Used 2006 Chevrolet Impala Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

Will never buy another impala
By Kim

2006 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I brought this car new and for the first year it was ok. My water pump went out and of course I had to pay three hundred to get it replaced. The car is very cheap made. The cd player doesn't work right. They put all the room in the trunk when they should have put it in the back seat area. The gas mileage is a joke. Why put on paper it gets 31 mpg when they know it doesn't. The only car I ever owned that I hated more was a ford tempo. Don't waste your time or money on this car. Chevrolet really dropped the ball on this car.

Good Quality - Built in Canada
By Preacher

2006 Chevrolet Impala LT 4dr Sedan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

From day one, this car has performed extremely well. The fit and finished were good and remain so. I have now driven this vehicle over 116,000 km and repair bills have been almost non- existent. It did required a new battery after 90,000 km; but with regular minimal maintenance, accompanied by regular Synthetic Amsoil oil changes and filters, I place it among one of the best cars I have ever owned. When the Lease expired, I bought the vehicle and it is everything I imagined an Oshawa built vehicle to be. Service at Park Lane Motors is excellent and customer oriented. I can hardly wait for the next generation of Impala to come off the Assembly Line; hopefully built in Oshawa, Ontario.

Favorite Features

Driving position, firm ride, good, quick power for a push-rod V6 of its vintage. Well-appointed.

Suggested Improvements

The leather seats could be more comfortable without sacrificing stability of ride, dash layout is not bad but should be improved ergonomically. Heat adjustment controls were improved on later models but is rather "hokey" for this model. Cup holders are too shallow and allow spillage when cornering.

I guess I'm not the only one
By LTAKBAR

2006 Chevrolet Impala SS 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I am in the U.S. Navy and traveled a lot my first 2 years I owned the car. At 37,000 miles, the transmission went out and had to be replaced. At 45,000 miles the steering went out and had to be replaced. The air sensors have not worked after the first year. Now I have the car overseas and it is impossible to find replacement parts or get the recall items fixed. My water pump went out in Bahrain and I had to have my original dealer in NJ find a spare and have it FedEx to me. I am waiting on my car to be shipped to Korea and I already know that there is no one here that can fix it. The car looks good and drives good, but the maintenance is a nightmare and expensive.

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage on the highway. Nice and sporty rims. The pull-down backseat is perfect for providing more carrying space. On-Star system in the U.S.

Suggested Improvements

Create more universal replacement parts. Better corrosion control off the lot, steering corroded through after only 45,000 miles.

2006 Impala water pump going out
By LT2

2006 Chevrolet Impala LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I enjoy my 2006 Impala. Unhappy with a water pump going out at 80,000 miles. That's just not right. Also, had to replace gas cap and some gas sensor. That's just not right either. Those things should be under some kind of warranty/recall.

Favorite Features

Love the temp. gauge. Interior is great. Big Trunk.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage. Only average 24-26 MPG. That's highway miles. Not bad except they advertise 31 MPG when I bought the car. Never once did it go past 28. I thought once the car loosened up the mileage would get better. That didn't happen.

Great value From Gm
By Ricky Powell

2006 Chevrolet Impala LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have found car to be solid air and road noise minimal good pick up for 3.5 v-6 and in my opinion Chevy has definitely closed any gap in quality there was and mine is 2006. I can't wait until the next generation Impalas hit the road look for it!

Favorite Features

The engine smooth transmission, ride, also seating materials, gauges knobs you don't have to fumble for its just a solidly built well thought out car.

Suggested Improvements

I always need more horsepower, GM just needs to keep heading in the direction its heading and get even better.