Used 2004 Chevrolet Impala Base Consumer Reviews - 114 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Impala

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

I'm on my 2nd one, wonderful cars.
By J. Montague

2004 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned 2 of these cars, I bought a 2005 brand new it had 7 mi on it. It lasted until 2015 when the transmission went out at 215K miles. Now that I'm retired and not commuting 60 miles a day I decided to buy another one. I now on a 2004 Base with the sports appearance package that had 72,000 mIles (now 77,820) from the original owners. These cars are very reliable, all I did in the '05 was oil changes, tune ups, fuel filters, pretty much preventative maintenence. The only issue with these cars that I have is the transmissions. Around 75,000 miles it begins to slip gears (not skip) all it needs is the solenoids need replaced. I did it on the 2005 and I'm planning on doing it on my current 2004 here soon along with a flush, filter change, and fill. I get excellent mileage I can get 22-25mpg with mixed driving and on the recent 500 mile round trip I took to Milwaukee with 100% highway driving with the cruise on 65 I got 30.4 mpg. The ride is wonderful, my wife has a 2013 Nissan Sentra and I can't stand it, it may get wonderful gas mileage, but the ride is harsh and it's very small for my long legs I can't get a good seat adjustment. I assume take the Impala. You can buy these for cheap with around 150K miles for about $2500.00, these are definetly worth the money and are almost bullet proof except for the transmission & lower intake gaskets. If you want a nice reliable car that does decent on gas and is minimal on repairs if maintained, then look for one of these, if they were decently taken care of, you can have a wonderful car for a decent price. Even my 2005 wasn't badly priced when it was brand new (around $21,500)

I absolutely love this car to death.
By Jamie St Amand

2004 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I absolutely love this car. For a 2004 and for when my husband and I purchased it in 2013 it's an absolute value. We got it with about 145,000 miles on it. We've had to do some minor repairs on it but that's about it. Great car overall. Corners well, drives great, runs great, and the supercharger tops it off! I can get from the beginning of a freeway entrance ramp at 0 and be at 100 by the end of it even on a short ramp. I love to drive this car and I want to get another one eventually. I highly recommend the impala cause they last through everything as long as you take great care of them.

Fabulous Car
By Mike

2004 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used on the last day of 2007; it had 75000 miles on it.
In the past 110,000 miles/~8 years of ownership this has been a very reliable car. It consistently gets 28MPG on the highway. It has a smooth ride, and the seats are quite comfortable. The driver's side has adjustable lumbar support. The controls are all easily reachable while driving. Handles in the snow like a dream.
I have replaced the battery once. I have just put the second set of brakes on it about a week ago. At 185000 miles it still does not burn any oil. It is quiet when driven down the interstate. The trunk is cavernous. Plenty of room for rear-seat passenger - my 6'5" son has ridden back there when he has visited. Good visibility.
It has started every time I have turned the key - except that one time I had to replace the battery. I only hope that every car I buy is as faithful to me as this car has been. Chevy got this one right!

The headlights got foggy from age/weather and so I decided to replace them. What an easy job that was. 15 minutes total, and that includes upackimg the lights. A single clip holds the headlight to the car.

A few problems but awesome to drive
By jquinones

2004 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Ok there were a few problems to the build. there was a design flaw that allows water to go from the front of the car by the hood, to the back passenger side. The amp power cord splits into 2 between the front and the rear seats. and the water corrodes that. so you have to fix that, also the front always scrapes when I go up on something. other than that its a really good car nice and roomy inside too. "I have a 6'5" cousin that wanted to buy my car." It has a lot of torque too, you just floor it and you can feel it just kick in a few seconds later.

really roomy, the torque is awesome, always starts good starter family car 1 to 2 kids. trunk space is amazing really big for groceries. i have a milk crate in the back with some tools my own jack and i can fill it with groceries for the week and there is still enough room to fit a body in there. HUGE TRUNK

There is an amp design flaw that I see many impalas have "2001 to 2006" Impalas its a pain to fix because you have to find where the amp wire splits and cut that off and replace the corroded wire. Also it scrapes a lot on the front of the car. When you go into alleys or into parking lots you have to go slow and on an angle so you dont scrape.

Great family sedan
By jtemple5

2004 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car used in 2012 with around 55K miles, and have only had a few minor issues which are to be expected. The front bench seat has helped when the kids friends are over, and the trunk space fits everything we needed it to for a long vacation. Excellent in all weather, great comfort, and a great value, it even survived a fairly serious accident and was able to be completely repaired - a great solid GM car like all my others have been!

Roomy interior, great handling for the size, excellent in the snow, overall quality.