Used 2004 Chevrolet Impala Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Impala

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

No More GM`S
By No More GM`S

2004 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the car new. 3000 miles ac compressor froze. 2 steering racks replaced before 55,000 miles. Manifold gasket let go at 60,000 miles. Speedometer sometimes will not work9 (no safety issue here). Now the transmission will occassionally slip when taking off.

Favorite Features

I hope to be dumping it soon.

JUNK
By Kyle

2004 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

04 impala LS/3.8L/90k miles. CClunking in steering wheel, ABS/traction control lights coming on at random, ABS pump coming on at random, cruise control malfunction, loud whining when I turn. I replaced all rotors and brakes, replaced struts, new tires replaced front wheel hubs, alternator, "greased intermediate steering shaft" and aligned wheels. Car still has a slight shake when I drive, still getting the ABS/TC light, ABS pump still engages AND still a light occaisional clunk in the steering column. even went back myself with a multi meter to check each hub individually to see if a sensor failed and check for bad wiring. Checked out OK. I found the problem. All substandard components.

Favorite Features

Leather, CD, sunroof (can get those anywhere)

Suggested Improvements

Trade in.

Best Car Ever
By gtb82l

2004 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We've had our Impala since we bought it new in 04. It is fast, smooth and comfortable, the most comfortable car I've ever ridden in. Seats six with an enormous trunk. We have had absolutely nothing but oil changes, and just recently brakes. I love this car and expect to get another 160,000 miles. We have the Bose stereo and it's the bomb!

Favorite Features

Smooth ride. I have no desire to "feel the road" Acceleration - ZOOM, even with the 3.4

Suggested Improvements

Stop selling it to cops so I won't look like I'm riding in a cop car. (Actually kind of fun making people think I'm an unmarked cop car...)

Very pleased
By joedeemac

2004 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

After driving a 97 Lumina over 110,000 miles with absolutely no trouble and excellent gas mileage I decided to try the Impala. So far this car has also been trouble free. Gas mileage is much better than the EPA rating. I've owned a Honda Accord which was a good car but I did have a few minor problems with. As long as I keep getting trouble free Chevys I'll keep buying them.

Favorite Features

Style and fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

None

Nice Car,But Has Issues
By Mike

2004 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the car with 36,000 miles. Rides Nice. Handles good. At 66,000 miles now and so far we had to replace intake gaskets (oil leaking into antifreeze) $650, water pump$200, steering $138 ( clunked when turning) and now p. C. M module in transmission $779 (shifting hard when cold or going up hill) and a wheel bearing! By reading comments from other people, all have had the same issue. Some not. Wow the impala use to be bulletproof

Favorite Features

Rides smooth, handles Nice, great for long trips. (thank god it did not break down on vacations!) quiet ride. Big trunk

Suggested Improvements

Quit being cheap when building a car. From 2001-2005 had the same body style, same motors etc., you could not work out the bugs in that time!