Used 2005 Chevrolet Impala Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Impala

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

2005 Impala LS
By Elliott Viera

2005 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

My 05 Impala is a joy to drive. The 3800 series engine responds effectively and without hesitation. The Goodyear tires are terrible. I will purchase Michelins next time. The interior is very quiet with no rattles. It handles extremely well considering the size of the car. I have had 5 adults in the car with no complaints about leg room or hip room. The interior is spacious and very well laid out.

Favorite Features

The seats are very comfortable and I really enjoy the heat option. The Driver Information Center is very accurate and helpful.

Suggested Improvements

Do away with the Goodyear tires. Add an aftermarket air filter for better performance.

Love the Car
By Ben

2005 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I just bought this vehicle and my wife and I love it! It is sporty, yet big and has lots of room. And the best part is the v6 3800 engine. It provides very good speed and power at the same time getting excellent gas mileage on the highway. Driving is effortless and fun!

Favorite Features

V6 3800 engine, spacious interior

Suggested Improvements

Trunk light and engine hood light

The most lackluster car ever made
By W.G.Ahlers

2005 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought it used in 2005, (Only a few months old) and I think I know why it depreciated $10,000 in only a matter of months. The A/C smells musty, the bottom scrapes everytime I turn into a driveway, my brakes make a strange chirping noise, (Dealer says normal) tranny makes strange grinding noise, (again, normal) the dash pieces are separating, (normal) the carpet pulls away from the lower trim because it was cut too short (normal) GM refuses to fix anything wrong with it. Interior noise is ridiculously loud, I fear that I am making my 20 month old son slowly deaf. No ABS, so when it snows it likes to hit other cars. Heater fries my right foot, yet leaves my left foot frozen solid.

Favorite Features

Eventually, I'll get to trade it in, so I got that going for me. It does have a lot of interior room and gets slightly above average fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Well, for starters, when the car is falling apart, try to fix it. Maybe have some quality control at the factory.

My Impala
By gr8impala

2005 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought it with about 480 miles on it. So far it has been trouble free. Roomy, comfy and kind of sporty looking. Only had the rotors cut and got rid of the horrible tires it came with since in winter it was terrible to drive. I have snows for winter and it's like a 4wd now! Interior is made a bit cheaply but sound, no rattles. It has the not so good rated 3.4 v/6 due to coolant leak problems later on with miledge but I have the 7 year extended coverage so I'm good to go I hope. Powerful engine when you need it, quiet at idle but rough sounding on hard acceleration, it can be quite a zippy car! Handles good, fair amount of body lean on turns but firmer handling tires take care of some of that.

Favorite Features

Controls easy to reach, sporty looking, comfy to drive, dual climate controls. Back seats fold down for more trunk room, like you need more.

Suggested Improvements

Make ABS standard on all models! Offer vinyl dash kits so you can colorize the dash trim color to say...graphite color or chrome, burl wood look,etc.

3 years of Frustration
By Frustrated

2005 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2005 Impala in Dec/04 it was great for about a year. I come from a Chevy/GM family. Now I will never buy another Chevy. In the past year I have had to replace the ignition, fuel pressure regulator and have jerky and sluggish response when accelerating. Even the body is falling apart. Took it to the car wash and parts fell off and to add insult to injury after 3 years im still upside down on a trade! Chevy has really gone down hill! Don't buy a new Chevy unless they start making them like they used to!!

Favorite Features

The gas mileage for the size of the vehicle isn't bad

Suggested Improvements

Everything