2004 Chevrolet Impala Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impala model:
Piece of junk!!
By HORRIBLE CAR!! on 02/17/10 07:17 AM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my impala from carmax, 2004 3.4L 6cyl, it had 7000 miles when i bought it, it was a good car up to about 50,000 mile, that's when all the problems started.. ive replaced the radiator, and a water pump do to the car starting to over heat outa nowhere, 2 batteries. just recently it wouldn't start anymore, had to get a complete tune up, replace the catalytic converter, plugs, wires, coils, a total of $1500 in repairs. And now its starting to over heat again!!.. DO NOT BUT THIS CAR!!!!

Your Basic Car
By Jon on 02/10/10 12:31 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2004 Chevrolet Impala in 2008. I was reluctant to buy it because of the intake gasket problems on the 3.4 litre V6 engines GM made. So far I haven't had any problems with it. What I love about this car is its simplicity, and comfort. It has responsive acceleration, and the controls are simple and easy to use. The steering is tight, and the car overall is solid. I bought it with 57000 miles on it. I now have 98000 miles on it. I have been impressed so far.

Chevy Needs to Prove they Build Quality
By Jennsavage on 02/01/10 10:51 AM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Impala Sedan SS Supercharged 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I purchased this car about 4 years ago. It had about 35k on it and I purchased an extended warranty for another 35k. I have a black one and the paint job is really cheap looking. IF you have tinted windows, you can't get good reception from the AM radio. After owning the vehicle 1 year we had to replace the radiator, fortunately it was covered under the warranty I had purchased, otherwise that would have cost an about $1500.00 to fix. I can hear a clunk in the steering column, which might be a lose linkage somewhere, but disconcerting. The vehicle and plummeted in value since I purchased it.

Great Car
By Don on 01/30/10 00:38 AM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Impala Sedan SS Supercharged 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

We loved the car overall until the last year. It was a lease car. Most of the time when we got the car up to 50mph the car began to shake and lunge and lurch like it was hurting for gas. We took the car into several car dealers to fix it and they thought we were crazy. We did find one dealer that could see it, but was never able to get it to do it at the right time for the computer to tell there what to fix. Well, after the lease we were sad to give it up, but some poor person probably has it now.

no problems here
By no problems here on 01/05/10 20:56 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car with 50k miles and have had no problems. I drive roughly 50 miles round trip daily and most of this is on country roads and I still average around 22mpg! My only problem with this car is wind noise. I had a new camry and got rid of it. I like the quality of my impala a lot better.

Never Again
By AmberE on 01/04/10 11:51 AM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I am amazed to see how many people on here are having the same problems as I am and there aren't any recalls. I too have had issues with a clunky front end, my abs light coming on at random, and kicking in at random, my traction control light comes on and kicks in also, I now have to turn it off before I start driving because it was kicking in at dangerous times. I have replaced my speedometer. The lights on my rear view mirror work at some moments and not at others. The car is comfy but the pros will never outweigh the cons in this car. I am now considering a Honda or Hyundai or something foreign. I will never buy an impala again. Horrible!

P.O.S. '04 Impala
By Notta GM fan on 12/29/09 04:46 AM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Got it used w/24k on it. Since I have had it I replaced two wheel hubs ($400 each), replaced instrument cluster assembly ($500... gas gauge had stopped working), replaced two heater cores ($900 each), replaced heater control head so the heat could actually get out the vents ($500), ABS light coming on ($1000), replaced steering shaft (warranty), ETC!!

Last Chevy I Will Ever Buy
By bernard on 12/20/09 00:15 AM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Impala Sedan SS Supercharged 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

Speedometer went out at 66,000 miles ($379.93). Light went out on climate control, have to replace whole unit ($336.60). Sometimes windshield wipers don`t work at all. Or won't shut off. Service Traction System light comes on occasionally, then does upon restarting. It seems to me that there is some kind of electrical issue with these cars, as many people experience the same problems.

THE MONEY PIT!!!!!!!!!!
By Erica on 12/05/09 14:26 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have had issues with the security sensor going hay wire, I have installed 2 water pumps in the past 2 yrs, breaks are an annual thing because they are being warped somehow, my battery keeps dying due to some kind of short that has not been found so I had to purchase a battery charger and charge my battery every 2 weeks to make sure I can crank the car and now my transmission is slipping and slamming when I reverse. This car rides smooth however between my annual expenses I have had more bad days then good with this car. Once I get the transmission fixed I am getting rid of this car unless I can get rid of it before then.

Horrible
By Never Again on 10/29/09 09:21 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car in 2004 new with maybe 500-1000 miles on it. They had to replace the dashboard, carpet, starter and thermostat while it was still under warranty. Now that it is not and I own it, it is falling apart. I have just replaced the thermostat and now they are saying it may need a new radiator.