Used 2004 Chevrolet Impala Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

Good Car
By Kevin

2004 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought with 34K miles and now have 156K. I have replaced wheel bearings at 90K and brakes a few times. Issues I am having now is traction control light on, ABS, Check engine. The security light comes on when I try to start it and it won't let me start for 10-15 minutes. It has never left me stranded and gets 30 mpg. Driver seat has no lumbar support. Heating element in driver seat went out at 55K.

Favorite Features

gas mileage and engine is reliable

Suggested Improvements

better seats

First 1 i've owned after driving several
By little joe

2004 Chevrolet Impala SS Supercharged 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

Most of the variations of the impalas I've driven have been very good and dependable. The one I have just bought recently seems to be very dependable. It has been well maintained other than rock chips all over the hood, (former owners lived on a dirt and gravel road). It has a lot of miles, mostly long distance highway travel. The paint seems to be original and other than being enamel instead of lacquer, it has a quality paint job. The interior is very pleasing to the eye, except for the carpet. The exterior and steering wheel that should be a dark Gray or black color. I'd buy all I could find of them if I could afford to (most would be used for passenger transportation in a shuttle business).

Favorite Features

they are roomy enough for for passengers to ride comfortably. the exterior body style is very appealing. (if you look at it just right you can see various other Chevrolet features, like corvette taillights) the available power in case you need it. the fact it is not related to a Chrysler, or Nissan!

Suggested Improvements

use the 14 or 15 inch mag wheels used on the 78 thrpugh 83 Malibus, Monte Carlos, etc. instead of the 16 and 17 inch wheels that you can't afford to buy tires for. do away with the computers and the airbags. return to rear wheel drive and v8 engines. if you drive them correctly they are cheaper on gas.

GM needs to do better
By craig dickinson

2004 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Owned the vehicle for 4 years. Bought it with 29,000 miles on it; traded it at 90,000 miles. Great 1st two years of ownership. Comfortable back seat, great on long trips, liked the exterior styling. Interior did not hold up. Seat material started looking like an old sweater, paint on interior controls faded away, front seats squeaked endlessly etc. Started getting nickeled and dimed with 150-250 dollar repairs around 70,000 miles; tranny went out at 90k. Bottom line, the car seemed to age very poorly. Would not recommend it as a used car purchase.

Favorite Features

Roomy backseat. V6 engine a little sluggish around town, but great for long distance cruising; fuel economy 21 city; up to 29 mpg highway; huge trunk

Suggested Improvements

transmission whined almost the whole time we had it- finally giving out at 90,000 miles; interior fit and finish was sub par

Love love love my Chevy Impala
By julie

2004 Chevrolet Impala SS Supercharged 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I bought my Chevy Impala SS new and I love it. I did have some problems right after I bought it with something in the steering column which I must admit was very frustrating but this car has started every day for the last 6 years without fail. It has definite power when called upon. This car is a great car and I plan on driving it for many years to come!

Favorite Features

the super charger. the roominess, the truck space is unbelievable. the heated seats are so nice.

Love it
By love my Impala

2004 Chevrolet Impala SS Supercharged 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I have 116,000.00 miles on my Impala, bought it new. Other than normal wear and tear, I have had no issues. I am actually considering buying another one for my next vehicle. I love it!

Favorite Features

looks, comfort