Used 2006 Chevrolet Impala Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

Most Helpful|
Great car
By mopardave

2006 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have 260 000 km on the car. The car still runs great. The low oil pressure warning came on, mine was easy fix, changed the switch ($37) and thermostat (run hot, ac off warning) replaced. I hope to get to 400000km. Everything still works well and it drives like the day I bought it.

Enjoyable and Simple Sedan
By joe_bob

2006 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I have driven this impala for almost 37,000 miles now it had about 35,000 on it when I started driving this car. It completely changed what I expected from a car. I had previously thought that all cars where like the honda pilot aka: uncomfortable however this car with the seat warmers is absolutely wonderful. I regularly commute about 2 hours a day and have very little back pain the whole time. I also took this car on a road trip from Ohio to Alabama and experienced only a small amount of discomfort. This car is surprisingly reliable considering it is the first model of its generation. Some people may think that the stereo is outdated. However, I find it works fine for my needs.

Favorite Features

The seat heaters are amazing and get very hot they also heat both your back and rear end. I like having the optional fog lights. I find the stereo sounds nice and has plenty of bass. The headlights in this car with the default bulbs are plenty bright and much brighter than the bulbs in the honda crv.

Suggested Improvements

I would suggest having sun-visors that hold up to constant use better. Also built in ice packs in the seat would be nice.

Good but not great
By jzinger34

2006 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car brand new in 2006 and have been pleased. I now have 125,000 miles on the car but not without complaints. I have had a check engine light for months because of valve on the top of the gas tank. $300 in labor to fix $10 part. I had to have gasket on oil filter mount replaced. $5 gasket, $140 labor! The electrical system is much to be desired. I got the premium BOSE system in the car but only certain speakers work at certain times. Mostly just rear speakers, sometimes just fronts, sometimes speakers on right side. As of this morning, the transmission started shifting hard. I am pretty worried after reading all the tranny reviews on here.

Favorite Features

Reliable, good ride, pretty good gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Electrical, Transmission, Blind spots especially when backing.

2006 SS rain management system failure
By tompmn

2006 Chevrolet Impala Sedan SS 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Our 2006 Impala SS leaks A LOT on the drivers side by the emergency brake every time it rains. I inquired with my Chevy dealer and said my car leaks when it rains without providing details and the technician indicated the "rain management system" has failed. He told me to look at the headliner and see if there is a water stain. Sure enough there was. I inquired if there was a recall and he said no, it will cost minimum of $500 to look at it and $135 hour to trace the leak. All original equipment, no rust or windshield change. This is our second Impala and i am extremely disappointed with Chevrolet Quality and their position. I would not buy another Impala.

Favorite Features

We like the exterior styling, the interior, very quiet and the engine (although you have to add 1-2 quarts betweeen changes, normal we are told).

Suggested Improvements

More owner friendly help desk for the do it yourselfer versus prompt $500 to $1500 to repair. Having bought the car new off the lot I am extremely disappointed with Chevrolet Quality, specifically the response. Where I work we measure quality escapes in terms of Parts Per Million. Unfortunately I got a lemon and Chevy is not interested in Continuous Improvement.

2006 Impala LS 236,000 miles
By truexemplar

2006 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought a new 2006 Impala LS with front bench seat and are very pleased with it. We have 236,000 miles (all highway) and looking to move it out but have not found anything I like. It is still my new car. I have only had 3 repairs including a water pump the most expensive. My oil change mechanic says take it on trips and I do. I really can't believe how dependable the car has been. We averaged 27.7 mph overall. Going on 630 mile round trip this weekend. Should I go to 250,000 miles?

Favorite Features

Front Bench Seat

Suggested Improvements

More comfortable seats. Keep the front bench seat. A lot of people do not like the bucket seat cock pit environment. Too constricting.