2005 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impala model:
Great car - value and comfort
By TCD on 09/04/10 20:54 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I've always been a Toyota guy (celicas and camry) but this car changed my mind. As soon as I drove it, I loved it. The front bench seat is so comfy and roomy. No bucket seats that usually restrict my legs and you feel closer to the passenger with no divider (I guess that only matters if you like the passenger). The ride is smooth - soft without being too "floaty" like the big chevy boats of the past. I love the steering on this car, very responsive. The 3.4 base engine has enough power when you need it and gets surprisingly good mileage for a big car. You can see how safe the car is when you look under the hood. Major bracing and crumple features. I got the black with spoiler and sunroof

Electrical Nightmare-RUN-baby-RUN
By ColoradoCyko on 07/13/10 08:01 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

GM has, for years, been having electrical issues, primarily with the instrumentation and blower controls. Our Impala has suffered such a nasty fate. First the speedometer found 6 o'clock and never again moved. Then the Fuel gauge pegs out.($1500 to fix) Then blower motor becomes intermittent, then quits, then smokes. FIRE. The net is full of complaints just like ours. This all starts about 60K miles. Plenty of used for sale, no wonder, so steer clear. If you're an Electrical Engineer and have a fire fighters job, this car is for you.

Solid
By TA on 07/05/10 21:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my impala in 2005 used with 25K on it. Paid $11,900, and five years later car has 170K and still going strong. Had transmission rebuilt at around 125K miles, but other than that no repairs other than routine maint. The overall cost of ownership for the last five years has remained extremely low. Not the most flashy car for sure, but the most reliable car I have ever owned.

Impala is impressive
By TD on 06/18/10 20:48 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I would recommend the Impala to anyone. It has a really cushy ride without being too soft and floaty. The steering is effortless. The seats are extremely comfortable and I love the bench seat. It's much more comfortable than a bucket that is restricting if you have longer legs. The stereo with factory pre-amp is delightful. Gas mileage is impressive for such a big car, I'm getting an average of over 27 MPG with about 1/2 city driving. 4-wheel ABS disc brakes are smooth as silk. Engine seems solid and purrs. I have been a Toyota celica/camry guy for decades now but this car won me over. Congratulations to Chevy for making a car worthy of American label. I love this car.

Improves with time
By Tom on 06/05/10 10:04 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Locale is west coast Canada. Bought ex-lease with 25,000 km for $16,000 CDN. Warranty trans replace, 6 mo. to track down engine misfire to sensor on crank. This is an excellent car once problems are solved (but make sure you have a warranty! Bretts in Chilliwack persisted in tracking down the problems). Comfortable interior--best seats for long trips to Oregon and California of any car we've owned; huge trunk; handles well for a car with such a soft ride (once I replaced Firestones with Michelin ZX's); engine does not use oil. I am giving this car to my son for a wedding present and we'll miss it, but I feel assured that he will be safe because it's a big car with lots of metal!

All Around Solid Car.
By ptcm1 on 05/08/10 14:58 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

The Impala is not the fanciest car out there but it's super reliable and solid sedan. I had no problems with this car other than ordinary maintenance and it had 105,000 miles on it. It's built so you can do most fixes by yourself.

2005 Impala SS
By PM on 04/25/10 09:35 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Impala SS Supercharged 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I recently purchased this car. I love the ride, the style, and the performance. It has around 70,000 miles, and no rattles or squeaks! And while I've had it only a short time (just over a month), I was quite surprised by the low fuel economy. Even while staying off the boost, the MPG is still pretty lousy. I had a 3.8 in a 97 Pontiac GP, and got much, much better mileage. But I guess thats the price one pays for performance! Other than the mileage, no problems at all!

stuck with an impala
By stuck with an impals on 04/09/10 18:23 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I traded in my Dodge caravan for an 05 impala. This is the most uncomfortable car. The cushion pad on right of seat is higher than left, making me sit crooked. If I scoot to left to even out, steering wheel and pedals too far to right, hurting my hip and leg. If legs are comfy to pedals, arms are stretched to wheel, and vice versa. Have to choose sore legs or arms. I cannot find a comfy position for driving this car. I have tried to trade this in for anything at several dealers, but they cant do it. My hip and legs are so so sore when I get out of this car from driving. Am I stuck with a car I hate driving. I want my van back.

LOVE IT! 112k miles & still going strong
By JamieinIA on 03/08/10 11:30 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased our Impala in 2005 when it was less than 1 year old. 5 years later and over 100k miles later it's still a phenomenal vehicle. It is comfortable and roomy. The ride is smooth and engine has a lot of get-up! The stereo is great. Most importantly, it has been a wonderful, reliable family car. We have had zero (non- normal) repairs. Despite the fact that I personally like the look of some of the Nissan and Toyota's more I'm pretty certain my next car will be another Chevrolet (Malibu).

No More For Me
By Tired of it on 02/28/10 23:37 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I wanted an Impala and now I don't. It handles great but the transmission likes to slip a lot. The starter sticks for a few seconds after it has already been started. Have to jump the battery every 4-6 weeks because it likes to randomly die. Alternator shop said it is not the alternator, most likely an electrical short. I have never replaced anything electrical on it so I myself didn't short it out. Engine is sluggish. Also the heater doesn't work half the time. Black trim on outside is already faded. Otherwise the rest is fine but as much trouble as I have had, I will never buy one again.