Used 2006 Chevrolet Impala Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Reviews

2006 Chevrolet Impala

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

Good but not great
By jzinger34

2006 Chevrolet Impala LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car brand new in 2006 and have been pleased. I now have 125,000 miles on the car but not without complaints. I have had a check engine light for months because of valve on the top of the gas tank. $300 in labor to fix $10 part. I had to have gasket on oil filter mount replaced. $5 gasket, $140 labor! The electrical system is much to be desired. I got the premium BOSE system in the car but only certain speakers work at certain times. Mostly just rear speakers, sometimes just fronts, sometimes speakers on right side. As of this morning, the transmission started shifting hard. I am pretty worried after reading all the tranny reviews on here.

Favorite Features

Reliable, good ride, pretty good gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Electrical, Transmission, Blind spots especially when backing.

Never again...
By aorunes

2006 Chevrolet Impala SS 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this car with 32k mi now at 65k: Came with a clean carfax/auto check (not 100% accurate I know). At first I loved this car it only needed the TPMS sensors replaced which I could live without. We here I am a year and a half later and wish I hadn't purchased this lemon... Lets see: So far I have had to replace: Rotors,Pads (normal), Front engine motor mount, power steering pump return line, HVAC blender solenoid (i think its going out again). It needs a fuel pump sending unit(got to buy the whole pump), now has a #1 Cylinder misfire (which is way to common to not recall), Shifts hard so transmission work is in my future. All with daily commuting.. no real rough driving

Favorite Features

The 325hp V8 ... thats about it...

Suggested Improvements

Stand behind your vehicle.... I expect little things here and there... but all these problems and just at 65,000 miles... seems to me GM was in a rush to push this car out and now refuses to recall anything because it takes someone dieing or being badly hurt to initiate a recall for some of the stuff...

Nice to drive - when it works
By waldo57

2006 Chevrolet Impala LTZ 4dr Sedan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I just (thankfully) traded in my 2006 Chevrolet Impala LTZ that I had for 3 years. It was a complete nightmare. I replaced the power steering pump twice, and had the power steering service four or five times on top of that. When the weather got cold, the power steering pump would "pressurize" and blow the hose right off, leaking power steering fluid all over the ground. The dealership charged me several hundred dollars to "fix" it, but by the time I traded it in several months later, the power steering pump was making a grinding noise again. Other than these problems, the car was very nice. It handled well, and has plenty of power for passing or moving in traffic.

Favorite Features

-3.9L V6 (LTZ model) provided lots of power. -Bose sound system was phenomenal, even with factory head unit.

Suggested Improvements

Refine the dash by removing fake wood finish.

The worse decision I ever made.
By officernate

2006 Chevrolet Impala SS 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this car brand new and spent the first 12 months in and out of dealerships to fix, repair, replace, or other wise upgrade something that has broken or been recalled. Since then, I have found out that the brake rotors are smaller then they should be for a car this size, the A/C unit has several issues dealing with the compressor clutch, and blend door actuators (keep a stock of those if you have this car.) The steering is horrible and I've had multiple issues with the power steering (hoses, rack and pinion, etc.) The transmission will live only to its warrenty and no longer. Be prepared to get a new one after 75,000 miles. It leaks oil like no other car I've ever driven.

Favorite Features

I had some good things to say about this car a while ago, but since then I'm pretty fed up and have absolutely nothing good to advise.

Suggested Improvements

Scrap all plans on this vehicle and and start over!

2006 SS rain management system failure
By tompmn

2006 Chevrolet Impala SS 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Our 2006 Impala SS leaks A LOT on the drivers side by the emergency brake every time it rains. I inquired with my Chevy dealer and said my car leaks when it rains without providing details and the technician indicated the "rain management system" has failed. He told me to look at the headliner and see if there is a water stain. Sure enough there was. I inquired if there was a recall and he said no, it will cost minimum of $500 to look at it and $135 hour to trace the leak. All original equipment, no rust or windshield change. This is our second Impala and i am extremely disappointed with Chevrolet Quality and their position. I would not buy another Impala.

Favorite Features

We like the exterior styling, the interior, very quiet and the engine (although you have to add 1-2 quarts betweeen changes, normal we are told).

Suggested Improvements

More owner friendly help desk for the do it yourselfer versus prompt $500 to $1500 to repair. Having bought the car new off the lot I am extremely disappointed with Chevrolet Quality, specifically the response. Where I work we measure quality escapes in terms of Parts Per Million. Unfortunately I got a lemon and Chevy is not interested in Continuous Improvement.