2005 Chevrolet Impala Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impala model:
GM Needs to improve quality
By Not Impressed on 10/22/07 16:09 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car used in February 2006. It had been privately owned with 16,000 miles on it. It has the 3.4 liter V6. Two weeks after purchase the CD player quit and had to be replaced. A couple of months later the transmission developed a vibration when shifting from 1st into 2nd. This was apparently a factory defect because there was a campaign out on it. The day I got the car back it began to slip when accelerating from a stop. 3 trips to the dealership to figure this out. A solinoid in the tranny was bad. The manifold gasket started leaking. The steering column rattles and I was told GM was working on this. Not very quickly, my mom's 95 Olds does the same thing. The AC has musty smell too

2005 impala police package
By d.sampath on 10/09/07 12:33 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This car is driven by myself only as a municipal vehicle, it has had a rattle in the front end and been back to the dealer 3 times for this in addition to 3 fan belts. I dont know how in Police Officer could drive one of these uncomfortable, rattle boxes all day long truly a mistake in buying this car.

My 2nd one of this model
By Kevin on 09/26/07 22:39 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 2nd Impala. So far I've had to pay to have the transmission fixed ($1,100.00 - Take it apart) and (3,250.21) to have it fixed. There is a thumping/popping sound when you turn the wheel. That is due to a "shaft thing". That's another $279.99 to fix. There is also a clattering sound when you are in 2nd gear and speed up. Don't know what that's about. The transmission slips and has a hard time changing gears. I don't know why both my Impalas gave me so many problems. I mean my last one was only 1 1/2 years old and the dealer said it's showing wear and tear on the engine and transmission. Come on! It's not even that old. Other than that it starts immediately and rides smooth. I don't even drive my cars rough. I've had my Caliber longer than my Impala lasted. My Caliber is 5 months old. When my Impala was 5 months problems started.

2005 Impala Base Model
By Kristen on 09/14/07 06:54 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This car has been great. Not really had much for expenses other than routine maintenance. Lack of options on the base model, but still a resonabley good buy.

Not happy
By Jeff R on 08/27/07 12:22 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased the Impala because of its reputation and comfort. I'm disappointed. The first 1.5 years were okay except for an annoying jerking when cold and first accelerate. Service could not determine cause after 3 visits. Last two times in for an oil change I was told the front wheel bearings are going bad and intake gasket has a leak - over $2000 in repairs. I lease to avioid maintenance problems. I will take my loss and opt for early out to get rid of this lemon. No more Impalas for me.

The best sedan we've ever owned
By Dave on 07/28/07 00:38 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I've always bought Japanese, but I found a great deal on a used Impala, so I took a chance. I'm so glad I did. The car has had zero problems and it drives like a dream. The seats are very comfortable. My daughter says the rear seats are great, too. Trunk is huge. The best thing about the car is the phenomenal mileage: the Impala gets better mileage than our Subaru but it's much more spacious. The engine has plenty of pep and a satisfying growl that makes it feel like a hot rod. It's really the perfect combination of size, performance and fuel economy. I would buy another one. It's really a great car.

Overall great car
By Wheelman on 06/28/07 05:55 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned for almost two years now and love to drive this car. Great looks, power, handling, and fuel for a full-sized car. And a big trunk. I was driving 128 miles a day to and from work, and now only 63. It's a nice ride. I've had a few issues including turning the brake rotors and had the intermediate steering shaft replaced. The steering shaft was covered by warranty. I enjoy the comfortable ride and plenty of power to get around traffic. I bought this car because of the Consumer reports rates very well, great looks, and fuel mileage for a descent V6. I hope the newer style models rate well for my next purchase down the road.

2005 Impala LS
By ourlivesforhim on 06/09/07 15:07 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this car for 22 months now. A great highway car. I drive 70 miles a day, and have a true average of 25.6 MPG. Some highway and some stop and go. Hard to beat that when you consider this is a full size car. I have had many Honda's in the past. This car is built just as well. Perfect, no, but darn close. The 3.8 is strong and solid. The brakes are excellent. Check the safety ratings! Top of the class. Go Chevy!

Smooth rider
By Drew on 04/12/07 14:26 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This car is very smooth and quiet. There is no center console so you have room to spread out although the backseats aren't as spacious as you might think. My first tank fillups have given me mileages of 21, 22, 19, 29, and 30 with the last two being all highway and the first 3 mixed. Overall I'm very pleased with my purchase but would not buy one brand new because they lose their value very quickly compared to Honda or Toyota. Handling is not very good and the car tends to drift but that is the trade off for a super soft ride.

Low MPG
By Jon on 02/19/07 08:42 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Overall this is a good car. It rides great and looks great. It has many nice interior features, such as dual zone climate control, automatic headlights, and an amazing stock stereo. The trunk is huge. There is plenty of room for an adult to sit on each side of my son's center mounted booster seat. However, my fuel economy is awful. I am concentrating on being as easy on take offs as possible and still only get 17mpg. I have called the dealer and they say that unless the check engine light comes on, there is nothing wrong with the car.