Used 2006 Chevrolet Impala Consumer Reviews - 308 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Reviews

2006 Chevrolet Impala

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

Could be better but age has something to do with that.
By markb873

2006 Chevrolet Impala LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased a 2006 Impala in December of 2012 at 67,000 miles. Pulled the service history from Chevy and found no major issues in the vehicle's past. Someone ripped the connector off the rear window defrost so that needed to be re-attached. This Impala had the factory fluid in the transmission causing the delayed shift issue common to these. Managed to eliminate that with a few transmission flushes, additives, and filter changes. Had to replace the lower intake gaskets as the engine was leaking coolant internally. Somebody tried to fix that with a few bottles of stop leak so the coolant looked like mud. Head gaskets have some external oil leaks but I haven't replaced them yet.

Remote Start. Oil Life monitor. Compass.

Holy Gaskets.....GM needs to improve gaskets. Transmission improvements need to be made as well. They destroy the fluid and turn it to sludge. Similar Toyota transmissions seem to get double the life from the fluid.

Never again
By emm4

2006 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I made the biggest mistake ever in buying this car. I bought it from someone I didn't know well. He told me it might need brakes. Ok I accept that. I take the car to a delership. It neeed rotars, a tirod
end and a new battery. But supposedly nothing serious. I get those issues fixed. I went on vacation with my family a couple hours away from home. Fine all the way up there and during my trip. On my way home. Right before we hit the E-way it starts acting funny. Then it died. I had it towed to a dealership. Turns out it has motor problems like it needs a new engine!!! Because of a crack or something deep inside the motor.
I had to have it towed home. 180 miles!!!

It was a comfortable car.

My suggestion is have your motor checked inside and out before buying this new or used.

Don/t buy it.
By ellenmd

2006 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car 2 years ago and I have had to replace the power steering pump twice.
Now my transmission is going because it makes a noise and it jerks when I change it from reverse to drive. It is not worth the time, money, or effort.
The next vehicle I get I will buy a foreign one. Because for some reason we Americans can't build a good dependable car that is affordable. It is all junk. I had an 01 Mitzsubishi Montero Sport for 4 years and never had problems out of it.
the only reason I got rid of it was because it was costing me in gas. I wished I would have just paid for the gas.

Make it more dependable and don't make it like a hot wheels car.

Good but not great
By jzinger34

2006 Chevrolet Impala LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car brand new in 2006 and have been pleased. I now have 125,000 miles on the car but not without complaints. I have had a check engine light for months because of valve on the top of the gas tank. $300 in labor to fix $10 part. I had to have gasket on oil filter mount replaced. $5 gasket, $140 labor! The electrical system is much to be desired. I got the premium BOSE system in the car but only certain speakers work at certain times. Mostly just rear speakers, sometimes just fronts, sometimes speakers on right side. As of this morning, the transmission started shifting hard. I am pretty worried after reading all the tranny reviews on here.

Reliable, good ride, pretty good gas mileage.

Electrical, Transmission, Blind spots especially when backing.

Never again...
By aorunes

2006 Chevrolet Impala SS 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this car with 32k mi now at 65k: Came with a clean carfax/auto check (not 100% accurate I know). At first I loved this car it only needed the TPMS sensors replaced which I could live without. We here I am a year and a half later and wish I hadn't purchased this lemon... Lets see:
So far I have had to replace: Rotors,Pads (normal), Front engine motor mount, power steering pump return line, HVAC blender solenoid (i think its going out again). It needs a fuel pump sending unit(got to buy the whole pump), now has a #1 Cylinder misfire (which is way to common to not recall), Shifts hard so transmission work is in my future. All with daily commuting.. no real rough driving

The 325hp V8 ... thats about it...

Stand behind your vehicle.... I expect little things here and there... but all these problems and just at 65,000 miles... seems to me GM was in a rush to push this car out and now refuses to recall anything because it takes someone dieing or being badly hurt to initiate a recall for some of the stuff...