Used 2005 Chevrolet Impala Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Impala Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

My best car yet...
By templetonpeck

2005 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my '05 Impala in January of 2006, it was used with 17k miles. As of now, it has 198k miles. Sad to say, those miles are starting to show. There's a lot of 'nickle and dime' stuff going out (windows roll down, but not up, gauges get stuck, and other things), but she's been a good car for 6+ years and 175k miles. It's time to hand it off to the kids for their school car. If you're looking for a status symbol, the Impala isn't it. If you're looking for a good solid car that will get you to point A to point B, it gets the job done.

What can I say? It's a base Impala... I guess the sunroof was really nice on those cool summer nights. Oh, and I loved the exterior styling. Sharp looking car, according to my taste. I think the newer models took a big turn towards plain (although the 2013's are stepping up the style a bit).

Waste of Money
By kgates75

2005 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car in 2007. It was 2005 and had 14k what a deal I thought. At 50k I had to replace the motor. It had an issue that the dealer stated *Never happens* now at 115k the car needs a new transmission and will not pass emissions. I still owe a years payments on this car. I contacted GM, they apparently do not care that they make crap! Every year I owned this pile I have dumped too much money into it. Engine, suspension, exhaust, tie rod ends, not to mention the regular maintenance. If I could go back I would have bought the Dodge instead. Never will I waste money on a GM vehicle.

None. The radio does not work without the XM service, no rear defrost, heat and air work when they want. Premium rims are a joke have to pay to have them cleaned every year. Rusts easy, poor paint, interior could be better, and the carpet in the truck fell apart.

Use the money you make off of these cars to actually produces a quality vehicle. There are too many improvement suggestions to even fit on here. One improvement- If you look at a Chevy Impala and think *Hey that look like a nice car* Please just keep walking. Save your money.

Dependable for seven years
By kiminoz

2005 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car in 2007 with 30,000 lease miles on it. Didn't fall in love with it right away, but with low miles, V6, and low pricing ($13,999) too good to pass up. Two weeks ago, at 167,000 mi., I totaled it. Most reliable car I ever owned. It did dent easy and speedometer reliability was getting to be spotty, but this was "Old Trusty" for at least 120,000 miles. Great for carting around big teenagers. Would buy another low mileage Impala in a heartbeat.

Roomy comfort. Great for commuting and long trips. V6. Huge trunk!

Bad bad car
By kmfresh

2005 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

My Impala is the most worthless hunk of metal I have ever owned. 05 seems like a bad year for most every car company, but this one is just horrible. It dies at random, the transmission is terrible, it dents SO easily and the AC/Heat AND the fans go out constantly, and those are expensive fixes. I want rid of this headache and I'll never own another older impala again.

Overall quality

Excellent car!!!
By crazymonk2012

2005 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

All I can say is the car is fantastic. Okay those of you that read this review. If you ever buy an earlier Impala. Buy one with a 3.8 okay. They have the fewest of problems. My big plus with the vehicle is the reliability! I mean problems I have seen on this forum are probably really picky people. Although if you look at it. My 2005 Impala has always been reliable. Never broken down before ever!! I love this car and recommend that if you buy this car. Buy one with a 3.8. If you buy a newer Impala do not buy the 3.9 engine. Get the one with the 3.6 liter. Hope this helps you all.

My favorite features is the ride, it is nice a smooth. Also the stereo speakers from factory can put out a bass like no factory speaker I ever heard! The fact that this car requires very low maintenance to keep it running. However if you give it high maintenance this car has the ability to go up to 300,000 miles without having issues.

The dash cluster is one thing that needs improvement. I had one go out, but that is it! Nothing else wrong with it in my opinion.