Used 2006 Chevrolet Impala Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

Most Helpful|
Big time hassle
By Shelley

2006 Chevrolet Impala LTZ 4dr Sedan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

This car has been in the shop non-stop since I bought it.First the fuel sensor, then a brake recall, now the dash is acting up-It has been in the shop 6 times for electronic problems. Engine cooling for temp outside of 40 degrees, it was 70. Turn signals broke, dash says no seatbelts on - everyone has belts on. Air bag says off when adult passenger in seat-or was it off-who the heck knows. I love the way this car handles and its comfort, but I am fed up. Data recorder was installed-said replace ignition switch, they did, 8 days later, same problems. Only 8000 miles and in the shop over 6 times-I had planned to keep this car until it dropped, but that has changed.

Favorite Features

Handling, interior, Bose, trunk button on dash--no hanging down under the dash looking for the trunk release!

Suggested Improvements

GM needs to give their techs good support.

Problems, Problems, Problems
By ECRISS

2006 Chevrolet Impala LT 4dr Sedan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I have loved everything about this car up until about a year after I bought it, Within the last four months I have had my tire sensors replaced numerous times. I have had my tires replace at no charge through the dealer, the steering shaft was replaced a month ago and today I had both front tie rods replaced! Something not of the norm at 24,000 miles. Poor, poor gas mileage! I was originally looking for an Acura, but wanted to stay American. Guess I made a wrong decision.

Favorite Features

I love the sporty look of the car. Plenty of room wich is great if you have children.

Suggested Improvements

Tire monitor sytem is always failing, find a better system. Tie rods! C'mon need I say more. Gas mileage should have been more accurate. Looking at other reviews, I'm kinda wondering when I will need a new transmission.

Piece of junk
By Joe Smith

2006 Chevrolet Impala LT 4dr Sedan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

Soon after I bought it the power steering starting leaking and breaking hoses. Rear door wont open. Cant shift out of drive. Key gets stuck in the ignition. Front end feels like its coming apart. Should have been covered under cash for clunkers but presumably it is worth too much.

Favorite Features

color

No longer a Chevy fan
By Ivey01

2006 Chevrolet Impala LT 4dr Sedan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

My husband and I purchased two Impalas in May of 2006. First of all to those folks who have said the problems are related to TLC of your car, I couldn't disagree more. My Impala has had all the appropriate maintenance and yet it is still falling apart. The first year was okay, but approx 15 months after we bought it the Intermediate steering shaft & a tie rod had to be replaced, since then it has been one thing after another from emissions systems to the latest a power steering problem. Oil consumption and climate control have also been issues. The noisy windows I think are standard, on both of our cars the windows screech when you roll them down.

Favorite Features

The one plus has been the gas mileage, it is fantastic.

Suggested Improvements

Better build quality! It is very sad to see such poor quality from an American made vehicle. Unfortunately my next vehicle will be a foreign one.

No more Chevy for me
By slim

2006 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I own a 2006 Chevrolet Impala lS, and I hate that car. I bought it with 46,234 miles on it, at 50,000 miles the water pump started to leak, so I had to replace it. The gas mileage is poor, the inside armrest is already broken, I had to replace a speaker that stopped working or worked when it wanted too, the automatic trunk relaese button works when it wants too, the power door lock switch on driver side door only lets you lock the doors not open them. The transmission shifts how it wants too, sometimes smooth sometimes kicks in the gears harsh shifting, and then this past Friday something happened with the power steering, all the fluid leaks out. I am not happy at all with this Impala. No more Chevy of any kind for me.