Used 2006 Chevrolet Impala SS Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Impala Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

140k miles and it never let me down.
By Mario Alvisi

2006 Chevrolet Impala Sedan SS 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought new and have 140k miles so far. I have detected a little slippage in the tranny recently. Other than that, never a problem, just basic maintenance. Fast, comfortable, sedan. Torque steer is evident and annoying at first. Once you get used to it you know how manage it.

don't buy unless you have a good job
By Lisa Reese

2006 Chevrolet Impala Sedan SS 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Had my 2006 impala as for 3 years, every time I take it to the dealer, they want 200 to 300 dollars for Senors, I don't understand what these people want from us. It seem as though I'm rebuilding a car that's not even paid for yet. Please Chevrolet manufacturer, or Vice president , check into this, I'm about to have a breakdown.

Never again...
By aorunes

2006 Chevrolet Impala Sedan SS 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this car with 32k mi now at 65k: Came with a clean carfax/auto check (not 100% accurate I know). At first I loved this car it only needed the TPMS sensors replaced which I could live without. We here I am a year and a half later and wish I hadn't purchased this lemon... Lets see: So far I have had to replace: Rotors,Pads (normal), Front engine motor mount, power steering pump return line, HVAC blender solenoid (i think its going out again). It needs a fuel pump sending unit(got to buy the whole pump), now has a #1 Cylinder misfire (which is way to common to not recall), Shifts hard so transmission work is in my future. All with daily commuting.. no real rough driving

The 325hp V8 ... thats about it...

Stand behind your vehicle.... I expect little things here and there... but all these problems and just at 65,000 miles... seems to me GM was in a rush to push this car out and now refuses to recall anything because it takes someone dieing or being badly hurt to initiate a recall for some of the stuff...

The worse decision I ever made.
By officernate

2006 Chevrolet Impala Sedan SS 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this car brand new and spent the first 12 months in and out of dealerships to fix, repair, replace, or other wise upgrade something that has broken or been recalled. Since then, I have found out that the brake rotors are smaller then they should be for a car this size, the A/C unit has several issues dealing with the compressor clutch, and blend door actuators (keep a stock of those if you have this car.) The steering is horrible and I've had multiple issues with the power steering (hoses, rack and pinion, etc.) The transmission will live only to its warrenty and no longer. Be prepared to get a new one after 75,000 miles. It leaks oil like no other car I've ever driven.

I had some good things to say about this car a while ago, but since then I'm pretty fed up and have absolutely nothing good to advise.

Scrap all plans on this vehicle and and start over!

2006 SS rain management system failure
By tompmn

2006 Chevrolet Impala Sedan SS 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Our 2006 Impala SS leaks A LOT on the drivers side by the emergency brake every time it rains. I inquired with my Chevy dealer and said my car leaks when it rains without providing details and the technician indicated the "rain management system" has failed. He told me to look at the headliner and see if there is a water stain. Sure enough there was. I inquired if there was a recall and he said no, it will cost minimum of $500 to look at it and $135 hour to trace the leak. All original equipment, no rust or windshield change. This is our second Impala and i am extremely disappointed with Chevrolet Quality and their position. I would not buy another Impala.

We like the exterior styling, the interior, very quiet and the engine (although you have to add 1-2 quarts betweeen changes, normal we are told).

More owner friendly help desk for the do it yourselfer versus prompt $500 to $1500 to repair. Having bought the car new off the lot I am extremely disappointed with Chevrolet Quality, specifically the response. Where I work we measure quality escapes in terms of Parts Per Million. Unfortunately I got a lemon and Chevy is not interested in Continuous Improvement.