2003 Chevrolet Impala 3.4L V6 4-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Lower Intake Manifold Gasket

2003 Chevrolet Impala - Consumer Review

Base Sedan (3.4L V6 4-speed Automatic)

Lower Intake Manifold Gasket
By Dion on

2003 Chevrolet Impala 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car new in November of 2002 as we needed a roomy family sedan and the Impala was the greatest value at that time. I never was a Chevy guy but with our financial situation at the time, the car was too good to ignore. It has the 3.4L motor. Later I found out that these motors have a design flaw which can cause major engine damage if not addressed right away. The repair cost for the lower intake is $850 but GM covered it as the car was under warranty. Boy in hindsight I should have questioned the oily slime under my father's radiator cap in his Grand Am which also had the problem. But I didn't and he paid the $850. If it lasts to 200k miles, still a great deal and comfortable.

Favorite Features

Car looks great and is comfortable and roomy. Great for long drives as it is quiet and smooth. Drivetrain is great and if not for the lower intake issue, I'd rate it a 10 out of 10. Gas mileage is very good on highway.I love the old style front bench seats though not quite like my '72 Buick Electra.

Suggested Improvements

Brakes stink-needed new pads and rotors at 25k miles. Climate control fan no longer functions on 1 and 2 speed setting. Suspension is a little too mushy even for a car that is not a performance vehicle. GM should write a minimum of a $850 check to all customers who had to have the gaskets replaced.