2006 Chevrolet Impala Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impala model:
Never again...
By aorunes on 02/22/13 13:36 PM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Impala Sedan SS 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this car with 32k mi now at 65k: Came with a clean carfax/auto check (not 100% accurate I know). At first I loved this car it only needed the TPMS sensors replaced which I could live without. We here I am a year and a half later and wish I hadn't purchased this lemon... Lets see: So far I have had to replace: Rotors,Pads (normal), Front engine motor mount, power steering pump return line, HVAC blender solenoid (i think its going out again). It needs a fuel pump sending unit(got to buy the whole pump), now has a #1 Cylinder misfire (which is way to common to not recall), Shifts hard so transmission work is in my future. All with daily commuting.. no real rough driving

The worse decision I ever made.
By officernate on 07/16/12 08:48 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Impala Sedan SS 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this car brand new and spent the first 12 months in and out of dealerships to fix, repair, replace, or other wise upgrade something that has broken or been recalled. Since then, I have found out that the brake rotors are smaller then they should be for a car this size, the A/C unit has several issues dealing with the compressor clutch, and blend door actuators (keep a stock of those if you have this car.) The steering is horrible and I've had multiple issues with the power steering (hoses, rack and pinion, etc.) The transmission will live only to its warrenty and no longer. Be prepared to get a new one after 75,000 miles. It leaks oil like no other car I've ever driven.

2006 SS rain management system failure
By tompmn on 07/05/12 12:48 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Impala Sedan SS 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Our 2006 Impala SS leaks A LOT on the drivers side by the emergency brake every time it rains. I inquired with my Chevy dealer and said my car leaks when it rains without providing details and the technician indicated the "rain management system" has failed. He told me to look at the headliner and see if there is a water stain. Sure enough there was. I inquired if there was a recall and he said no, it will cost minimum of $500 to look at it and $135 hour to trace the leak. All original equipment, no rust or windshield change. This is our second Impala and i am extremely disappointed with Chevrolet Quality and their position. I would not buy another Impala.

06 Impala SS
By eeterson on 02/19/12 09:49 AM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Impala Sedan SS 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this car used with 60,000 miles. I ignored the fact I test drove it with check engine light and warning lights. Wanted this great looking big engine fueled car. Used car dealer turned the car over with all issues "fixed." Light came back on, transmission needed to be rebuilt. Dealer fixed that, had to fix trunk release issue. Power door locks stopped working. Sensors were going through the six months I had this car. Lots of little annoying things. Unreliable car but FUN TO DRIVE. Loved the power. And for all its flaws it was safe. I ended up rolling this thing pretty badly, totaled the car. Walked away uninjured.

GM left me hanging.
By gmletmedown on 07/25/11 18:33 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Impala Sedan SS 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I took my new bride on our honeymoon to Montana this past June (I'm from Arizona). Before leaving, I had the oil changed and had the entire car checked out before I left. As soon as I hit 76,000 (1,000 miles past my extended warranty) the transmission began to slip. I was left stranded and GM refused to help me. I was forced to pay for a local transmission shop to repair the car, luckily for me they seem to have done a good job. I will never buy another GM car. They do not build reliable cars and I have always supported them up until this. Here is a list of other problems that I've had to deal with: 1. I've gone through TWO waterpumps. The first waterpump went out because

Loovvee this car!
By krisevans on 02/11/11 10:58 AM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Impala Sedan SS 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

so comfortable; interior is nice; great for road trips! Seats are tall and cause blind spot but you get used to that; sun visors too short-hard to get used to that. Tire Monitor warning has come on since I got this car-off show-room floor and no dealer or mechanic has been able to fix. And it sucks down the oil - but warning light is reliable when it gets 1 quart low. Drives great in bad weather as well. In good weather will give you whip-lash in a second. LOVE this car!

Think twice before you buy
By Jennifer on 09/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Impala Sedan SS 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

2 years ago we purchased a 2006 Chevy Impala. This is by far the worst vehicle I have ever purchased. The car has mechanical malfunctions all the time, some the repair shop could not even figure out. I had to have sensors and other parts replaced well before the time that they should wear out. The paint job is shoddy too. My husband takes very good care of our cars. This Impala has the pin-striping coming off with each wax job. We only use extremely good car care products, like Mothers car wax. I feel the paint job is inferior and not the wax. Not happy I will be paying for this waste of money vehicle for the next 3 years. I have even tried to turn it in as a trade on a different brand

I guess I'm not the only one
By LTAKBAR on 06/26/10 00:50 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Impala Sedan SS 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I am in the U.S. Navy and traveled a lot my first 2 years I owned the car. At 37,000 miles, the transmission went out and had to be replaced. At 45,000 miles the steering went out and had to be replaced. The air sensors have not worked after the first year. Now I have the car overseas and it is impossible to find replacement parts or get the recall items fixed. My water pump went out in Bahrain and I had to have my original dealer in NJ find a spare and have it FedEx to me. I am waiting on my car to be shipped to Korea and I already know that there is no one here that can fix it. The car looks good and drives good, but the maintenance is a nightmare and expensive.

Don't ever buy impala ss again
By kittycat23 on 04/30/10 02:44 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet Impala Sedan SS 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

i bought 2006 ss impala nothing but problems my check engine light came on twice sensor went, the wheel bearings front two replace, radio went out on it quiet playing my cds all under 40,000 miles then my tires went less the 2000 miles i put on. bought 1200 a set went out, water pump went out at 42,000 my tie rod went at 50,000, remote starter broke, poor handling during the winter, the radiator croaked at 52,000, the transmission leaked twice the hose of it broke not under warranty, cost 250 dollars never ever buy a gm product again

Almost injured our teenager
By lisa frain on 12/17/09 23:31 PM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet Impala Sedan SS 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I liked a lot about our impala we had a few quirks too. The remote start the tire pressure sensors never worked and after a year the power steering lost it's fluid was fixed by a GM dealer. but the latest was a accident when my daughter was driving the steering failed and she ended up in a ditch. The car a total loss with my child not receiving any injury, but I find this totally unacceptable from a car with less than 42000 miles. It has been maintained and eats oil. I guess that point is moot, because the car is toast. The common thread I see is there. I am upset and angry and can only think of the what ifs My child could have been killed by this failure, Thank God she walked away.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.