Used 2005 Chevrolet Impala Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Impala Sedan

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

GM Needs to improve quality
By Not Impressed

2005 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car used in February 2006. It had been privately owned with 16,000 miles on it. It has the 3.4 liter V6. Two weeks after purchase the CD player quit and had to be replaced. A couple of months later the transmission developed a vibration when shifting from 1st into 2nd. This was apparently a factory defect because there was a campaign out on it. The day I got the car back it began to slip when accelerating from a stop. 3 trips to the dealership to figure this out. A solinoid in the tranny was bad. The manifold gasket started leaking. The steering column rattles and I was told GM was working on this. Not very quickly, my mom's 95 Olds does the same thing. The AC has musty smell too

Favorite Features

Comfortable to drive. Good ride. Dual zone climate control.

Suggested Improvements

Improve transmissions and over all quality of the vehicle.

2005 impala police package
By d.sampath

2005 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This car is driven by myself only as a municipal vehicle, it has had a rattle in the front end and been back to the dealer 3 times for this in addition to 3 fan belts. I dont know how in Police Officer could drive one of these uncomfortable, rattle boxes all day long truly a mistake in buying this car.

Favorite Features

The only good thing about this car is the front wheel drive for snow, and the overall appearance.

Suggested Improvements

Leave building police cars to someone else.

My 2nd one of this model
By Kevin

2005 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 2nd Impala. So far I've had to pay to have the transmission fixed ($1,100.00 - Take it apart) and (3,250.21) to have it fixed. There is a thumping/popping sound when you turn the wheel. That is due to a "shaft thing". That's another $279.99 to fix. There is also a clattering sound when you are in 2nd gear and speed up. Don't know what that's about. The transmission slips and has a hard time changing gears. I don't know why both my Impalas gave me so many problems. I mean my last one was only 1 1/2 years old and the dealer said it's showing wear and tear on the engine and transmission. Come on! It's not even that old. Other than that it starts immediately and rides smooth. I don't even drive my cars rough. I've had my Caliber longer than my Impala lasted. My Caliber is 5 months old. When my Impala was 5 months problems started.

Favorite Features

Power everything, nice radio, all right styling on the outside. Smooth ride. Power.

Suggested Improvements

Stronger engine, thicker plastics in the interior, better engine/transmission quality, maybe a graphite interior option. The horn is too quiet. My new Caliber has a much louder horn. My warranty didn't cover the transmission dis-assembly (1,100.00)

2005 Impala Base Model
By Kristen

2005 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This car has been great. Not really had much for expenses other than routine maintenance. Lack of options on the base model, but still a resonabley good buy.

Favorite Features

Great use of cabin space.

Suggested Improvements

ABS is not standard on this year and this model, also my back seat doesn't fold down, which would be nice-even with the huge amount of trunk space available.

Not happy
By Jeff R

2005 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased the Impala because of its reputation and comfort. I'm disappointed. The first 1.5 years were okay except for an annoying jerking when cold and first accelerate. Service could not determine cause after 3 visits. Last two times in for an oil change I was told the front wheel bearings are going bad and intake gasket has a leak - over $2000 in repairs. I lease to avioid maintenance problems. I will take my loss and opt for early out to get rid of this lemon. No more Impalas for me.

Favorite Features

Comfort, good road car, large trunk, good fuel economy for the size.

Suggested Improvements

When will American manufacturers make a car just as reliable as foreign competitors. Two major mechanical problems in first 2 years is rediculous. I'd like to buy a GM product that will last 250,000 miles. In my dreams!