2006 Chevrolet Impala LS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Reviews

2006 Impala Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

Sort Reviews by

Expen$$$$ive repairs imminent, traded it in
By steve395

2006 Chevrolet Impala LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased a 2006 Impala in 2007. I was originally drawn to its style, power, comfort, very quiet ride, etc. I got a good price for it because it was a former rental. I bought it with 28,000 miles and traded it in at 99,600. In between that time it was pretty reliable. Right after the warranty ran out, I had problems with the steering system popping.I began to notice other problems at 75,000. The paint had the durability of nail polish. The driver's side visor hung down. I never could get the brakes to stop pulsating despite changing rotors. Random warning lights came on. Finally - no heat at idle. Head gaskets. Dealer wanted $1,900 to fix.

Favorite Features

Very smooth, quiet ride. Big and comfortable. I usually averaged 25 mpg city/highway combo.

Suggested Improvements

Overall build quality needs to improve.

Great Car
By oildawg

2006 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Im suprised at all the negative reviews, then again as a former service manager, no I'm not. I bought my Impala brand new & have put over 140k on it with little or no trouble. 1 water pump @ 42k...with dealer assistance, 1 window regulator, and a battery. Ride, drive, and performance is still great. I am a maintenance freak and take great car of my cars, my plan is to give to my son for college and it will have about 180k then. I see no resson why this car wont go 2-300k.

Favorite Features

No real favorite, its really a pretty plain car, but great source of transportation.

Suggested Improvements

More and better cupholders.

GM left me hanging.
By gmletmedown

2006 Chevrolet Impala SS 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I took my new bride on our honeymoon to Montana this past June (I'm from Arizona). Before leaving, I had the oil changed and had the entire car checked out before I left. As soon as I hit 76,000 (1,000 miles past my extended warranty) the transmission began to slip. I was left stranded and GM refused to help me. I was forced to pay for a local transmission shop to repair the car, luckily for me they seem to have done a good job. I will never buy another GM car. They do not build reliable cars and I have always supported them up until this. Here is a list of other problems that I've had to deal with: 1. I've gone through TWO waterpumps. The first waterpump went out because

Favorite Features

cont from above: because the chevy repairmen dropped it and bent the pully. 2. The car had two window regulators go out. 3. I've had to have my rotors changed. 4. All of the AC regulators had to be changed. 5. I don't listen to loud music, but my rear speakers are both blown. 6. All of the trim has had to be replaced because the glue didn't last in AZ's heat.

Suggested Improvements

GM should contact me at lewis0803@hotmail.com to make this right. I've driven many GM vehicles prior to this car. I bought this Impala with 30 miles and took very good care of it. Since GM took so much of my tax money, they need to make it right!

Loovvee this car!
By krisevans

2006 Chevrolet Impala SS 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

so comfortable; interior is nice; great for road trips! Seats are tall and cause blind spot but you get used to that; sun visors too short-hard to get used to that. Tire Monitor warning has come on since I got this car-off show-room floor and no dealer or mechanic has been able to fix. And it sucks down the oil - but warning light is reliable when it gets 1 quart low. Drives great in bad weather as well. In good weather will give you whip-lash in a second. LOVE this car!

Favorite Features

seats are comfortable; stylish exterior; speed

Suggested Improvements

please do something about the tire monitors & the oil guzzling

Love My Car
By brianm20nascar

2006 Chevrolet Impala LT 4dr Sedan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

First up. I'm a mechanic and I've been reading the reviews on here. I love it when people complain about having to do a repair or 2 to their car, then mention it has 96,000 miles on it. This review is also probably coming from the guy who doesn't believe in regular maintenance of a vehicle and spends as little money on it as possible. My 2006 Impala 3.9 LT3 has 26,000 miles on it, and Its one of the better cars I've seen GM make. I have seen NO problems with my car personally. And I take very good care of my car. All options work as expected. and I can start my car from 200 ft away in the house with the remote. Awesome for cold days. 31 mpg at 70 mph on trip to Tennessee. Great Car.

Favorite Features

Remote Start, Heated Seats, Spoiler, 17" Wheels, Sunroof, Mp3 Player, 242hp!

Suggested Improvements

GM has already come out with an updated Intermediate shaft for the steering column to replace the faulty one from the factory. Expect a class action Lawsuit to cover the repair bill. Its a problem on many of them. Also feel sorry for the people with the SS model. That juicy 5.3 303 hp engine is a bit heavy for the poorly designed front GM Wheel bearings. Expect to replace them at 100k if not slightly before. Wish my grey leather was a bit darker. I'm scared it will show its age too much.

Don't buy an Impala!
By NeverbyeaChevy

2006 Chevrolet Impala LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is the worst car I have ever owned. Nonstop problems I don't care if it has warranty or not. Major electrical problems, rear defroster does not work. Have to unplug the radio fuse and plug it back in to have it work. Lights dim while driving. Power Steering problems, heat problems front suspension problems. Even the gas cap does not work. I will never buy another GM product and tell everyone I can about it!

Favorite Features

Nothing

Suggested Improvements

Everything

Gotta love Chevy
By impalaman258

2006 Chevrolet Impala LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

i love my PALA i bought it with 53,000 miles and just hit a year owned not to long ago got 82,000. I'm 18 years old and yes sir i do drive everywhere spring break :) my car i guess you can call souped up i have bigger rims 20"s rides fantastic and trans is holding knock on wood i haven't had to many issues just things i broke from mods in the car i have custom duel pipes which makes that 3.5L roar this car a great choice upgrading to Chevy avalanche next year unfortunately. i found out the car has a list from carfax and was smashed in the back which upset me and she still going good.

Favorite Features

comfy design trunk space gas mileage is great even when i have big rims

Suggested Improvements

seats squeaking i mean nothing serious make them rear wheel drive i want a caprice

Great Car
By Matthew

2006 Chevrolet Impala LT 4dr Sedan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I bought it used at 12,000 miles, now at 50,000. It has been in two fender benders (other drivers faults) and besides the repair work, has not been in a shop once. On the highway CT to NH, I get 33 miles per gallon there and back at 60 mph. Highway mileage is great, just keep the speed down. Front seats go back far (I am tall) but there is less rear leg room then the 2003 style impala. Tons of rear space when the front seats are push up. Lifetime gas mileage is about 23 mpg. Computer led display is nice, no vents have broke, my driver side floor mat wore out, and has three cigarette lighter jacks. I love the car, and plan on keeping it for years more.

Favorite Features

Dash LED display, wood trim, Audio cable input (for ipods/mp3 players/ sound from dvd player)

Suggested Improvements

Remove the speed re-stricter chip at 115 mph.

Think twice before you buy
By Jennifer

2006 Chevrolet Impala SS 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

2 years ago we purchased a 2006 Chevy Impala. This is by far the worst vehicle I have ever purchased. The car has mechanical malfunctions all the time, some the repair shop could not even figure out. I had to have sensors and other parts replaced well before the time that they should wear out. The paint job is shoddy too. My husband takes very good care of our cars. This Impala has the pin-striping coming off with each wax job. We only use extremely good car care products, like Mothers car wax. I feel the paint job is inferior and not the wax. Not happy I will be paying for this waste of money vehicle for the next 3 years. I have even tried to turn it in as a trade on a different brand

Favorite Features

none

Suggested Improvements

scrap this car and start over.

Will never buy another impala
By Kim

2006 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I brought this car new and for the first year it was ok. My water pump went out and of course I had to pay three hundred to get it replaced. The car is very cheap made. The cd player doesn't work right. They put all the room in the trunk when they should have put it in the back seat area. The gas mileage is a joke. Why put on paper it gets 31 mpg when they know it doesn't. The only car I ever owned that I hated more was a ford tempo. Don't waste your time or money on this car. Chevrolet really dropped the ball on this car.