fix under recall in first few months. 2) Problem in steering column fixed under recall in first year. 3) Power steering pump failed at 30,000 4) Water pump failed at 35,000 5) Part of wiring harness burned up at 45,000 6) Now at 50,000 fuel pump noisy, a/c/heater blower not working properly, motor mounts broken, and transmission slipping. All these major problems despite adhering to the "severe use" maintenance schedule.

* Split bench seat * Shift lever on steering column * Radio controls in steering wheel * Easy to read instrument readouts * Mostly easy to use dashboard controls * Power seat * Good visibility out back window * Huge trunk

Better engineering and production of critical components!!!

DO NOT BUY
By jasonm78

2007 Chevrolet Impala LTZ 4dr Sedan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

Nothing but problems out of this car. Bought it when it has 45k miles and already had to replace Water Pump Transmission Numerous Sensors Muffler AC hoses Power Steering Unit I never will buy another GM car, have to get this car repaired every other week and I can't trade because I have so much negative equity.

My bad experience
By celestial

2007 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We paid 17,000 for this car at only 2 yrs old. It had great performance at first, the lost all it's gusto. We were going through tires in the back like crazy and found out later there was a recall. We got into a head on car accident at 70km/hr and NOT 1 airbag went off. We had curtain and front airbags and nothing. Thankfully we walked away. The car was totaled. The other car had all airbags deployed. Contacted chev, got the run around. After research found out some of these cars were sold without air bags. We wanted it investigated but our car was mysteriously crushed 3 days after the accident. Prior to the accident, the whole exhaust system needed replacing, the electrical was going $.

The inside was nice but the seats were very uncomfortable on long trips. trunk size was big. Not much else to say about it that was good.

Needs tons of improvements. The car I had was not the base model. It's very loose in the back end in winter, even with good tires. Chev should make sure all the cars have air bags or issue a recall. If you have one, check for the recall of the back tires and save yourself some money on wearing tires. Despite regular on time maintenance the car was falling apart from the inside out by 125,000 km. Nice big price tag for junk. I know it's rated high but I would never buy another one!