2005 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impala model:
We Love This Car!
By Stan on 02/27/10 23:48 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned this car for about a year now and it has been great! The only thing I have had to replace is rear brakes and the front rotors probably need replacing or at least to be turned down - minor for a vehicle approaching 100,000 miles. The 3.4L provides more than adequate performance and exceptional gas mileage. I actually do get 24-32mpg. This car is extremely smooth, roomy, fun to drive, comfortable for someone who is 5'1" and the stereo is the best! It makes me wonder why the Consumer Review mags refuse to acknowledge a quality American-made vehicle - consumer rating for the Impala have always been above "editors" reviews. For some reason, they would rather promote Toyota, Honda, etc.

Transmission/Shaft Problem
By Kee-Ki on 01/14/10 13:59 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Beware! I bought my car back in October 2004 brand new. I have replace steering shaft, all radiator components, brakes, and now my transmission is bad. This car was well kept up, when I fix one thing something else breaks down

very satisfied
By tony on 12/31/09 11:37 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This 3.8 v-6 Engine is well known to run over 300,000 miles which is why i bought it i have always owned Gm and have had almost complete success. I made sure i got the 3.8 cause the 3.4 was well known to have problems. i had a 1993 grand prix with the 3.4 with many problems. other than that, the other 6 GM cars I've owned i have run well over 200k miles EACH. I do most of the work on my own cars and have only replaced an hvac temperature sensor for the drivers side in my impala in the two years I've owned it (except oil changes of course). fuel economy is not as good as newer models but they reduced the cars size a lot on 2006 and later models. i am very satisfied. a malibu will be next.

Law and Order/Rivals No Match
By PaoloRossi82MVP on 12/25/09 23:35 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased the 2005 Impala for two reasons: First its Reliability/Outstanding Crash Test (its line has been around at least once every decade since the 1950s). The 3.8 Liter engine is more reliable than the 3.4 Liter engine. Second is the Available Standard Features (More on that later). The Impala drives more like a Luxury Sports Sedan not as a Mid-Size Sedan. I needed a reliable car to take me to and from work, and with the Impala I am actually enjoying it very much. I test driven Accords, Camry, Taurus, Sable, and Maxima (prior to 04 Model Year)in the past, it doesn't have the safety record and safety features that are Standard as it is in the Impala.

Steering Shaft/transmission slipping
By Harry McGee on 11/18/09 12:28 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased car new and when slowing to stop the car shut off 4 different times. It would start back up ok. When starting off transmission slipped 8 times. Starting about 20,000 miles you would hear a clicking sound/bump when you backed up and started off. I went back to the dealer about 10 times trying to get these things taken care of. They would drive the car and say they cannot find anything wrong. Asked them to put all info in the computer. At 35,000, bad rotors, 43,000 bad tire rods, they paid for both. About 80,000 miles replaced Intermediate steering shaft my cost. Driving 2010 Toyoto Camry now. This was my 6th Chev. Impala and I will never buy another Chevrolet. You Decide.

05 impala
By idkdude?!?! on 10/14/09 12:22 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this impala about 5 months ago, its my first car. So far it has been a pretty good car, I have had minimal problems with it. I love how roomy and comfortable it is, I have had a full car with 6 ppl in it and we are all still comfortable. I have a dark blue impala with a spoiler and moon roof, performance wise I wish I had gotten the ss (I have the base with the 3.4 v6), the acceleration is decent. Handling is pretty good going 70-80 on the highway, I feel very safe in my impala. The only thing that I have noticed is that whenever I floor it, afterwords you can feel the transmission shifting whenever it changes gears, no idea what it is but it stops whenever I turn it off or on,

2005 Chevrolet Impala 9C1
By SONOFADOCKER on 08/12/09 11:21 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car at a NYPD auction with 106,000 miles for $1800. The car was two years old. Today the car has 156,00 miles and I have only paid for oil changes-few front tires-front brake pads. My first expense will be a power steering pump replacement which should be under $225.00. The car is fast and firm - great AC and heat ( police option) and the stock stereo is great. READY TO BUY ANOTHER ONE even though this one is just fine.

my ss
By trell on 06/11/09 16:47 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Impala SS Supercharged 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

i love this car.... easy to use... everything is there..

I loved this Impala!
By Impala lover on 05/27/09 12:08 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I put this car threw a lot! I bought in 2006 with 20k in 09 it now has 112,254k. It was my everyday car. I have been to houston austin san antonio louisiana and dallas with ease! I took this car through mud and grass. Very few problems. put about $2,000 in the car including up keep. great for rode trips with a bunch of people holds 6. I raced a dodge 1500 and won!

Front Passenger a Big Negative
By Gogo on 05/20/09 18:33 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased the Impala in 2005. The five star rating played a big factor in our purchasing decision. We totaled the vehicle two weeks ago. Definitely not a 5 star in the front passenger seat. A person hit a cow on a state hwy and killed it and we came up pretty quick behind them at 65mph and had to run over the dead cow because we couldn't evade either direction. We went airborne with both air bags deploying. The first impact going over the cow wasn't bad but the airbags deployed and were not still deployed when we came down and hit the pavement and then bounced twice after hitting the ground. Driver received minor injuries. Passenger received head, neck, shoulder and back injuries.