Used 2004 Chevrolet Impala Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

Ridiculously Reliable
By ekkuru

2004 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car from my dad, with nearly two-hundred thousand miles on it. Granted, he treated that thing well, but it's still rolling like new. The only problems it's had was a broken fuel gauge and a warped rotor.

Just a nightmare
By krzykowski

2004 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Where do I start? Bought it with 28K miles in 2006, and sold it for junk last week. Passlock problems, oil in the coolant, gauges that are all over the map. People who seem to know what they're talking about say the 3.4 engine is the problem...that the other engines are fine. But before dying, my children referred to this car as the 'Adventuremobile' because more often than not a trip in the Impala was an adventure. Stay away from the 3.4 engine!

Just a good overall car
By 99snitsky

2004 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I got this car used with 40k. The ride is smooth and you don't feel the bumps unless they are huge. The engine is underpowered for the car at only 180 hp. The seats are comfortable but the middle seat connects to the driver seat which is stupid. The interior is very boring and cheap with cheap plastics and no features, it came with a tape player, so I had to get a CD player. The exterior is nice, esp. the tailights, the paint has a nice shine. The trunk is huge, so you have lots of room for things. Reliable, starts up 1st try. Routine maintenance, wear an tear. The brakes are bad, put hard on to stop, and need replacing often. Other than that turn signals, rack/pinoin lubricating, muffller

Smooth ride, exterior style and paint, reliable. Easy to turn. Huge trunk with lots of room. Easy to use features inside. I am 6 feet 4 inches tall and I fit comfortably. This car has 225/60/16 tires which are very easy to find and the bolt pattern of 5x115 makes finding rims easy.

Brakes, underpowered for the car, need replacing often and rotors like to warp. Very plain interior with lots of cheap plastics and no features. Came with a tape player so had to upgrade to CD player. I have bench seats in front and the front seat connects with the middle which is stupid. The engine is underpowered for the car. A 3.4 V6 with 180 hp. The heater and ac in my car always stays on even when I turn it off. So even though it off either blows out air or heat (whatever setting it is on). Very annoying for in between weather and always changing it because I am either too hot or too cold. Otherwise the heat/ac work fine. Rack/pinoin faulty, need lubricating or replaced and shouldnt.

Most reliable car i've ever seen
By tim_koehler

2004 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

My dad drove this car on a 30 or so mile comute everyday untill i got it in January of 2011. The Impala was handed to me and i expected a little out of it but it has done so much better then i expected. This last winter i was busting drifts with it that trucks couldn't get through! Decent gas mileage the only complaint is i took out the head unit to instal an after-market one and boy was it a mess. We had to get it profesionally done there were so many wires. Great car and i easily recomend it!

Amazing ride and reliablity

Allow rear windows to go all the way down

Great car
By railroad37

2004 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a used 2004 chevy impala at 30,000 miles or 50k 4 years ago and never got stranded or experienced any issues with it besides wear and tear. I am now at 112,000 miles or 187k on it and it still runs like new and still great body no rust. I live in Ontario, Canada and I have done plenty of highway with it including a trip to British Columbia and Oregon Coast with it 2 summers ago and plan to do another trip to California with it soon... I have to say the only issues I have got were little things before such as traction control and abs of course, but that problem went away last summer when I replaced the wheel bearings because the TC and abs have sensors on the bearings.

I like everything about the impala, they're reliable cars.

well someday we will have to find an alternative to gas, bio-deisel would be great or electric if they could be just as reliable