Used 2005 Chevrolet Impala Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Impala

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

dont buy this car unless you enjoy head aches
By jackie55

2005 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car 3 years ago in hopes i would have a good car I drove out of the dealer and the car was pulling to the right bad. I took it back a couple days later to have them tell me it was something called torque steer. It turned out to be a wheel bearing. I replaced it on my own the dealer didn't pay for it and don't you know that torque steer was no longer there. I replace wheel bearings every 6mo. About 4 months later my radio started making crazy noises even when the car was off and all doors were closed. The radio stopped working all together a short time later. Then i noticed puddles of water on the floor in the back seat dont have a clue where its coming from. My dash goes crazy

Favorite Features

When i no longer own it

Suggested Improvements

hmmm radio,wheel bearings the fact water leaks into the car and causes shorts in the wireing that runs under the carpet. Maybe Chevrolet needs to recall a few things on these cars. I have read many other reviews from people having the same problems like me.

Never buying another GM vehicle again...
By workingdogdoc

2005 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a 2005 Impala as a program car that year and it had 28K. It's 2011 and now has 106K. Total crapper. While it's not a bad car to drive around in the city or highway and has pretty generous space, the reliability has totally put me off GM cars for good. I seem to have at least 1-2 major repairs on it per year and my next big one is coming up like clockwork. Woohoo...water heater pump, power steering pump, now fuel pump have all gone out. The heating system also failed. The transmission has a tendency to slip. The instrument cluster has all reset themselves at random intervals, then gone back to being fine. My husband drives a same year Camry and it's night and day more reliable!

Favorite Features

Decently spacious and comfortable. Decent handling.

Suggested Improvements

The reliability is horrible. Never again, GM, never again. I'll be switching to Honda, Toyota, or Subaru most likely.

great value
By mudshark78s

2005 Chevrolet Impala SS Supercharged 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

just purchased this car in february for $7000.00, with 85,000 miles,owned the 3.8 SC in a 96 riviera and new the lighter Impala would fly and have not been dissapointed. came with a few mods,3.4 pulley ,cooler plugs and 180 degree thermostat. did have rusted out oil pan, jb welded it , new one came with purchase ,warmer weather job.definitely aren't many of these available and would recommend one .

Favorite Features

SC 3.8 engine , gauge package,comfortable heated seats, sun roof,

Suggested Improvements

rear wheel drive

$$$$ BIG TIME LEMON $$$$
By angeleyes8523

2005 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This car has been a nightmare since I bought it. The transmission slipped the first day I had it. I had a to replace the converter, thermostat (5 times), had the entire system flushed over 50 times, and the blower motor resistor 2 times, not including the water pump, and O2 sensor. It is pretty bad that the car is constantly overheating, with no heat in the car. When the blower motor resistor goes you have to disconnect the battery because their is no other way to turn off the fan. It will continue to blow even if the key is out. It will not stop even after hours.

Favorite Features

I honestly do not have a favorite feature in this car because I have been putting a ton of money into the constant problems that this car has been having.

Suggested Improvements

I will never buy another Chevy as long as long as I live! Honestly it is the worst car ever and they should get rid of them all!

Comfort and Reliability!
By hotshorts

2005 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This car is honestly the best vehicle I have ever owned. I purchased it in mid-2009 with 52,000 miles on it and it now has 95,000 miles. The only problem I have had thus far was with the instrument panel, but that was fixed under warranty. It has been 100% reliable, always starts, always runs well. I have run full synthetic oil in it since day 1. I have taken this car on several long trips and it is super comfy and has gotten 31 mpg driving at 75 mph. The power is substantial, but I will opt for the 3.8 next time around. Overall this car is hard to beat. Power, comfort, reliability, and great gas mileage for a huge car! A+

Favorite Features

Awesome gas mileage! Built in amplifier makes the system rock right out of the box!

Suggested Improvements

Hmm. I would say I'm totally satisfied with this car and the only thing I would change would be to increase the resell value because this car is worth it's weight in gold!