2004 Chevrolet Impala Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impala model:
Most reliable car i've ever seen
By tim_koehler on 06/09/11 19:02 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

My dad drove this car on a 30 or so mile comute everyday untill i got it in January of 2011. The Impala was handed to me and i expected a little out of it but it has done so much better then i expected. This last winter i was busting drifts with it that trucks couldn't get through! Decent gas mileage the only complaint is i took out the head unit to instal an after-market one and boy was it a mess. We had to get it profesionally done there were so many wires. Great car and i easily recomend it!

Great car
By railroad37 on 06/02/11 04:28 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a used 2004 chevy impala at 30,000 miles or 50k 4 years ago and never got stranded or experienced any issues with it besides wear and tear. I am now at 112,000 miles or 187k on it and it still runs like new and still great body no rust. I live in Ontario, Canada and I have done plenty of highway with it including a trip to British Columbia and Oregon Coast with it 2 summers ago and plan to do another trip to California with it soon... I have to say the only issues I have got were little things before such as traction control and abs of course, but that problem went away last summer when I replaced the wheel bearings because the TC and abs have sensors on the bearings.

Impala Review
By Sw on 10/31/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle brand new with on 26 miles on. I had all maintenance performed at the dealership & still do. At 70, 000 miles the vehicle started experiencing problems with the ABS & Traction Control while turning or slowing down at low speed. Also the instrument cluster stopped working i.e. speedometer, thermostat gauge, engine Rpm monitor. I had the thermostat replaced under warranty. GM should invest in better parts for a more reliable vehicle. Other than that I travel daily through 3 cities & the veh gets good mileage on the hwy.I would purchase another one only if GM modified their parts! This is the 2nd GM veh I have owned both brought new with the same problems, no more!

Good Car
By Kevin on 08/10/10 09:02 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought with 34K miles and now have 156K. I have replaced wheel bearings at 90K and brakes a few times. Issues I am having now is traction control light on, ABS, Check engine. The security light comes on when I try to start it and it won't let me start for 10-15 minutes. It has never left me stranded and gets 30 mpg. Driver seat has no lumbar support. Heating element in driver seat went out at 55K.

Impala
By Phil on 03/20/10 19:28 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We had purchased new in 2004, On the most part I like my Impala. Drives on the highway very well. The interior could be better designed IE:parts used fill cheap, Cup holders are on the arm rest in between driver and front passenger placing a cup of coffee is very awkward, Interior lighting is not placed to help you see, Map lights are built into the mirror and you have to lean forward to see the map. The radio has problems with the reception, I am told it is because of the back window defroster. The suspension could have been better designed We are on our third set of tires, Second set of rotors front and back, Replaced the heater blower, Alignment each time the tires were changed.

no problems here
By no problems here on 01/05/10 20:56 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car with 50k miles and have had no problems. I drive roughly 50 miles round trip daily and most of this is on country roads and I still average around 22mpg! My only problem with this car is wind noise. I had a new camry and got rid of it. I like the quality of my impala a lot better.

Never Again
By AmberE on 01/04/10 11:51 AM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I am amazed to see how many people on here are having the same problems as I am and there aren't any recalls. I too have had issues with a clunky front end, my abs light coming on at random, and kicking in at random, my traction control light comes on and kicks in also, I now have to turn it off before I start driving because it was kicking in at dangerous times. I have replaced my speedometer. The lights on my rear view mirror work at some moments and not at others. The car is comfy but the pros will never outweigh the cons in this car. I am now considering a Honda or Hyundai or something foreign. I will never buy an impala again. Horrible!

P.O.S. '04 Impala
By Notta GM fan on 12/29/09 04:46 AM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Got it used w/24k on it. Since I have had it I replaced two wheel hubs ($400 each), replaced instrument cluster assembly ($500... gas gauge had stopped working), replaced two heater cores ($900 each), replaced heater control head so the heat could actually get out the vents ($500), ABS light coming on ($1000), replaced steering shaft (warranty), ETC!!

OUTSTANDING CAR
By robert on 10/06/09 22:50 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

O my gosh where to start it rides smooth looks clean love the body style chorm wheels, the only problem is the dang traction light and the check engine light keeps coming on when the weather change, kind confess other than that love it to death.

No More GM`S
By No More GM`S on 08/20/09 09:39 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the car new. 3000 miles ac compressor froze. 2 steering racks replaced before 55,000 miles. Manifold gasket let go at 60,000 miles. Speedometer sometimes will not work9 (no safety issue here). Now the transmission will occassionally slip when taking off.