Used 2004 Chevrolet Impala Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impala model:

Good Car
By Lanita

2004 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2004 Chevy Impala LS performance is great, but a few problems so far. Bought at 109,000 miles but when it rains outside it somehow creates a small puddle in the front passenger side floor. Also hesitates to start after i get gas, and trembles sometimes when i start it. But i still love it strong and powerful engine, and usually gets me where i need to go.

Fabulous Car
By Mike

2004 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used on the last day of 2007; it had 75000 miles on it. In the past 110,000 miles/~8 years of ownership this has been a very reliable car. It consistently gets 28MPG on the highway. It has a smooth ride, and the seats are quite comfortable. The driver's side has adjustable lumbar support. The controls are all easily reachable while driving. Handles in the snow like a dream. I have replaced the battery once. I have just put the second set of brakes on it about a week ago. At 185000 miles it still does not burn any oil. It is quiet when driven down the interstate. The trunk is cavernous. Plenty of room for rear-seat passenger - my 6'5" son has ridden back there when he has visited. Good visibility. It has started every time I have turned the key - except that one time I had to replace the battery. I only hope that every car I buy is as faithful to me as this car has been. Chevy got this one right! The headlights got foggy from age/weather and so I decided to replace them. What an easy job that was. 15 minutes total, and that includes upackimg the lights. A single clip holds the headlight to the car.

A few problems but awesome to drive
By jquinones

2004 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Ok there were a few problems to the build. there was a design flaw that allows water to go from the front of the car by the hood, to the back passenger side. The amp power cord splits into 2 between the front and the rear seats. and the water corrodes that. so you have to fix that, also the front always scrapes when I go up on something. other than that its a really good car nice and roomy inside too. "I have a 6'5" cousin that wanted to buy my car." It has a lot of torque too, you just floor it and you can feel it just kick in a few seconds later.

really roomy, the torque is awesome, always starts good starter family car 1 to 2 kids. trunk space is amazing really big for groceries. i have a milk crate in the back with some tools my own jack and i can fill it with groceries for the week and there is still enough room to fit a body in there. HUGE TRUNK

There is an amp design flaw that I see many impalas have "2001 to 2006" Impalas its a pain to fix because you have to find where the amp wire splits and cut that off and replace the corroded wire. Also it scrapes a lot on the front of the car. When you go into alleys or into parking lots you have to go slow and on an angle so you dont scrape.

absolutely perfect
By gerrith

2004 Chevrolet Impala LS 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have never owned a better car. I fell in love with my impala the second I drove it. Their not joking when they say "torquey v6". Its definitely got power to it, with a nice little intake rumble as a bonus! I never had any major problems with it. Everyday wear and tear such as transmission fluid changes, brake rotors and pads, and one of my bulbs went out. I was always working on my previous cars whether it was a valve cover gasket, tie rods, struts, water pump, alternator, etc. This car needed nothing! I bought it at 224,000 miles, and drove it to 261,000 miles, and it never gave me a single issue. Every time I stuck the key in the ignition, it was ready to go! 10/10!!!!

Everything is where it should be, very easy and cheap to work on, extremely reliable, amazing gas mileage without compromising power, smooth and comfortable ride, everything about it.

They could have lowered the car rougly 1.2" for appearance, but no complaints!

Great family sedan
By jtemple5

2004 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car used in 2012 with around 55K miles, and have only had a few minor issues which are to be expected. The front bench seat has helped when the kids friends are over, and the trunk space fits everything we needed it to for a long vacation. Excellent in all weather, great comfort, and a great value, it even survived a fairly serious accident and was able to be completely repaired - a great solid GM car like all my others have been!

Roomy interior, great handling for the size, excellent in the snow, overall quality.

• SUV