2006 Chevrolet Impala LS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Reviews

2006 Impala Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

Sort Reviews by

highway driver and love it
By gord

2006 Chevrolet Impala LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this car for 10000 miles and so far I absolutely love it. Handles really well on the highway and in the city. Good gas mileage for a car this size. Very comfortable on the long drive. Lots of power for passing and I love the looks

Favorite Features

steering wheel controls and the style

Suggested Improvements

softer ride for a car this size. split rear folding seat should be standard

Nice Car
By canesfans27

2006 Chevrolet Impala LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought it brand new with less than 10 miles on it. Now it has 123,000 miles and still drives great. I have replaced the tires twice and replaced the water pump which the dealer misdiagnosed the first time I went in with it but no engine damage at all. I definitely would buy another car since it has never failed to start on me. I use regular oil and change it every 7500 miles or so and right now only have an issue with the rear window defrost is very slow if working at all.

Favorite Features

ONSTAR the seats are very very comfy and I go on long road trips and have driven many cars and nothing is as comfortable as this car.

Suggested Improvements

Make the power seat more secure the cable that drives the seat likes to come unlatched.

Love it and Hate it!!!
By DV

2006 Chevrolet Impala SS 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this car three years ago and I absolutely love the way it drives, I love the way it looks and I love the special options. What I hate is that I have had several problems since the day I drove it off the showroom floor to include tire sensors, strange smell of radiator fluid, head gasket replacement (twice!!), new alternator, new battery, electrical problems with the seat warmers - sometimes they work, sometimes they don't, sometimes the electrical panel goes blank while I am driving- all in the first 37,000 miles! I got a dud! I love it and I hate it.

Favorite Features

The look of the car and the horsepower!

Suggested Improvements

Build a car that will need minimum work done within the first 100,000 miles like hyndai.

problems encountered
By clarence evans

2006 Chevrolet Impala LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Since purchasing my 2006 Impala, I have have replaced the tires 3 times had the rack and pinion replaced, replaced the water pump, had the steering rod lubed, replaced the tie rod replaced, the passenger door lock won't unlock, and currently the temperature sensors needs to be replaced thus causing the air conditioner not to work...and the driver sun visor needs to be replaced only 63,000 miles on this car to date

Favorite Features

Gas mileage is the best feature of this car

Suggested Improvements

there should be a recall on all 2006 Impalas by GM seems the problem I have had is being experienced by a lot of owners.

Junk
By Skreamz

2006 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car back in 2007. it had 21K miles on it. head gasket replaced at 24K miles on it. Master switch for window controls replaced at 28K. Intake manifold gasket replaced at 51K. The motor cuts out at 107mph. GM could have done a lot better with their vehicles. I will buy Japanese next time.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Go back to using green anti freeze instead of dex cool. Eats away at head gaskets.

Running in Texas
By Tex

2006 Chevrolet Impala LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

First Chevrolet since a 1989 Caprice Classic lemon. Pleasantly surprised by the quality of this car. Expected the 3000-6000 mile rattles typical of GM sedans, but they never appeared. To date I have 106,000 miles on the car and have done nothing but oil and filter changes along with air cleaner. On my second set of tires and still running factory brakes. Now with the GM problems trying to guess if I should keep this one or buy another. The thought of the government handling my warranty on a new car does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Favorite Features

Love the Flip and Fold back seats. Hwy mileage kept getting better and is now 33-34 on cruise at 73mph.

Suggested Improvements

Small exterior mirrors leave large blind spots. The front window pillars actually conceal cars to the right at 4 way stops.

Needs just a little work...
By P Walker

2006 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my impala with 40,000 mile on it and I have not had much trouble out of it. I have had the water pump go bad, that has been replaced under extended warrenty. However, the tire sensor is broken and the temperature sensor is broken as well. My husband is 6'5" and he fits comfortably in the car with me. We have been in an accident where some one hit us in the back with a Ford F150 and it did more damage to him than to us. It it a safe car. My next vehicle will not be a car but if it was I would get another used impala. (no point in getting a new car, they depreciate so quickly). If dealers stand behind their product a slightly used car is just as good if not better (lower payments).

Favorite Features

Stereo system, smoothness of the ride, acceleration abilities

Suggested Improvements

Space in the back seat (im 5'9" and there still isn't enough space for others), tire and temperature sensors, also starter is acting a little funny. Key pad (have to be right up on the car to use it)

06 Impala lt
By TheSheeve

2006 Chevrolet Impala LT 4dr Sedan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

The is 2 yrs old, bought brand new off the show room floor. We have had it in for repair for steering, stereo stopped working, rear defroster, remote starter, gass leaks, oil leaks, and the car gets bad mpg. The factory rotors only lasted 1.5yrs before warping. Oh... And the struts need replaced.

Favorite Features

spacious.

Great Car for the Money
By Ryan

2006 Chevrolet Impala LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my Impala LT for nearly one year and am very happy with it - 36k miles. It's been 100 percent reliable, solid feeling, and gets about 28-32 on the highway (once got 34mpg on a tank driving 65 on flat open highway). This is a great car if you're looking for an American vehicle that's well built, has a great drive train, and can be driven long distances with good comfort. My last Chevy (1998) went more than 170k trouble free....hopping to get the same or more out of this one. So far, so good.

Favorite Features

Remote start

Suggested Improvements

Would be nice to have stiffer shocks/struts. The ride is very smooth and comfortable, but almost too nice in my opinion. But strangely, the car doesn't "float" of feel unstable on switch-back roads....actually handles quite well for such a large car

it is what it is...
By John

2006 Chevrolet Impala SS 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Purchased new in '06. Rotors warped at about 15k mi. Was told by my mechanic this is typical. Grounded down and now have 36k mi. on car. Always used synthetic oil and always 1/2 to 1 quart short when I go in for a change. The tire sensors failed and were fixed under warranty; fixed the key fob too, only worked when next to the car (defeated purpose of remote start). The truck lid is heavy and difficult to open. Wish I bought the package with Bose stereo & heated outside mirrors. The car handles relatively well for front wheel drive. It is very fast and is excellent highway cruiser. Surprisingly decent in snow with factory tires.

Favorite Features

exhaust growl; straight line acceleration; intuitive dash layout; very good hwy car; headlights are great (even w/o HID); relatively quiet interior.

Suggested Improvements

why does this engine burn oil?! Better factory brakes/rotors; better grade of plastic on doors / dashboard; leather seats wearing from use prematurely; I HATE the AC/Heat climate control "wheels," just plain stupid; Can achieve same control with a dial. Make SS run on 87 octane.