Used 2004 Chevrolet Impala Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Impala Sedan

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

A few problems but awesome to drive
By jquinones

2004 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Ok there were a few problems to the build. there was a design flaw that allows water to go from the front of the car by the hood, to the back passenger side. The amp power cord splits into 2 between the front and the rear seats. and the water corrodes that. so you have to fix that, also the front always scrapes when I go up on something. other than that its a really good car nice and roomy inside too. "I have a 6'5" cousin that wanted to buy my car." It has a lot of torque too, you just floor it and you can feel it just kick in a few seconds later.

Favorite Features

really roomy, the torque is awesome, always starts good starter family car 1 to 2 kids. trunk space is amazing really big for groceries. i have a milk crate in the back with some tools my own jack and i can fill it with groceries for the week and there is still enough room to fit a body in there. HUGE TRUNK

Suggested Improvements

There is an amp design flaw that I see many impalas have "2001 to 2006" Impalas its a pain to fix because you have to find where the amp wire splits and cut that off and replace the corroded wire. Also it scrapes a lot on the front of the car. When you go into alleys or into parking lots you have to go slow and on an angle so you dont scrape.

absolutely perfect
By gerrith

2004 Chevrolet Impala Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have never owned a better car. I fell in love with my impala the second I drove it. Their not joking when they say "torquey v6". Its definitely got power to it, with a nice little intake rumble as a bonus! I never had any major problems with it. Everyday wear and tear such as transmission fluid changes, brake rotors and pads, and one of my bulbs went out. I was always working on my previous cars whether it was a valve cover gasket, tie rods, struts, water pump, alternator, etc. This car needed nothing! I bought it at 224,000 miles, and drove it to 261,000 miles, and it never gave me a single issue. Every time I stuck the key in the ignition, it was ready to go! 10/10!!!!

Favorite Features

Everything is where it should be, very easy and cheap to work on, extremely reliable, amazing gas mileage without compromising power, smooth and comfortable ride, everything about it.

Suggested Improvements

They could have lowered the car rougly 1.2" for appearance, but no complaints!

Great family sedan
By jtemple5

2004 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car used in 2012 with around 55K miles, and have only had a few minor issues which are to be expected. The front bench seat has helped when the kids friends are over, and the trunk space fits everything we needed it to for a long vacation. Excellent in all weather, great comfort, and a great value, it even survived a fairly serious accident and was able to be completely repaired - a great solid GM car like all my others have been!

Favorite Features

Roomy interior, great handling for the size, excellent in the snow, overall quality.

Good car, great value
By renoron

2004 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have had to replace the battery 2 times in 9 years I've had this car. I attribute this to the difficult climates of the Las Vegas summer (116 daytime highs) and the Reno Winters it has had to endure (7 degree mornings). Two water pumps, and two fuel pressure regulators (one of which was due to a defective replacement part). Other than that, it's spoiled me as it doesn't leak anything, runs smooth, and has me expecting it to start reliably. I also put a set of Michelins on it at 30000 miles. First car I bought with my wife the year our baby daughter was born (new). Hope I can keep it going like my wife's 73 Cougar.

Favorite Features

Too bad Chevy didn't keep this one in production as it was a winner. Exterior design is wonderful.

Suggested Improvements

Cooling system, interior could be made more luxurious.

Ridiculously Reliable
By ekkuru

2004 Chevrolet Impala Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car from my dad, with nearly two-hundred thousand miles on it. Granted, he treated that thing well, but it's still rolling like new. The only problems it's had was a broken fuel gauge and a warped rotor.