Used 2004 Chevrolet Impala SS Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

Most Helpful|
2004 IMPALA SS "INDY" - ALMOST PERFECT
By Edward Dudek

2004 Chevrolet Impala Sedan SS Supercharged 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

2 "Indy SSs arrived at "my" dealership & I shot over with my driving gloves. I gave a salesman a "serious" 1 hr road test. After the test he said that my reputation had preceeded me & he knew he was in for it when I got behind the wheel. I didn't disappoint him & I bought the "Indy" that day. I'm prejudiced toward Implalas having owned a '01 LS. It was problem free, fun to drive & got a lot of compliments. The '04 "Indy", 240HP supercharged is better. Steering & suspension are tight. Terrific engine response-smooth shifts & the engine wants to pull forever! Beautiful 17" diamond-cut aluminum wheels. The P235/55R17 "W" Goodyear Eagle's & large discs haul it down quickly. It has few negatives.

Favorite Features

Fast, quick responding. Lots of torque. Good road feel. Brakes don't seem to fade. Nimble for a large car with acceptable lean in tight curves with no sudden car geometry surprises. High quality leather seats. Controls easy to read/reach. Lots of interior & truck room. Good paint finish & panel fit.

Suggested Improvements

3800 TYPE III 260HP Grand Prix engine or even 280-300HP. If GM/Chevy did it right it could have been the Indy '04 pace car. In the future HP should back up names/logos. For '06 add 3" of thigh support to the front seats, 2 side air bags & head curtains. Needs tuned exhaust to sound high performance!

First 1 i've owned after driving several
By little joe

2004 Chevrolet Impala Sedan SS Supercharged 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

Most of the variations of the impalas I've driven have been very good and dependable. The one I have just bought recently seems to be very dependable. It has been well maintained other than rock chips all over the hood, (former owners lived on a dirt and gravel road). It has a lot of miles, mostly long distance highway travel. The paint seems to be original and other than being enamel instead of lacquer, it has a quality paint job. The interior is very pleasing to the eye, except for the carpet. The exterior and steering wheel that should be a dark Gray or black color. I'd buy all I could find of them if I could afford to (most would be used for passenger transportation in a shuttle business).

Favorite Features

they are roomy enough for for passengers to ride comfortably. the exterior body style is very appealing. (if you look at it just right you can see various other Chevrolet features, like corvette taillights) the available power in case you need it. the fact it is not related to a Chrysler, or Nissan!

Suggested Improvements

use the 14 or 15 inch mag wheels used on the 78 thrpugh 83 Malibus, Monte Carlos, etc. instead of the 16 and 17 inch wheels that you can't afford to buy tires for. do away with the computers and the airbags. return to rear wheel drive and v8 engines. if you drive them correctly they are cheaper on gas.

Great Car
By Don

2004 Chevrolet Impala Sedan SS Supercharged 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

We loved the car overall until the last year. It was a lease car. Most of the time when we got the car up to 50mph the car began to shake and lunge and lurch like it was hurting for gas. We took the car into several car dealers to fix it and they thought we were crazy. We did find one dealer that could see it, but was never able to get it to do it at the right time for the computer to tell there what to fix. Well, after the lease we were sad to give it up, but some poor person probably has it now.

Favorite Features

the power

Suggested Improvements

dealers need to start listening the the owners that are driving the car on a regular basis to fix problems.

Chevy Needs to Prove they Build Quality
By Jennsavage

2004 Chevrolet Impala Sedan SS Supercharged 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I purchased this car about 4 years ago. It had about 35k on it and I purchased an extended warranty for another 35k. I have a black one and the paint job is really cheap looking. IF you have tinted windows, you can't get good reception from the AM radio. After owning the vehicle 1 year we had to replace the radiator, fortunately it was covered under the warranty I had purchased, otherwise that would have cost an about $1500.00 to fix. I can hear a clunk in the steering column, which might be a lose linkage somewhere, but disconcerting. The vehicle and plummeted in value since I purchased it.

Favorite Features

Leather seats, get up and go with the supercharger

Suggested Improvements

Better quality, better paint, a radio that works with tinted windows.

Love love love my Chevy Impala
By julie

2004 Chevrolet Impala Sedan SS Supercharged 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I bought my Chevy Impala SS new and I love it. I did have some problems right after I bought it with something in the steering column which I must admit was very frustrating but this car has started every day for the last 6 years without fail. It has definite power when called upon. This car is a great car and I plan on driving it for many years to come!

Favorite Features

the super charger. the roominess, the truck space is unbelievable. the heated seats are so nice.