Used 2005 Chevrolet Impala Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

We Love This Car!
By Stan

2005 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned this car for about a year now and it has been great! The only thing I have had to replace is rear brakes and the front rotors probably need replacing or at least to be turned down - minor for a vehicle approaching 100,000 miles. The 3.4L provides more than adequate performance and exceptional gas mileage. I actually do get 24-32mpg. This car is extremely smooth, roomy, fun to drive, comfortable for someone who is 5'1" and the stereo is the best! It makes me wonder why the Consumer Review mags refuse to acknowledge a quality American-made vehicle - consumer rating for the Impala have always been above "editors" reviews. For some reason, they would rather promote Toyota, Honda, etc.

Favorite Features

Style, comfort, roominess, stereo, performance, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Improved front rotors.

Transmission/Shaft Problem
By Kee-Ki

2005 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Beware! I bought my car back in October 2004 brand new. I have replace steering shaft, all radiator components, brakes, and now my transmission is bad. This car was well kept up, when I fix one thing something else breaks down

Favorite Features

song display

Suggested Improvements

Stop using cheap parts

very satisfied
By tony

2005 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This 3.8 v-6 Engine is well known to run over 300,000 miles which is why i bought it i have always owned Gm and have had almost complete success. I made sure i got the 3.8 cause the 3.4 was well known to have problems. i had a 1993 grand prix with the 3.4 with many problems. other than that, the other 6 GM cars I've owned i have run well over 200k miles EACH. I do most of the work on my own cars and have only replaced an hvac temperature sensor for the drivers side in my impala in the two years I've owned it (except oil changes of course). fuel economy is not as good as newer models but they reduced the cars size a lot on 2006 and later models. i am very satisfied. a malibu will be next.

Favorite Features

love the auto dimmer on review mirror and the display with current mpg and outdoor temp.

Suggested Improvements

Bucket seats get uncomfortable on long trips, but this design is not manufactured anymore so whats the point in suggestions :)

Law and Order/Rivals No Match
By PaoloRossi82MVP

2005 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased the 2005 Impala for two reasons: First its Reliability/Outstanding Crash Test (its line has been around at least once every decade since the 1950s). The 3.8 Liter engine is more reliable than the 3.4 Liter engine. Second is the Available Standard Features (More on that later). The Impala drives more like a Luxury Sports Sedan not as a Mid-Size Sedan. I needed a reliable car to take me to and from work, and with the Impala I am actually enjoying it very much. I test driven Accords, Camry, Taurus, Sable, and Maxima (prior to 04 Model Year)in the past, it doesn't have the safety record and safety features that are Standard as it is in the Impala.

Favorite Features

Traction Control ABS Body Spoiler (Body Moldings/Body Kit) Tire Inflation Moniter Oil Life Moniter Spoiler Sports Tuned Suspension Upgraded Radio with Premium Speakers Alloy Wheels Large Trunk Available Cup Holders

Suggested Improvements

Steering Wheel Controls for the Radio Side Air Bags for both Driver and Passenger. The Above are Optional and the latter isn't available for the front Passenger it just has a Driver Side Air Bag.

Steering Shaft/transmission slipping
By Harry McGee

2005 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased car new and when slowing to stop the car shut off 4 different times. It would start back up ok. When starting off transmission slipped 8 times. Starting about 20,000 miles you would hear a clicking sound/bump when you backed up and started off. I went back to the dealer about 10 times trying to get these things taken care of. They would drive the car and say they cannot find anything wrong. Asked them to put all info in the computer. At 35,000, bad rotors, 43,000 bad tire rods, they paid for both. About 80,000 miles replaced Intermediate steering shaft my cost. Driving 2010 Toyoto Camry now. This was my 6th Chev. Impala and I will never buy another Chevrolet. You Decide.