2005 Impala
By klm005 on
2005 Chevrolet Impala SS Supercharged 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)
I purchased the extended warranty which gave me coverage to 60,000 miles. I loved this car until the problems began. I have replaced tie rods which failed just out of warranty. My biggest problem has been whenever there is a hard, fast rain, the front floor passenger floor fills with water. It happened at least half a dozen times. My dealer said they could do nothing since there was no water when they looked at it. After my warranty expired, my speakers stopped working. The radio is fine, but no sound. There is also no dinging sound for low fuel... Now, at 95,000 miles, my transmission is slipping. I've been told it could be just clogged fuel line. Don't know what to buy next.
Favorite Features
I love the size of the car. Fits a big family comfortably. Split rear folding seat is very convenient for loading the very large trunk. I get about 22 mpg city and 29mpg highway.
Suggested Improvements
GM should take care of problems when they occur instead of saying they can't find anything until warranty runs out. Maybe that was just my dealer, but they represent GM.
By harry4136
on 05/28/13 14:12 PM (PDT)

to stop water on floor raise hood go to passengers side remove black panel under wipers. under this panel you find a cabin filter. it will more then likely be out of place. put it back in place and drill holes at the end of housing run wire over top to keep in place. I also put a lite peace of metal over it to keep water off the filter. good luck.

By livelaughlov3
on 02/25/14 19:18 PM (PST)

I had the same problem with the water and the radio. Turns out Chevy ran the wires for the radio from the stereo in the dash to the speakers in the trunk under the floor panels. Reasonable, right? But they did not however, sufficiently protect the wires. When the floor panels would flood those wires would get wet and eventually rust and snap. So your radio was getting power, but the sound wasn't making it to the speakers. It was a cheap fix, $60 and most of that was just labor.

By ctdrummer
on 03/14/14 11:00 AM (PDT)

I realize this question is a bit old but I will add this fix for the water issue. Harry4136 did get you to the right location but the key to the problem is, once you remove the cabin filter access panel (passenger side black panel under the wipers) there should be a rubber gasket about 5-6 inches long affixed to the metal body structure that sits right beneath the middle of where the black panel mounts. This structure runs in parallel to the length of the windshield. Without this gasket in place, water will enter the floor area of the passenger side. I found the gasket sitting down next to the bottom of the cabin filter and once I mounted it back, no more water. I mounted it in the center of the metal structure. It goes on tight so I suspect either it was never mounted properly at the factory or during the prep of the vehicle, some lazy tech changed the filter and didn't notice the gasket fell off. Hope this helps.